Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And Your 2008 ROY's Are.........

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

MLB And Your 2008 ROY's Are.........

Geovany Soto claimed 31 of the 32 first-place votes to win National League Rookie of the Year honors on Monday.
    Joey Votto had a fine season and was clearly the NL's No. 2 rookie, but the writer that voted him first over Soto just isn't taking his privilege seriously. Votto was second on 21 of the other ballots and finished with 76 points to Soto's 158. Jair Jurrjens was third with 34 points. Edinson Volquez, who wasn't a rookie after throwing 70 innings for the Rangers from 2005-07, was given three second-place votes. For some reason, those have been allowed to stand and he finished in fourth place with nine points. Apparently, no one in the BBWAA cares to make sure its writers turn in legal ballots.

Evan Longoria received all 28 first-place votes and was named AL Rookie of the Year on Monday.
    There was no drama when it came to the Rookie of the Year selections, unless one cared about who finished in second place. Alexei Ramirez did easily in the AL, receiving 18 second-place votes and 59 points. Jacoby Ellsbury was third with 26 points, and Mike Aviles and Armando Galarraga tied for fourth with just nine points apiece. We're surprised and disappointed about just how little love there was for Aviles considering that he hit .325/.354/.480 in 419 at-bats. Ramirez finished at .290/.317/.475 in 481 at-bats. Ellsbury, who hit .280/.336/.394, had no business ranking any higher than fifth here.
    Writers got it right with these choices. Longoria was a beast in 122 games offensively and definitely defensively. Ramirez had a great year too helping his team reach the playoffs just like Longoria. I have no problem with a writer giving Votto a first place vote over Soto. Soto slowed down in the second half and Votto did surpass Soto in some offensive categories. But Soto's value to the NL best Cubs was too much for Votto to overcome. Congrats to both as i see them being stars in the league for years to come. No Pat Listach's or Bob Hamelin's here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: And Your 2008 ROY's Are.........

Wow, change in who the voters are maybe?

Edinson Volquez, who wasn't a rookie after throwing 70 innings for the Rangers from 2005-07, was given three second-place votes. For some reason, those have been allowed to stand and he finished in fourth place with nine points. Apparently, no one in the BBWAA cares to make sure its writers turn in legal ballots.

Sheesh
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

That is very pathetic!! Selig needs to look into this.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Non biased voters, albeit probably rare to find, would help. Seriously, who the hell votes for Ellsbury? Was he even a true rookie? It's being picky since Longoria and Soto were the winners, but these things are embarrassing and hard to take at all serious.
    Ted

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ellsbury was at least eligible for the award! Its obvious some are not doing their homework if they are voting for ineligible players. I weep for baseball media and Selig needs to do something about this. Can't wait to see Lincecum get ****ed over because of writers voting for Maddux or Smoltz or some outrageous shit.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

In that case, I'm totally voting for Wandy Rodriguez.
    Ted

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

And Max Scherzer wins in a landslide. Wandy gets 2nd.

MLB ERA

If Lincecum gets screwed over it'll be by Brandon Webb or CC Sabathia and his limited NL stint.

To be clear, I think Lincecum should win it unanimously, just going off the premise of who I think they might pick should they be dumbasses and pick someone else.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

What are the elligibality to be considered for ROY honors for an offensive player? I know for a pitcher its an X amount of inning I believe, didn't know about offensive player requirements.

MLB ERA

A rookie is formally defined as a player with less than 130 at-bats, a pitcher with less than 50 innings pitched, or anyone with less than 45 days on any Major League roster.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Oh ok, I was trying to see if Quentin qualified, which he doesn't.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

What would have happened if Volquez would have won the balloting? Would they still give him the award?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    If Lincecum gets screwed over it'll be by Brandon Webb or CC Sabathia and his limited NL stint.

To be clear, I think Lincecum should win it unanimously, just going off the premise of who I think they might pick should they be dumbasses and pick someone else.

I dunno if I'd give it to him unanimously, but I do agree Lincecum should probably be the winner. If he gets screwed over, I think the most likely option would be Johan Santana. He had the best ERA, the most innings pitched, and was top 5 in K's, and managed 16 wins despite the bullpen blowing 7 of his starts. Plus, he has the NY Media thing behind him. I could see him winning, and it wouldn't be undeserved....I just think Lincecum has a slight edge.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Mets bullpen blew the same amount of games for Santana as the Giants did Lincecum. Lincecum had the best winning percentage, most strikeouts (unless you read Dayne Perry) and third in IP. Plus he had a terrible defense behind him. Its astonishing he won 18 games and he had the best overall season.

What would have happened if Volquez would have won the balloting? Would they still give him the award?
    No, he wouldn't get the award and it would be the end of baseball writer's being responsible the voting.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    No, he would get the award and it would be the end of baseball writer's being responsible the voting.
    ...but he still gets the award. Nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast