Thread: The Rating Game

MLB ERA

The Rating Game

FIVE BEST ALL-AROUND PLAYER

1. Miguel Tejada, Orioles

The new Iron Man also plays shortstop for Baltimore (hasn't missed a game in four years, has played most in MLB over the last six). Oh yeah, he also had 150 RBIs last year, second-most ever in a season by a shortstop.

2. Alex Rodriguez, Yankees

Had an off year in a new town and new position, but still combines more skills than any player (except for good PR).

3. Vladimir Guerrero, Angels

Proved last year he is a great player who can carry a team to the playoffs.

4. Albert Pujols, Cardinals

One-dimensional , but building a case as one of the great righty hitters ever at age 24.

5. Carlos Beltran, Mets

Normally Barry Bonds makes this list, but his clouded future removes him as the five-tool Beltran gets the nod over Bobby Abreu, Adrian Beltre, Jim Edmonds, Todd Helton, Scott Rolen and Ichiro Suzuki.

FIVE BEST MANAGERS

1. Bobby Cox, Braves

Defines roles expertly, supports his players staunchly and understands how to manage the long season adroitly.

2. Mike Scioscia, Angels

Can play speed or power, and works a bullpen superbly.

3. Joe Torre, Yankees

Beat up some for October strategy, but his job is bringing calm to the Yankee storm, and he is superb at that.

4. Buck Showalter, Rangers

Has many detractors, but even they would agree he is thorough and hard working and has a honed baseball IQ.

5. Tony LaRussa, Cardinals

Much like Showalter, a love-him-or-hate-him guy who wins enough to edge out Ron Gardenhire and Lou Piniella. Keep an eye on Cleveland's Eric Wedge ("a disciplinarian who knows how to communicate," an NL scout says).

FIVE WORST MANAGERS

1. Bob Melvin, Diamondbacks

Seemed overmatched in Seattle, yet instantly got a second chance. "I guess they didn't see any Mariner games," an advance scout said of Arizona.

2. Ozzie Guillen, White Sox

Flighty, mouthy and espouses a go-go style that is more 1959 than 2005.

3. Lee Mazzilli, Orioles

On the brink of being canned last year. The Torre magic did not rub off.

4. Charlie Manuel, Phillies

His players will like the calm transition from the irrational Larry Bowa, but he did not project leadership when in Cleveland.

5. Alan Trammell, Tigers

A nice guy who, scouts say, is too often overmatched. Keep an eye on the Cubs' Dusty Baker, who is on the hot seat because his strategy and skin have both been thin in Chicago.

FIVE BEST TEAMS

1. Red Sox

Last won consecutive titles in 1915-16. What Curse?

2. Yankees

For $200 million, they have little depth, so they become susceptible with injuries.

3. Braves

Tim Hudson and John Smoltz give them a 1-2 that - if healthy - makes them formidable in October, as well.

4. Angels

Do their rotation have enough to win it all?

5. Twins

The left side of their infield is troublesome, but they have enough pitching to outpoll the Marlins, Phillies, Cardinals and Cubs.

FIVE WORST TEAMS

1. Rockies

Todd Helton and pray for rain.

2. Royals

Aside from Zach Greinke, even their youngsters are more Grade-B hopefuls.

3. Pirates

Oliver Perez and Jason Bay are promising, but this has been a clueless organization for a long time.

4. Devil Rays

Too many games vs. Red Sox and Yankees for so much inexperienced pitching.

5. Brewers

At least it is not the Selig family's fault any more.

FIVE BEST STARTING PITCHERS

1. Johan Santana, Twins

A left-handed, prime-aged Pedro Martinez.

2. Curt Schilling, Red Sox

Easy to dislike, especially if you have to hit off him. How much will his ankle surgery mar his season?

3. Randy Johnson, Yankees

Let's see how he handles changing leagues and magnitude of coverage.

4. Jason Schmidt, Giants

The only question with him is health.

5. Tim Hudson, Braves

Through his age-28 season, Hudson has a .702 winning percentage - only Whitey Ford had better (.734). Also getting strong consideration: Pedro Martinez and Ben Sheets.

FIVE BEST CLOSERS

1 Mariano Rivera, Yankees

Faltered last October, but had one of his best seasons. Needs to be used less during the year. What is up with that elbow?

2 Brad Lidge, Astros

An October revelation. His 157 strikeouts would have led the Mets.

3. Eric Gagne, Dodgers

Last three years: 145 hits, 247 innings.

4. Keith Foulke, Red Sox

Proven in October now.

5. Joe Nathan, Twins

Filthy stuff.

FIVE MOST OVERRATED

1. Eric Milton, Reds

Only three times had a pitcher ever allowed as many homers (43) with as high an ERA (4.75) as he had last year, yet he got a three-year contract.

2. Russ Ortiz, Diamondbacks

ERA and HRs allowed have increased three straight years, yet received a four-year contract.

3. Cristian Guzman, Nationals

Sixth-worst OBP among active players (.303), yet received a four-year contract.

4. David Eckstein, Cardinals

Had the AL's worst OPS - 22 points worse than Guzman - yet received a three-year contract.

5. Danny Graves, Reds

A creation of the save rule. He actually allowed four more homers (12) than Tim Hudson last year.

FIVE MOST UNDERRATED

1. Bobby Abreu, Phillies

Aside from members of the Bonds family, no other player in MLB history has more straight 20 homer-20 steal seasons than the six Abreu is working with right now.

2. Scot Shields, Angels

Anaheim's swingman has the majors' fourth-best ERA (2.91) behind Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez and Johan Santana (minimum 300 IP) over the last three years.

3. Melvin Mora, Orioles

Also made a transition to third base last year, and had a better BA, OBP and SLG than A-Rod.

4. Jake Peavy, Padres

You knew he led the NL in ERA last year by more than a quarter of a run over Randy Johnson, right?

5. Carlos Lee, Brewers

Has hit at least 24 homers in each of the last five seasons. http://www.nypost.com/sports/43772.htm

MLB ERA
    I don't know about some of his predictions but I thought most of them matched up with mine but I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFoston
    2. Ozzie Guillen, White Sox

Flighty, mouthy and espouses a go-go style that is more 1959 than 2005.

3. Lee Mazzilli, Orioles

On the brink of being canned last year. The Torre magic did not rub off.

4. Charlie Manuel, Phillies

His players will like the calm transition from the irrational Larry Bowa, but he did not project leadership when in Cleveland.

5. Alan Trammell, Tigers

A nice guy who, scouts say, is too often overmatched. Keep an eye on the Cubs' Dusty Baker, who is on the hot seat because his strategy and skin have both been thin in Chicago.
    Have to disagree on all these. Guillen and Mazzilli are very good managers. Guillen is impressive. Mazzilli really never had a great team to work with. Manuel just to Philadelphia, give him a chance. Trammell is a good manager, but does make mistakes. I don't think he's that bad of a manager.

I'll take Vlad and/or Pujols over Tejada and A-rod.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AA ERA
    BuckFoston: Are you serious about Guillen? I thought he was outmanaged by Gardenhire whenever the Twins played the White Sox last year. The team quit in the final two months of the year. There were many times last where I thought he was way over his head. His whining about Gardenhire and Showalter last year was not only pathetic, but sad. He had no clue with the pitchers and he alienated Carlos Lee and Maggilio Ordonez, two of the White Sox run producers. Oh and I thought Ozzie looked like a complete hypocrite when he ripped Magglio Ordonez for whining about his contract and ripping the White Sox on his way out considering he did the exact same thing as a player.

BTW, Joel Sherman is dead on with this list. I can't disagree with everything. He is probably the best baseball writer of all the NY papers. I like the fact he does his homework on every team which is something most writers here don't do. Sherman and Bill Madden are my favorite writers in the NY papers.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    guillen is seriously a bad manager.

Rookie ERA

1. Scott Rolen
    2. Alex Rodriguez
    3. Miguel Tejada
    4. Vladimir Guerrero
    5. Albert Pujols

FIVE BEST TEAMS

1. Yankees
    2. Cardinals
    3. Red Sox
    4. Marlins
    5. Angels

FIVE WORST TEAMS

1. Royals
    2. Rockies
    3. Diamond Backs
    4. Devil Rays
    5. Pirates

1. Johan Santana
    2. Randy Johnson
    3. Ben Sheets
    4. Jason Schmidt
    5. Curt Schilling

Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    BuckFoston: Are you serious about Guillen? I thought he was outmanaged by Gardenhire whenever the Twins played the White Sox last year. The team quit in the final two months of the year. There were many times last where I thought he was way over his head. His whining about Gardenhire and Showalter last year was not only pathetic, but sad. He had no clue with the pitchers and he alienated Carlos Lee and Maggilio Ordonez, two of the White Sox run producers. Oh and I thought Ozzie looked like a complete hypocrite when he ripped Magglio Ordonez for whining about his contract and ripping the White Sox on his way out considering he did the exact same thing as a player.

BTW, Joel Sherman is dead on with this list. I can't disagree with everything. He is probably the best baseball writer of all the NY papers. I like the fact he does his homework on every team which is something most writers here don't do. Sherman and Bill Madden are my favorite writers in the NY papers.
    Think you meant to say GoYankees.

Maybe I haven't seen all of the White Sox games, but I've seen documentaries and interviews on/with Guillen, and he seems like he's made the White Sox better. I don't call myself this baseball guru, but it's my opinion that he is a great manager. Maybe I'm wrong, but my opinions are just what they are opinions.

Scott Rolen number 1? Cardinals better than the sux? I am not sure about those two.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    You guys will get a kick out of mine. But I am serious

1. Vladimir Guerrero
    2. Alex Rodriguez
    3. Ichiro Suzuki
    4. Scott Rolen
    5. Jim Edmonds

FIVE BEST TEAMS

1. Yankees
    2. Red Sox
    3. Cardinals
    4. Marlins
    5. Cubs

FIVE WORST TEAMS

1. Royals
    2. Diamond Backs
    3. Rockies
    4. Blue Jays
    5. Pirates

1. Johan Santana
    2. Curt Schilling
    3. Mark Prior
    4. Andy Pettitte
    5. Jason Schmidt

pettite is sketchy...

Miguel Tejada? Just because of RBI's huh. Thats pretty sad. Did you do all this or is it an article.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    5 Best Hitters
    1. Vlad
    2. Ichiro
    3. Bonds
    4. Pujols
    5. Helton

5 Best SPs
    1. Santana
    2. Unit
    3. Schilling
    4. Schimdt
    5. Peavy

5 Best CPs
    1. Gagne
    2. Rivera
    3. Foulke
    4. Lidge
    5. KRod

5 Best Teams
    1. Red Sox
    2. Yanks
    3. Cards
    4. Angels
    5. Twins

5 Worst Teams
    1. Rockies
    2. Royals
    3. Jays
    4. Nationals
    5. Brewers
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    Sorry BuckFoston. I meant GoYankees.

GoYankees: Just because someone talks a good game does not mean he is a good manager. Greg Schiano, Rutgers football coach, always talks a good game all the time, but he stinks as a football coach. That's what Ozzie Guillen is. Obviously, rockin agree that he is a lousy manager.