Thread: Skip Caray Dead at 68

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

News Skip Caray Dead at 68

Broadcaster Skip Caray, who was in his 33rd season of calling Atlanta Braves games, died in his sleep Sunday at his Atlanta home.

Caray, the son of former Hall of Fame play-by-play announcer Harry Caray, had several ailments in the last year but had recovered enough to continue calling Braves home games at Turner Field. He would have been 69 on Aug. 12.

"Our baseball community has lost a legend today," Braves president John Schuerholz said. "The Braves family and Braves fans everywhere will sadly miss him. Our thoughts are with his wife Paula and his children."

Caray had done a majority of his work for TBS, which gave him a national audience and large fan base.

Caray began his broadcasting career at KMOX-Radio in St. Louis as host of a 15-minute high school sports show and as a sportscaster for high school basketball games. He later joined his father as a color commentator for University of Missouri football.

He began broadcasting baseball for the Tulsa Oilers of the Southern League in 1963. Caray was inducted into the Braves Hall of Fame in 2005 with longtime broadcast partner Pete Van Wieren.

Born in St. Louis, Caray was a graduate of the University of Missouri, with honors in journalism. He is survived by his wife, Paula, and four children; Chip, Cindy, Shayelyn, and Josh and seven grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements have not been announced.
    Sad day for baseball fans everywhere as Skip was heard by everyone who has ever enjoyed the game. I have probably seen hundreds of Braves games Skip has called and can still hear him saying "Chipper Jones" in my head. Hope he gets a well deserved celebration of life from baseball and his family.

MLB ERA

Re: Skip Caray Dead at 68

Very sad to see him go. R.I.P. my prayers go out to his family and friends.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA

He was a very good voice for baseball games. Very knowlegable and easy to listen to. He will be missed by all fans.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

He was the reason I became a knowledgeable baseball fan, was listening to his broadcasts on TBS before NESN was a part of basic... i'm really sad to seem go
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Sad day for baseball, even though I'm not a fan of the team he represented, he was a smart, eloquent, and verbose man. Sad to see him go.

MLB ERA

I just found out just now. I can't believe it. I always love hearing the games when he is in the booth.

If it wasnt too late I would call my parents. My family is from GA. My dad grew up watching the Braves when they moved to Atlanta. Just can't believe it.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He once equated the Braves beating the Montreal Expos to good triumphing over evil. He was a huge homer, but I'll give him credit for his popularity with baseball fans.