Thread: The AL Cy Young Race will be intriguing

AA ERA

The AL Cy Young Race will be intriguing

Well my article on the AL Central Race hasn't really worked out as I cited that there would be a four-team dogfight in that division when in reality, it will be a two-team race. With that said, I don't think I will be off the mark on the AL Cy Young Race. You can make a case for any pitcher in the AL for this race. It will come down to Johan, Halladay, Buherle, and Garland. You can make a case for either of them.

Johan has been good, but he has not matched up to last year's performance yet even though there is still plenty of time. Johan will be in this race though all year and you know he will get hot in the dog days of summer.

Buherle never gets much recognition in the national media for unknown reason which is unfortunate. He is pretty darn good and this year is no exception. He will definitely be there.

I keep waiting for Garland to fade like his team, but his team and him just keep winning. I never figured Garland would be this good, but he has been very good. I doubt the White Sox and even Jon Garland expected that. Garland has a shot.

Roy Halladay is doing what he did two years ago when he won the Cy. He is just throwing strikes out there and making quick work of teams. I saw him pitch against the Cardinals Monday night and he was just terrifying out there. The guy has 10 wins and 5 CGs. Obviously, he will be in the ASG and Terry Francona has to make a decision on who to start whether it's Halladay or Garland.

If I have to choose the favorite right now to win the Cy Young Race in the AL, it's Roy Halladay. When he is on, forget it. This guy is just pitching sick right now. He is pitching the best out of those guys.

It should be a very interesting race for sure.

No love for Kenny Rogers?

If Bedard comes back from injury well, he has a shot.

Halladay is still the clear favorite though.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Rogers will likely fade in the second half just like he did last year; 12-3 before All-Star break, 6-6 after All-Star break. He's just too old to be taken seriously.

MLB ERA
    Halladay vs Johan, is what I think its going to come down too. Johnson hast been doing too well, but like you said still plenty of time left.

At this point, he has to be a consideration. He will likely fade, but he's still been the 2nd best in the AL (and he was never this good last year).

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    No love for Kenny Rogers?.
    There is no love for him because he will fade in August and September with that Texas heat and he is just not in the class of Buherle, Johan, and Halladay,

And Garland is? What has he proven?

He is only moderately worse (.39 ERA wise) after the all star break than prior to it over the past few years.

AA ERA
    I shouldn't have included him in this race, but I put him there based on his record as a sign of respect. I expect him to fade too along with Rogers.

His record isn't that impressive to me. Obviously, 10-2 is, but a full run worse than Rogers with a higher WHIP.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Bedard isn't coming back for another month. That alone should keep him out. Halladay is the clear cut favorite right now. Rogers needs love til he actually does drop out of the race.

Rookie ERA
    Garland doesn't strike out enough batters to truly be dominating out there on the mound like Roy and Johan. Same can be said with Rogers and the fact that the media hates him doesn't help. Has Erik Bedard release sped up yet (pre-injury)? That one game he pitched against Toronto was a joke as he took over a minute in between pitches.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    With the 20-game suspension, Rogers should miss... 3 starts? I'd say that will definately hurt his case to be in the Cy Young discussions.

AA ERA
    I wonder if Kenny makes the All-Star team in light what happened. Johan could have a rough time making the ASG with the type of years lot of pitchers are having.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If you blink, you might miss a Buerhle outing.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.