Thread: MLB Forces Pujols' Hand

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

MLB MLB Forces Pujols' Hand

Major League Baseball on Thursday announced Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols as a headliner in its annual All-Star Game Home Run Derby. Apparently someone forgot to tell El Hombre. Pujols reacted with surprise following Thursday's win when approached about his participation in the July 13 long-ball carnival, which allegedly includes his participation in a "Call Your Shot" promotion sponsored by State Farm Insurance. "When is the All-Star Game, six months from now?" asked a puzzled Pujols about the July 14 game. "If my elbow's not healthy, I'm not doing it." Pujols and Cardinals Hall of Fame shortstop Ozzie Smith were announced Thursday as official spokesmen for the MLB FanFest to be staged July 10-14 at America's Center. Pujols on Thursday confirmed that aspect but insisted he has no knowledge of his participation in the Home Run Derby or a promotion in which he attempts to launch a ball to a far reach of Busch Stadium designated by a selected fan. Insisted Pujols: "I know they're using my picture and everything to promote the All-Star Game, but I have never heard that."
    Seems like a pretty shitty thing to do to the best player in the game, setting him up to disappoint. Pujols will be the host of the town but MLB has no right to make him the poster boy of the Derby without even asking him. And now if he doesn't participate, he will look like the bad guy just like Bonds did when SF held the All Star game. What the hell were they thinking?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: MLB Forces Pujols' Hand

6 months? try 3 months Palbert. unless he's on the DL, he'll be there. MLB should have asked him or told him about it though.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    What the hell were they thinking?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    And now if he doesn't participate, he will look like the bad guy just like Bonds did when SF held the All Star game.
    I disagree...I don't think people will look upon him negatively for missing the HR Derby because of an injury.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

They will if MLB builds Pujols up like they have begun to.

MLB ERA

its in STL, if he's playing in regular season games, then he needs to hit in the derby
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Just because hes playing in regular season games doesn't mean that he has to be in the derby. The derby is not nearly as important.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    its in STL, if he's playing in regular season games, then he needs to hit in the derby
    bullshit. His first responsibility is to the cardinals. if the cardinals dont think its worth him being in the derby, then he shouldnt be in there, especially if his elbow flares up at any time.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I place in the HR Derby in the same regard as the WBC. Baseball is one of those sports were the team that pays you is the most important aspect of the game. This isn't soccer where you have guys leave a team that s paying them in order to prepare for something else.

I agree that Albert's first loyalty is to the Cards, HR Derby is something that would be nice to do and win, but is not as important.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    bullshit. His first responsibility is to the cardinals. if the cardinals dont think its worth him being in the derby, then he shouldnt be in there, especially if his elbow flares up at any time.
    Exactly, that is the reason why Pujols usually doesn't participate in the derby. He doesn't like how it messes with a player's swing, and because it could cause an injury. Pujols knows he is good, and he doesn't need a derby to prove that. His #1 concern is helping the Cardinals win.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

* Albert Pujols clarified things regarding the Home Run Derby today. He said he was mostly caught off-guard by the announcement and the questions about it yesterday, but that he'd like to participate. And if he's on the All-Star team and healthy, he fully expects to participate.
    Obviously, You're Not a Golfer: Friday tidbits