Thread: No More Green

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No More Green

In an interview Wednesday with the New York Post, Shawn Green said that he's decided to retire.
    Green told the newspaper that he drew interest "from six or seven teams" after hitting .291/.352/.430 for the Mets last season, but indicated that none were close enough to his California home to be appealing. "I wanted to stay here with my family," Green said. "Not travel around the country anymore. I enjoyed playing a lot. I enjoyed New York. But for me, it was time to be home." If Green is truly done, he finishes a 15-year career as a two-time All-Star and .283/.355/.494 hitter with 328 homers and 1,070 RBI.
    I personally don't think Green is done. Hitting .291/.352/.430 is very useful for a most of the teams near California especially when you can play 1B and OF.

MLB ERA

Re: No More Green

I agree. I watched him with the Mets, and at the start of last season, I abhorred the way Green played. But he plays with energy, he loves the game, and while he may not have significant power, he can still be a lower order batsmen for someone. He still has a decent glove, and can be a veteran guy in the clubhouse...I'm shocked no one would sign him at least to a MLC

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If you had read the quoted passage, you would know that six or seven teams offered him a deal, but apparently neither one of them are the Dodgers, Angels, or Padres.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Or Giants, Rockies, Mariners, Dbacks that are near California. That doesn't mean they couldn't use him at some point. Someone can get hurt and then boom, interest is created.

MLB ERA

If you had read my comment, you'd know that I said I was shocked no one had SIGNED him, not that no one had OFFERED him a deal. Greeny loves the game of baseball, and I spoke to him last yr during BP, when he told me that he felt like he wouldn't be whole without baseball. In my opinion, I would definitely not be shocked if he comes back at some point maybe as an injury replacement this yr, or next year...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Sounds like you know Green ljshorty. Am I right?

That would be pretty cookl. I have always liked watching him play. Especially in his Dodger days. I think he will stick somewhere this year.

MLB ERA

I don't, but I sit in like the second row at 20 Mets games per year, and I talk to a bunch of the players during BP. I've even spoken with Jose Reyes in spanish. Shawny was awesome, he spoke to me and my dad for like 10 minutes while signing autographs one time last august. I hope that if he's done, he's happy, and if not, he gets a job with a team that can be competitive, because I'd like to see him succeed.