View Poll Results: Will the Red Sox make the playoffs now that Manny is gone?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Bay is also good

7 36.84%
  • No, Manny was the key to their success

12 63.16%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do The Red Sox Make The Playoffs?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Do The Red Sox Make The Playoffs?

An insult? Are you kidding me, lance is a Red Sox fan who isn't unbelievably biased and actually has a clue what he's talking about.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

If the playoffs started today, we are in them. Our bullpen pitched 5.1 innings of 1 run relief, now that the Manny stress is gone we'll be back to our ways. Do we have less power? Yes... are we a better TEAM? Yes...

Lets give these guys a week or 2 before throwing them under the bus

Lance, I didn't mean to insult you... let me apologize, but I don't like people throwing a team under the bus without seeing them in action... if u think they suck in a week...feel free to write it, but lets let them perform on the field then make a judgement
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    If the playoffs started today, we are in them.
    Uhh..yeah, but they don't start today.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Cjkalt,
    Where did I state they suck? All I stated is that I don't think they will make the playoffs, and I still don't. I also stated I backed the Ramirez trade. The playoffs don't start today, and that shaky bullpen has to make it through 2 more months. I hope they do make the playoffs, hell I want them to win it all every year. I'm not unrealistic however, and look at the whole picture, and their bullpen is still a weakness. There has been a lot of underachieving in that bullpen though and I do think they have the potential to do a lot better the second half, but like it or not the team that improved themselves the most in this trade deadline was the Yankees. And if you think the Rays are gonna just go away, you are wrong. Oh yeah, and we haven't even started talking about the black hole of outs in the bottom of the order... Varitek, Crisp and Lugo. Let's not go there though. Get a grip and start looking at things realistically, instead of thinking that a player is automatically the "best" just cause he calls Fenway home.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Lance324 View Post
    Cjkalt,
    Where did I state they suck? All I stated is that I don't think they will make the playoffs, and I still don't. I also stated I backed the Ramirez trade. The playoffs don't start today, and that shaky bullpen has to make it through 2 more months. I hope they do make the playoffs, hell I want them to win it all every year. I'm not unrealistic however, and look at the whole picture, and their bullpen is still a weakness. There has been a lot of underachieving in that bullpen though and I do think they have the potential to do a lot better the second half, but like it or not the team that improved themselves the most in this trade deadline was the Yankees. And if you think the Rays are gonna just go away, you are wrong. Oh yeah, and we haven't even started talking about the black hole of outs in the bottom of the order... Varitek, Crisp and Lugo. Let's not go there though. Get a grip and start looking at things realistically, instead of thinking that a player is automatically the "best" just cause he calls Fenway home.
    I think you are just assuming the Yankees will make the playoffs, their starting rotation is as weak as ever and they traded one of their elite setup guys. Yes Ramirez has stepped it up so far, but their arms have never had this much work under this amount of pressure. Their is no doubting their lineup but nady has never been in a race before so we'll see how they handle the pressure. I do say they will be in the Wild Card hunt with the Rays, i think the yanks get it because...

This is the Rays Remaining schedule:

Home:
    3 vs CLE
    1 vs Detroit-W
    3 vs LAA-W
    3 vs TOR
    3 vs BAL
    3 vs BOS-W
    3 vs NYY-W
    4 vs MIN-W

Away:
    4 vs Seattle
    3 vs Texas-W
    3 vs Oakland
    3 vs CHW-W
    3 vs Toronto
    3 vs Boston-W
    3 vs NYY-W
    4 vs Detroit-W
    3 vs Baltimore

Thats 30 games vs teams with winning records and 29 more road games for a team with a record of 23-28 on the road.

Also after the all-star break the Rays as a team are batting .238, showing that the young guys are hitting the wall. To make the playoffs, they are going to have to hit better, and handle the pressure of playing great clubs on the road. Is this impossible no, but with the Yankees and Red Sox in the division it seems unlikely.
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hey, fans for the same team can still have different opinions of their team. Trust me, me and my boy Bear bump heads all the time but it doesn't mean we are somehow less intelligent about our team. We just have different views. I live in KY and a Giants fan. It doesn't mean I am somehow less knowledgeable about the Giants because I don't live in SF. Red Sox nation unite and be happy

AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Hey, fans for the same team can still have different opinions of their team. Trust me, me and my boy Bear bump heads all the time but it doesn't mean we are somehow less intelligent about our team. We just have different views. I live in KY and a Giants fan. It doesn't mean I am somehow less knowledgeable about the Giants because I don't live in SF. Red Sox nation unite and be happy
    Awesome, another fellow KY boy. Hopefully your as big a fan of the KY Wildcats as you are of the Giants
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Lance324 View Post
    NyJunc,
    The problem is we were no longer getting results look at the last 2 weeks. We'll manage without him, and if the Sox don't make the playoffs I certainly am not going to say at the end of the year... "I think they would have made it if they had Manny", because I don't think they would have made it with him.
    But that has happened before. You guys have been through rough patches w/ him going crazy and you recovered just like you would have this year. I'm just glad he's gone, you guys will still be good but you lost alot of fear from opposing pitchers which helped your average hitters become good hitters.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    Lance, do me a favor and take that redsox picture off your profile because you are anything but a true Red Sox fan and insult all true Red Sox fans, I truly doubt your from the area, and if you are your doing an injustice to us, because we will make the playoffs and we will make a deep run.
    I hope this is a joke?

MLB ERA

the deep run part? No... the rest of it was frusteration because look at last night... we aren't going anywhere... we will be in this til the end
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

This has never happened before with Manny and I am sick and tired of people saying it has. When in the past did Theo have a meeting with the veterans and them tell him they could no longer trust Manny? Please, someone tell when this happened? It has never happened before making this 100% different. It was the final year of his contract and he quit on his team making a different scenario.

Bosox34- I hate the UK Wildcats with every bone in my body. I'm a Louisville fan!!

MLB ERA

This whole thing was orchestrated by Boras...

Boston Red Sox - Ramírez lobbied to stay - The Boston Globe
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

People give Boras way too much credit. Boras was not out their not giving any effort or even stepping on the field. Ramirez knew what he was doing and did not need Boras' influence to do it. If Manny did say what he said about coming back and playing his best if they dropped his options year, it was already too late since he lost of respect and reliability inside the clubhouse. Plus I doubt Manny said that since there was no chance of the Sox picking up his options in the first place. This is all Manny's fault.

MLB ERA

Reefer, before the whole outburst there was talk in boston that the sox might pick up the 1st option year...almost at the same time is when this occured. And it also wasn't by accident that this all started after the Sox were in LA... home of Scott Boras.
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

"Amid the inevitable he-said, she-said that results during the breakup between the Red Sox and a star player, agent Scott Boras denied a published report early yesterday that Manny Ramirez lobbied to return to the club up to an hour after Thursday’s trading deadline. According to a published report, Boras called Red Sox officials about an hour after the 4 p.m. deadline and said Ramirez was having second thoughts about being traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers. The story suggested Ramirez promised to give the team an honest effort over the final two months of the season if the Sox backed out of the trade. “Completely inaccurate,” Boras said by phone from his home on the West Coast yesterday. ..."
    I knew the call wasn't real because it made no sense. Cjkalt, according to everyone I have seen on TV, there was no chance of the Sox picking up Mann'y option even before Manny quit trying. It all started when Manny pushed down a traveling secretary and fought Youkilis. $20 million for Manny was not an option for the Sox as they were already tired of Manny's act. Boras doesn't have that much control.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234