Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst 5 MLB Pitching Contracts?

MLB ERA

Re: Worst 5 MLB Pitching Contracts?

Zito and Schmidt's contacts look bad now, but when they signed those contracts, they deserved the money based on what they have done in there previous track record. Unlike Burnett, who had one good year and gets a huge deal, thats where I have a problem with his contract.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by JCBizkit87 View Post
    How do you put someone who hasn't pitched yet under his current contract? Ok, since the guy is obviously being biased against New York. How about 51.1 Million to just talk to a guy? Not to mention the guy is about a 5 inning pitcher.
    He averaged 6 innings pitched and I don't think you get to complain when he was 18-3 with a 2.90 era, thats worth the money.

MLB Career records

Player A: 33-15 3.7 ERA Average innings pitches 186.2 2:1 k/bb ratio whip of 1.32 (makes 9.5 million)

Player B: 87-76 3.81 ERA average innings pitched 137 IP (over last 10 seasons) 175 IP in 7 "healthy" seasons 2:1 K/BB ratio (makes 16.5 mil a year)

Who would you rather have?
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    He averaged 6 innings pitched and I don't think you get to complain when he was 18-3 with a 2.90 era, thats worth the money.

MLB Career records

Player A: 33-15 3.7 ERA Average innings pitches 186.2 2:1 k/bb ratio whip of 1.32 (makes 9.5 million)

Player B: 87-76 3.81 ERA average innings pitched 137 IP (over last 10 seasons) 175 IP in 7 "healthy" seasons 2:1 K/BB ratio (makes 16.5 mil a year)

Who would you rather have?
    Hold on buddy.

Daisuke doesn't make 9.5 million when you include his 51.1 million dollar posting fee.

He's making 6 years, 103.1 million.

That's 17.1 per.

Question: What had Daisuke done to justify that contract? Pitched a WBC and in what was essentially high-A Ball?

Burnett for the record: 18-10, 221 IP, 231 K, 1.3 WHIP.

That justifies that to me...

Oh, and another for the record: Burnett has a career ERA of 3.81 and has an average of 200 K per 162 G.

So: Tell me how, when he has numbers better than Daisuke did last year in many categories, and yet he makes less money, and has MORE experience, his contract is worse than Daisuke's?

Now that's a close argument...try comparing that to Chan Ho or to Kevin Brown or to Darren Dreifort, and you have NO argument.

No WAY is this a Top 5 worst contract of all-time. If he repeats those numbers for the next four years and the Yankees win 4 WS, then hot damn, looks like a ****ing good deal to me.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am glad to go out and say Burnett's contract is bad. It's too damn long and expensive. Dontrelle Willis, Carlos Silva and Vincent Padilla's are bad too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12