Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The best defensive OF in the majors is...

MLB ERA
    Andruw is only 27? Jesus. It seems like he's been around forever, but yeah. For my money, he's the best defensive CF in the majors (and minors, for that matter). I also have to give big ups to Langerhans, he is very under-rated.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    That's why I said "if" he were playing.

Age is a factor.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Not in this argument. We are talking about the better arm not who would you take if you had to pick a CFer. Jones is 28 by the way and only has 87 assists as a CFer. Edmonds only has 94. These are very misleading though so I don't pay them much attention. Like Fushercat said, Manny has the most Assists this year.

Yeah, that's why I didn't put a HUGE emphasis on stats. Just posted them up there.

But Andruw is the best defensive CFer in baseball, not taking anything away from Edmonds, who is not far behind,

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Again I was talking about best arm not best CFer. As far as best CFer, too tough to say.

Manny is infinitely better than Womack. Yes, infinitely. As in if you clones a million Womacks and placed them in a cilo, they'd still miss more flyballs then a single Manny.

Just because Manny has gotten more oppurtunities doesn't mean Ichiro is better. Duh. Manny's team is better than Ichiro or Womack's anyway.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Womack's?

Outside of LF, Yanks>c0x

AA ERA
    For my money, Torii Hunter is the best defensive outfielder in the majors. Just ask the Twins pitchers especially Brad Radke. Eddie Guardado, and Kyle Lohse. I can cite so many great things that he did in the OF with his great catches like three years ago when he made that great catch against the A's at the Dome to end the game or that great catch where he robs Rodriguez off a grand slam in the ALDS that could have tied the ballgame or when he made a diving catch. There is a reason why he is a fixture on webgems for Baseball Tonight almost every night.

Torii also has a good putout rate where he gets runners out.

Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    Womack's?

Outside of LF, Yanks>c0x
    Outsite of CF, outside of catcher, outside of designated hitter, outside of second base, outside of record, outside of runs scored or allowed (as of today). Yeah.

Technically, it is his team. He is a New York Yankee, therefore, the Yankees are his team.

Matsui>Damon
    Sheffield>Nixon
    A-Rod>>>>Mueller
    Jeter>Nom...err...Renteria
    Cano>KHorn
    Posada[push]Varitek
    RJ>DLed Schill
    Pavano>Boomer
    Wang>Arroyo
    Flash>>Embree
    Rivera>>>Foulke.

Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    Matsui>Damon
    Sheffield>Nixon
    A-Rod>>>>Mueller
    Jeter>Nom...err...Renteria
    Cano>KHorn
    Posada[push]Varitek
    RJ>DLed Schill
    Pavano>Boomer
    Wang>Arroyo
    Flash>>Embree
    Rivera>>>Foulke.
    Although you cannot judge a team that way since baseball is a team game (much less so then other sports, but there is still an element). However, there are things wrong with your comparison

There is no way in hell, this year, Tek is a push with Posada. Tek has been far superior to Posada this year. Pavano and Wells have essentially the same ERA.

Wang's had eight starts in his first go-around. You can't judge a player on eight starts.

Hahaha at comparing your set-up man to Alan Embree. How about comparing him to the Sox set-up man, Mike Timlin. Mike Timlin has a 1.36 ERA. Gordon's is almost twice that.

As I said, you can't use comparisons like that to debate which is the better team since, unlike in math, sometimes a team does not equal the sum of its parts. I know that sounds joek-esque, but it's true. Individual comparisons can be used as a base, but not as the whole thing.

Now, ignoring half the possible comparisons was a sly move by you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Although you cannot judge a team that way since baseball is a team game (much less so then other sports, but there is still an element). However, there are things wrong with your comparison

There is no way in hell, this year, Tek is a push with Posada. Tek has been far superior to Posada this year. Pavano and Wells have essentially the same ERA.

Wang's had eight starts in his first go-around. You can't judge a player on eight starts.

Hahaha at comparing your set-up man to Alan Embree. How about comparing him to the Sox set-up man, Mike Timlin. Mike Timlin has a 1.36 ERA. Gordon's is almost twice that.

As I said, you can't use comparisons like that to debate which is the better team since, unlike in math, sometimes a team does not equal the sum of its parts. I know that sounds joek-esque, but it's true. Individual comparisons can be used as a base, but not as the whole thing.

Now, ignoring half the possible comparisons was a sly move by you.

Unless you're terminally stupid (and it is possible, you are a s0x fan after all), you'd realize that I gave the 1B, LF and 2 SPs to the s0x.

Wang? You're hating on Wang? 4-2, 3.97. Arroyo? 5-3, 4.26. Advantage-Wang.

OK, I'll give you Timlin, but I'd like to point out that 1/2 of ALL the runs Gordon gave up all season were in one outing, where Torre left him in to eat some innings.

This year:

Posada: .292, 9 HRs, 35 RBI.

Tek: .320, 11 HR, 27 RBI.

Tek has a better avg and more HRs, but Posada has more RBI, which is what matters in a game, isn't it.

BA-OBP-SLG-OPS

Posada: 292-372-464-836
    Varitek: 320-388-552-939

Clear Advantage: Varitek

I said that you can't compare the first eight starts of a player's career to a pitcher who has been in the AL for over a year and the NL prior to that. Most pitchers, if MLB ready, are always better in their first go-around since the hitters haven't seen them. It's just logical.

There's really no reason to give 1B to the Sox, Tino's been better than Millar. Of course, I guess you meant DH or moved Ortiz to first.

Holy shit, how did I miss the Damon/Matsui thing. Damon is beating Matsui, I don't know how you can say Hideki is better this year.

I guess I can let the numbers talk then:

Matsui: .287, 7 HR, 51 RBI.

Damon: .336, 2 HR, 38 RBI.

More RBI for Matsui, but Damon is a leadoff man and he gets on-base. OK, I guess I'll call it a push. Still, Yanks>s0x

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast