Thread: Schilling talks up Sabathia (for my friend Steak - Giggle)

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Schilling talks up Sabathia (for my friend Steak - Giggle)

INDIANS INSIDER
    Schilling talks up Sabathia
    Friday, June 24, 2005
    Paul Hoynes
    Plain Dealer Reporter
    The message went from Curt Schilling through Arthur Rhodes to one of the Indians bat boys: Schilling wanted to talk to C.C. Sabathia.

Schilling often credits a meeting he had with Roger Clemens many years ago for turning his career around. Clemens did not mince words in that meeting, saying Schilling needed to work harder.

Wednesday's meeting between Schilling and Sabathia did not carry that tone.

"I'm not sure he has an idea of how unbelievably dominating he can be," said Schilling, "and I don't say that disrespectfully."

Schilling watched Sabathia give up a career-high nine earned runs in 4?innings Monday in a 10-9 loss to Boston. The pitching line did not change Schilling's opinion of the 6-7 left-hander.

"If he makes 35 starts, there's a better than average chance that his team is going to win every one of them," said Schilling. "You can't say that about too many guys in this game."

The Indians brought Sabathia to the big leagues in 2001. He was 20 and won a career-high 17 games. For the last two years, although some fans will debate it, General Manager Mark Shapiro and manager Eric Wedge, have considered Sabathia their No. 1 starter.

"He's a true No. 1," said Schilling. "He's the kind of pitcher I'm going to stay up and watch if the game is on . . . He's got a good head on his shoulders. Based on my brief chat with him, I think he's the type of guy who when he learns to locate, can throw a 120-pitch complete game with all fastballs."

Link
    Last edited by Jennifer; 06-24-2005 at 02:21 PM. Reason: To color quote

AA ERA
    Nice to see one big mouth sujpport another big mouth.

In all seriousness, it's always good to see the veteran pitchers giving the the next up-and-coming pitchers some guidance and wisdom. That's what it should be in sports. You saw Nolan Ryan giving Randy Johsnon tips about success when Johnson was getting his feet wet with the Mariners and you saw Clemens doing the same with Curt. You also saw Johnson giving Chris Young a pep talk. I like it and that's the way it should be.