Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Instant Replay coming to baseball soon

MLB ERA

Re: Instant Replay coming to baseball soon

I don't think you can compare the sewing with instant replay.

I see where you're coming from DMB, and Hollywood as well, this is just my opinion. You guys have good arguments, and I admit, idk what to say ot some of them. I just personally feel like it shouldn't encroach on baseball. It's just my stubborn opinion. But I understand you guys want to get calls right, and I wouldn't be outraged if IR made its way into the MLB. But I'm just not really for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    actually, yes. i realize this may not be what other people think, but it's how i feel. and i don't think it's "broke." it's part of the game.

I really have no other argument, we're going to have to agree to disagree. you don't like the idea of keeping a few bad calls due to tradition. i do. i don't think we're going to get past that.
    That's because tradition is a dumb reason to do something, or not do something.

It makes no sense.

You're basicially saying that the pros and cons of a decison do not matter because all that's important is "that's the way it's always been done"

But I won't argue further, just wanted to state why I think "tradition" is a dumb reason to not use it.

that's not a judgement call. it's either a catch or not a catch, there's no judgement involved, just whether the ump saw it or not. by judgement i mean something like pass interference in football. that's a ref's judgement.
    I see what you mean....and that's an argument in favor of instant replay.

In football it's a judgement call, so even if they review it they could still make the wrong call (and often do).

In baseball it either is or isn't a catch (in case of a trap) and the review should only take a few seconds, and they will have the right call 99% of the time.

There are a few occasions where you can't tell very well from the slow mo replay, but those are few and far in between.

That's what makes the lack of instant replay so frustrating, though.

You're watching a game, the UMPs **** up the call, and you see plain as day on the replay that they did knowing that if they only had the ability to review it on a screen right quick they'd have the right call.....but baseball traditionalists are too scared to change anything.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    but baseball traditionalists are too scared to change anything.
    yup, that's basically how i feel

AAA ERA

actually, yes. i realize this may not be what other people think, but it's how i feel. and i don't think it's "broke." it's part of the game.
    It's NOT a part of the game, no where in the rule book does it say "Make a bad call." it's pretty black and white what they're suppose to do.

that's not a judgement call. it's either a catch or not a catch, there's no judgement involved, just whether the ump saw it or not. by judgement i mean something like pass interference in football. that's a ref's judgement.
    Seriously? So if a camera angle shows it was clearly one or the other and the ump blows it. That's a good thing? The current game of baseball is SO different from the one of yesteryear. Ground rule doubles used to be home runs. Want to go back to that? Of course not, because that's not what you grew up with.

The game has constantly made improvements. Just like how everyone was against the Wild Card, replay will eventually make it's way into baseball. People should argue on the best way to implement it, not why we should continue to live in the past.

I really have no other argument, we're going to have to agree to disagree. you don't like the idea of keeping a few bad calls due to tradition. i do. i don't think we're going to get past that.
    A few bad calls can cost a game, divisions are won by a few games sometimes. We shouldn't punish the team that should have won for human error.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

MLB ERA

i'll be honest, i'm getting completely owned in this thread.

but i'm gonna be stubborn and stick by my opinion. you guys are making very compelling arguments, and definitely have changed my feelings against it slightly. but i just feel like the human aspect of the game should never be challenged

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    It's NOT a part of the game, no where in the rule book does it say "Make a bad call."
    Making bad calls isn't part of the game? Sure, most would rather that it wouldn't happen, but flaws, like it or not, are an important part of the game. It's what makes baseball so unique from the other sports. They have relied on the eyesight of umpires for centuries, and very rarely has their eyesight ever failed a team. They can get a call right 98% of the time, and they can do it without all this high-tech stuff that they have in other major sports.

The game has constantly made improvements. Just like how everyone was against the Wild Card, replay will eventually make it's way into baseball. People should argue on the best way to implement it, not why we should continue to live in the past.
    Change isn't always a good thing. I don't want to bring up a whole different subject, but it's similar to the whole DH thing. I may be alone on this one, but I really don't like it. I don't feel that it was really neccessary, and neither is this instant replay. We aren't trying to continue living in the past, but rather trying to preserve whatever is left of the original style of baseball.

I have giantsfan's back on this one. I just think that baseball as a whole has been one of the best officiated games in all of history, and I don't know why you'd want to go in and change that, even if it were to be "for the better".

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by hot_corner_gurl View Post
    Making bad calls isn't part of the game? Sure, most would rather that it wouldn't happen, but flaws, like it or not, are an important part of the game. It's what makes baseball so unique from the other sports. They have relied on the eyesight of umpires for centuries, and very rarely has their eyesight ever failed a team. They can get a call right 98% of the time, and they can do it without all this high-tech stuff that they have in other major sports.
    If screw ups are what make the game so unique from other sports then perhaps being so unique from other sports isn't such a good thing.

Who cares how unique it is if it's wrong?

Change isn't always a good thing. I don't want to bring up a whole different subject, but it's similar to the whole DH thing. I may be alone on this one, but I really don't like it. I don't feel that it was really neccessary, and neither is this instant replay. We aren't trying to continue living in the past, but rather trying to preserve whatever is left of the original style of baseball.
    You're right, change isn't always a good thing, but in this case it is.

I have giantsfan's back on this one. I just think that baseball as a whole has been one of the best officiated games in all of history, and I don't know why you'd want to go in and change that, even if it were to be "for the better".
    Do you have an argument against instant replay that doesn't center around the fallible and senseless "that's the way it's always been done" reasoning?

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    If screw ups are what make the game so unique from other sports then perhaps being so unique from other sports isn't such a good thing.

Who cares how unique it is if it's wrong?
    These guys get the call right almost all the time...we've been doing just fine without the IR...why do you want to mess with perfection?

You're right, change isn't always a good thing, but in this case it is.
    It may be, but I beg to differ. See below.

Do you have an argument against instant replay that doesn't center around the fallible and senseless "that's the way it's always been done" reasoning?
    Tradition will always be the center of this argument for me, but obviously that's not good enough a reason. Instant replays will cause a delay of game. They may not take 5+ minutes like they do in football, but a delay of game is a delay of game, and having a fast paced game benefits everyone. It was just a recent topic (quickening games). This just seems to be so contradictory to what they were agreeing on at that meeting. And it would also cost quite a bit of extra $$ for the owners if they choose to implement the IR in their ballparks, whether you like it or not.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Tradition will always be the center of this argument for me, but obviously that's not good enough a reason. Instant replays will cause a delay of game. They may not take 5+ minutes like they do in football, but a delay of game is a delay of game, and having a fast paced game benefits everyone.
    It would only be one or two minutes at most. And it's not like they're reviewing everything, just whether or not a ball is a homerun. This would take a couple of seconds to determine and the game continues.

Getting a game-changing HR call correct is very well worth delaying a game by 1-2 minutes.

And it would also cost quite a bit of extra $$ for the owners if they choose to implement the IR in their ballparks, whether you like it or not.
    It's not your money and it's not my money, so what does it matter! If the owners vote in favor of it, they are fully aware of what they're getting themselves into, financially and otherwise!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

**** the human aspect, get the ****ing calls right.

I hate any arguments against instant replay on baseball, they make me mad and are a waste of my time to argue.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If anything, not having instant replay delays the game even more, because once the umpire makes the call on the field, you will inevitably have either manager disagree with the umpire's ruling. And as a result, the disagreeing manager will take 4-5 minutes to get in the umpire's face and argue his point.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    If anything, not having instant replay delays the game even more, because once the umpire makes the call on the field, you will inevitably have either manager disagree with the umpire's ruling. And as a result, the disagreeing manager will take 4-5 minutes to get in the umpire's face and argue his point.
    Exactly.

And in the rare occurrences where this is actually effective and the ump changes the ruling you then have the other manager come out and waste another 4-5 minutes arguing.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    We have a winner.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Tradition will always be the center of this argument for me, but obviously that's not good enough a reason. Instant replays will cause a delay of game. They may not take 5+ minutes like they do in football, but a delay of game is a delay of game, and having a fast paced game benefits everyone. It was just a recent topic (quickening games). This just seems to be so contradictory to what they were agreeing on at that meeting.
    On top of what DK said (not to mention what I already said earlier in the thread...) in regards to the game is already being slowed down in the occurrences where it'd come in handy, the replays are not going to take half as long in baseball as they do in the NFL.

In the NFL it's a judgment call. They're trying to determine if the guy hit the ground before or after he officially "caught" the ball, whether or not he made a "football move" before he fumbled, whether or not the ball touched the ground before he fumbled, etc etc.

In baseball, the ball is either in the glove or it isn't. It is either on one side of the foul line or the other. It's either over the designated portion that's considered a home run or it isn't. It's either on one side of the foul pole or the other.

It's pretty night and day.

The only reason these calls are screwed up is because you're asking a human being that's often far away from the play to call it from a distance, and in real time.

Having the benefit to go back and look at it in slow mo real quick they'd have the right call in a matter of seconds.

They wouldn't need the 1-2 minutes they give NFL refs to make their judgment calls.

And it would also cost quite a bit of extra $$ for the owners if they choose to implement the IR in their ballparks, whether you like it or not.
    Who cares?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They can do it like in tennis. Both sides get 2 challenges per game, the replay gets shown on the Jumbotron and the decision is made within 10 seconds.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast