Thread: The Veteran's HOFer

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

MLB The Veteran's HOFer

Former second baseman Joe Gordon has been elected to the Hall of Fame by the Veterans Committee.

The late Gordon was a nine-time All-Star with the New York Yankees and Cleveland Indians. He played on five World Series championship teams and retired in 1950.

Gordon was the only person elected Monday on a ballot of players who began their careers before 1943.

Ron Santo, Gil Hodges and Joe Torre fell well short of the 75 percent needed for election to Cooperstown.
    Congrats to the Gordon family

If Pete Rose can't be voted in because of things that happened after he stopped playing, then Ron Santo should be voted in for things he has done after baseball. Santo was a damn good ballplayer and after baseball has been a great spokesman for the game. He has been calling Cubs games for 19 seasons now and isn't stopping anytime soon. Its a shame he didn;t get in but maybe next year.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: The Veteran's HOFer

They rejected Gil Hodges and Ron Santo for some guy who played for a bunch of Yankee World Series teams. Did they put Joek on the Veterans Committee?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Disaster
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

The Veterans Committee is a joke.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Really? Have I ever even heard of this guy?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Prolly not.

Joe Gordon Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com

I'm sure he was a good guy, good teammate, etc. and a solid player but statistically, that's what.. Tino Martinez with a few steals? I understand they have different criteria to vote in others, but that the **** is stopping Santo here? Did he shoot JFK?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Joe Gordon was a "gamer" back when the game was really tough. He played for the Yankees and Indians and made WS appearances for both. He was the MVP of the league for the Yankees when everyone was in the military.
    Ron Santo was robbed again. He has given everything he has to baseball and will continue doing so. I only hope he lives long enough to be enshrined. Diabetes has taken much of his energy and his legs, but he doesn't make any excuses. He still does his job as well as anyone else in the world could do it, as he always has.
    Shorty, if you have any questions about any players, Baseball-Reference.com - Major League Baseball Statistics and History is a good place to find out who they were or are.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I have no problem with Gordon getting in. He retired having the most HRs of any second baseman and had good stats.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I have no problem with Gordon getting in. He retired having the most HRs of any second baseman and had good stats.
    i dont have a problem with him getting in either. It just sucks that the HOF players are being elitists here. He has a legitimate claim to being in the top 6 3rd basemen of all time.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1