Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baseball Tonight's Top Players from each Franchise

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Baseball Tonight's Top Players from each Franchise

matt bush
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    The top 2 Mets are easy, George Thomas Seaver, and Michael Joseph Piazza. Unfortunately, beyond that, the choice is tough. Alfonzo wasn't a big enough guy to be a franchise player, Doc wasn't the face of the team for a long enough time. Mookie was never an outstanding guy, but he was a fan favorite. Koosman was great and underrated, but was never the franchise guy, he was hidden behind Seaver. HoJo wasn't really that guy. So, the third spot comes down the Keith and his 'stache, Darryl, and John Franco. As much as I loved Johnny Franco, the homegrown Staten Island boy, I can't really pick him, because he was a big emotional leader, but had many of his best years in Cincy. Leaving me with Keith and Darryl, I'm torn. Darryl was great, and would have been among the best ever if he hadn't fallen into the stuff he did. I'm gonna have to choose Keith for the third spot, because the team improved from the moment he got here, he was the emotional leader of the team, and he was actually a very good media presence. He got over his alcohol and cocaine abuse, and is a much smarter man that he sound, and much smarter than people realize. He was the face of the 1986 team...
    No Doc Gooden or David Cone?

MLB ERA

Again, I was going based on ESPN's nominees. Cony wasn't on there. Gooden was tempting, but was never really the "franchise player". He was very good for his first 6 or 7 years, but during that time the team leaders were Keith and Straw....then, once those guys left, Gooden fell apart. So, as good as he was for a while, he was never THE guy. Although, like I said, I was tempted to choose him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I disagree 100% about Gooden. Doc was one of the best pitchers in the 80's and was more of a box office draw than Keith Hernandez. Doc and Daryl were the face of the Mets even if Keith was in fact the team leader. A ROY and a Cy Young winner is pretty impressive. But you have your opinion and I have mine

MLB ERA

You have a great argument there. The thing is that this is not about the best player. And even so, Doc had a couple AMAZING years from 1984 to 1989. From 1990 to 1993, He was still a good pitcher. In 1994 he was terrible. Gooden was a very good player, but when fans think about the 1986 team, the 2 difference makers were Keith Hernandez and Gary Carter. People love Mookie, but those two were the leaders who came in and epitomized the rough and tough play of the team(along with Dykstra and Backman). I don't doubt that Gooden would be right up there, because as I said, the 3rd guy for the Mets was a tough choice for me.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Its just when I think of the best pitchers of the 80's, Gooden's name is definitely in my top three. He was just lights out and dominant.

MLB ERA

He was for a couple years. Now, its difficult for me, being 19, being born after the Mex's, and he Doc's finished playing for the Mets, or at least finished their better years. So, I'm going off what I know from my grandfather, who taught me most of what I know about baseball history before he passed. Keith was always (from what I heard and saw) the leader when it came to the media, the fans, and the mental aspect). Doc was a great pitcher, but it's tough for a starter who goes once every 5 days to be a "team leader"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It was every four days back then and no one ever called him a tream leader but was the face of the franchise. And he had more than just a couple of good years.

MLB ERA

Dwight still only started 33 games a year, so that would come down to once every 5 games.

I don't think he really was the face of the franchise. They didn't let him deal with the media very often. He wasn't one of the group of players who took public transportation to the games. He wasn't really as much a face as a dominant player.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Tino Martinez, Shane Spencer, Graemme Lloyd
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Cards were Stan the Man, Bob Gibson and Lou Brock. I think Ozzie Smith should be in there over Lou Brock. Ozzie is the best and most exciting SS to ever grace the position. His defense was uncanny.

MLB ERA

Shit, LTR, no argument is even necessary. How could I forget the obvious 3rd choice for the Mets.....

I'll give you all a hint: He was "super"

Yup, you guessed it, Joe McEwing gets my vote.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123