Thread: AL West stronger?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

AL West stronger?

I heard on ESPN the other day that the American League has been consistently stronger than the National League. This may be true, however I can't have a true opinion because I don't watch a whole lot of National League games.
    When it comes to the AL, however, they said that the AL West has been cosistently stronger than the AL Central (load of crock IMO), but both not as strong as AL East, due to the 2 powerhouse teams in that division.

I looked up to see how many times a division has sent a team to the WS and won. I came up with the following:
    (Last 25 years)

AL East: 12 times with 9 WS champs
    AL Central: 7 times with 4 WS champs
    AL West: 4 times with 2 WS champs

If you would like to see for yourself, check out the link below. It goes wayyyyy back.

But with the stats above, is the AL West still that much better than the AL Central?

Link: World Series Winners
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Re: AL West stronger?

Eh, the "who's stronger" argument always sucks. All I care about is who's stronger now, not who's stronger way back when.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I never buy into the AL East being stronger. The Yankees and Red Sox carry this division and do well in the postseason but the Jays, O's and Rays don't do shit. The NL West had four teams teams above .500 last season. As a whole division, the NL West had to of been the best last year. This year, it looks to be much of the same. The AL West will be weak this year with Oakland in a rebuilding mode and Texas having no pitching.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

And the AL is better than the NL but slightly. In '08, the NL had more homeruns than the AL even when you take the lowest two teams out of the NL. The NL has two more teams than the AL so you have to eliminate two. The Brewers had the most homeruns of any team in baseball. The AL and NL had the exact same slugging percentage while the NL has a lower ERA than the AL even when you take the pitcher's ABs out of the equation. The AL might have more championships but as far as the whole league goes, the NL is right there with them.