Thread: Question about a rare but possible three way tie in the standings

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Question about a rare but possible three way tie in the standings

I asked a similar question back in I believe it was 2005 about what would happen in the event that the Yankees, Red Sox, and Indians are tied at the end of the season with two spots in the playoffs up for grabs. The answer was simple: the Yankees and Red Sox play an extra game and the winner heads into the playoffs as the AL East division winner and the loser plays another game with the Indians to determine the wildcard winner.

Now, what would happen in the event that three second place teams all from different divisions are tied at the end of the season with one spot up for grabs? I assume there would be short round robin tournament to determine the wildcard, but how many games and which team faces which first?

MLB ERA

Re: Question about a rare but possible three way tie in the standings

I think it mainly depends on what teams records are against each other, so suppose if team X has a better record against team Y and Z, that means team Y and Z will play each other, the winner will play against team X.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Question about a rare but possible three way tie in the standings

But teams X, Y, and Z are in a 3-way tie, so I don't think team X ought to get a bye even if its record against Y and Z is better than Y's record against X and Z and Z's record against X and Y. What if teams X, Y, Z's records against each other are all the same?

I still think there would be a round robin tournament, meaning X, Y, and Z play each other. But if they all play each other once, there's still the possibility of all 3 teams going 1-1.