Thread: Olympic team announced

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Roster Olympic team announced

So, one of the more notable names is Matt LaPorta, who of course you know was recently apart of the brewers package sent to Cleveland for C.C. or "CC" Sabathia. Well, another notable name is Mike Koplove, who only recently retired in S3SL (at least it feels like it). Are you encouraged that a journeyman reliever gets to pitch to some foreign powerhouses?

Another one I found interesting, and they noted it in the article, is a class A ball pitcher, is pitcher Jake Arrieta. He apparently impressed Davey Johnson a great deal and I'm kinda intrigued, of all players to invite, they go that low. He's in the orioles farm system.

The full U.S. Olympic delegation of athletes headed for China in three weeks is now up to 580 of 590 spots to be filled, thanks to the announcement Wednesday of the baseball team that will try to win gold in the Summer Games.
    Many of the names on the USA roster will be recognizable to baseball fans -- some of them currently on Major League clubs' 40-man rosters and some with past MLB service. Most of them will become even more recognizable after the team opens against Korea on Aug. 13 at Wukesong Baseball Stadium in Beijing.

USA Baseball revealed 23 of the 24 members on a team that will be led by Davey Johnson, who won World Series championships as a player (Orioles) and manager (Mets). His team features 12 pitchers and 11 position players, and the final roster spot will be filled in the coming days -- ahead of Beijing Organizing Committee for the Games of the XXIX Olympiad's cut-off date next Tuesday.

"We are proud of the ballclub we have assembled," USA Baseball executive director/CEO Paul Seiler said. "The team is strong from top to bottom, and we are confident it will succeed in Beijing. We applaud our coaching staff and selection committee for their tireless work in putting together an excellent team."

Team USA will be together on the field for the first time with four exhibition games against Canada in North Carolina from Aug. 1-4. Johnson said he will have a better idea of his lineup and five-man rotation at that point. Then the team will depart for Beijing, where Opening Ceremonies are scheduled for Aug. 8 -- portending good fortune, according to Chinese proverb. The Olympic Medal Round will be on Aug. 23, a day before the Closing Ceremonies, and only then will anyone know just how powerful this team is on a global stage where so many nations seem to be getting better and better at baseball.

The U.S. Olympic Baseball Team's roster is stockpiled with bright prospects, including 14 players currently at the Triple-A level and multiple players who are on Major League 40-man rosters. Any athlete not on a 25-man roster at the time of selection is eligible to compete.
    USA Baseball names Olympic team | MLB.com: News

Well, they topped Arrieta, cause they have a player currently still in college on the team, Stephen Strasburg of San Diego State.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Olympic team announced

Dexter Fowler and Casey Weathers on the team.. ....ah, feels like an OOTP team.
    <_<
    >_>
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.