Thread: Larry Bowa Protest Against New Rule

MLB ERA

Larry Bowa Protest Against New Rule

FanNation
    To protest baseball's new rule requiring base coaches to wear helmets, Larry Bowa threatened to march to his work station along the third base line wearing shin guards, a chest protector and a mask. "I'll really make a joke out of it," Bowa said. Bowa refused to wear a helmet in the Dodgers' exhibition opener Thursday at Holman Stadium and said he had no intention of doing so in the future. First base coach Mariano Duncan also ignored the rule that stemmed from the death of Mike Coolbaugh, who was struck by a line drive while coaching first base in the minor leagues last season. "I'm willing to write out a check for whatever the fine is for every game," Bowa said. "Whatever 162 games is, I'll write out a check for it."
    This just wrong. After what happened to the coach in the Minors last season I'm surprised this rule is just coming out now. Coaches should already be wearing helmets.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Re: Larry Bowa Protest Against New Rule

Baseball has been played professionally for well over 100 years. In all those years the only incident I know of is the Coolbaugh incident. There may be a couple more that I am unaware of in history. Why should the rule change for one isolated incident? Accidents are something that you take a chance on everytime you step on the field as a player or a coach. It should be up to the individual whether or not he chooses to wear the helmet. If Bowa wants to take a chance on getting his skull cracked by a Gary Sheffield foul ball, then what is it to you Draven? This isn't Little League or Junior League. These are grown men, Bowa is 63 years old Draven, I sure hope that he can make his own decision and know what he is choosing to do at that age and knows he's assuming the risk.

Furthermore, I don't see pitchers or 3rd basemen being required to wear helmets, and they are at every bit as much risk as the 3rd and 1st base coaches. The pitcher is probably at far more risk than anyone else on the field because he has just delivered the ball and is closer than anyone else. I can think of a few pitchers that have been hit in the head very quickly... Matt Clement, Bryce Florie (it basically ruined his career), and Daryl Kile. That's just off the top of my head, as far as 3rd base coaches... I know of one, the Coolbaugh incident. Accidents happen, and that's part of the risk of playing/coaching, it should be up to them. People get killed in cars every minute, do you think they should pass a law making them illegal?????????

MLB ERA

While I support saving lives, I also hate Larry Bowa. I don't know where I stand on this.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think it should be up to the coaches themselves. If a coach doesn't want to wear one, then he shouldn't be forced to.

MLB ERA

I don't think one can necessarily mandate that all coaches wear helmets. In my mind, I haven't the faintest idea why someone would risk injury or life over such a stupid argument, but I guess I'm not them. I think it should be a strong recommendation, and I hope that no one gets hurt because of their stubbornness. However, people have to realize that this is a serious risk, and not as rare as everyone seems to believe. PLEASE, PLEASE, coaches, just wear the helmets.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

While I like the rule, I think it should be up to the individual to wear a helmet or not.

However, this is just Bowa's stubborness. Putting on the helmet isn't that big of a deal, he should just wear it and be done with it.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bowa isn't the only one who thinks it's dumb. Just someone the other day on the radio said they felt like a bat boy going out there to coach. He also said it made hearing more difficult.

There's just no reason for it, it's their risk, should be their choice. It's not anybody's business but their own, they are all adults and know what they are doing.