Thread: Opening week thoughts.

Opening week thoughts.

First, starting with the AL East.

The AL East is no longer the battle of the Red Sox & the Yankees, because the Rays, Blue Jays, and the Orioles are playing very good, while the Red Sox and Yankees are playing like an also ran. This comes as a surprise. The Rays are owning the Yankees, and the Blue Jays are owning the Red Sox too. To quote Vince Lombardi

WHAT THE HELL'S GOING ON OUT HERE?

Second, let's talk about the Detroit Tigers.

The Tigers are now 0-5, losses to the Royals 3 times, and the White Sox 2 times. They were in the basement of the AL Central last year. Their bullpen is absolute crap, and it needs to be fixed.

Third, for the surprises.

My biggest surprise has been changed to the Rays. They are ripping the Yankees a new one, winning both games by a grand total of 19-7. Also the Jays, because they are killing the Sox.

Lastly, the Yankees.

I WANT TO STRANGLE LATRASH HAWKINS AND KYLE FARNSWORTHLESS! At least Jonathan Albaladejo, Brian Bruney, Joba Chamberlain, Mariano Rivera, and Ross Ohlendorf are awesome. I thought Phil Hughes pitched great in his 1st start. Our offense has been cold, only hitting 2 homers.

Enjoy! What are your thoughts?

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Re: Opening week thoughts.

Detroit

What the hell is going on with the Motor City Kitties? Their bullpen is complete and utter garbage, and outside of Verlander their starting rotation isn't impressive...though Willis pitched well yesterday. That offense is going to need to score A LOT of runs if they want a chance at the division or the wild card. This team is digging a hole, and that isn't good.

Cleveland

Is the Indians offense so fragile that losing Vic Martinez for a few games puts them that damn cold? Outside of Sizemore and Garko, nobody else is producing much. I think Hafner needs to get his eyes checked, I don't think he's seeing the ball out of the pitcher's hand.

AL East

Wow, don't those standings look flipped around? The Red Sox in last place! The Yankees in second to last? The Orioles in first?

Kansas City

Right now, Kansas City leads the AL Central. The apocolypse is coming.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

AAA ERA

lol Rays & Orioles, give it a few weeks fellas.
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7...uthbertrc1.jpg
    Im not the Genius that traded for Brandon McCarthy. And my name is certainly not John Gibbons...

Turn 2

My biggest negative surprise has to be given to the winless Tigers at this point. Biggest added payroll has seemed to add biggest added pressure to this club back.

My biggest positive surprise is the Orioles. My thoughts when they started this re-building process is they would be 5 years away to being thrust into playoff mode. Needless to say, I don't think this early surge is any kind of sign that that is going to happen this season, but from what I have seen I really like watching this club and they have no quit in them.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Can't believe AJ Pierzynski is leading the league in hitting.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

The Tigers, Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Phillies, and Cubs are all going to be there in the end. It is the first week and there is no need to panic. Check back with me in AUgust and lets revisit this thread and see the difference then.

If no change then, then we can talk about surprises.

My biggest surprise of week one is how well the Cardinals starting rotation has looked. They have looked good so far. The potent Rockies offense is sputtering out of the gate thus far as well.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Or Jason Kendall leading the NL in hitting. that is a shocker too!!!

But as a Brewers fan, I love it of course.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Luke Scott (Orioles) is now the official BA leader for both leagues. Never heard of him until now. My biggest surprises are pretty much every team that you guys have already said, the O's, the Rays, the Cards, the Rockies, the Tigers...especially the Tigers. They're currently losing to the BoSox. Not looking good.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Its going to be a long season for the Mariners if they don't get Putz back soon.

How much more can i take of our inexperienced bullpen is murder for me?

Meanwhile, Jose Lopez already has 7 RBIs and a range of 7 inches.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)