Thread: The New Spring Training Rule

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The New Spring Training Rule

According to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, MLB could punish the Mets after they sent just one regular (Ryan Church) on a road trip to Lakeland to play the Tigers on Wednesday.
    It's about time MLB started looking to enforce the "four regulars" rule after teams have gotten awfully lax about it the last few years. Fining the Mets in this case isn't absolutely necessary, but if MLB lets it know that the fines will come in the future, teams will begin to toe the line.
    Can't believe I didn't hear of this but this is a great move by MLB. ST tickets are way too expensive for seeing your favorite stars for an inning if at all. Great move and MLB should enforce this rule.

MLB ERA

Re: The New Spring Training Rule

I didn't know about this rule but it would be nice if MLB actually enforce their rules.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

This is something I haven't heard of before. Just to make sure I understand; a team must send at least 4 "regular" players on each road trip or must minimum of 4 "regulars" play in each game? What defines a player as "regular"?
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I guess someone who is already on the 40 man roster would be a regular. Not sure if they have to play or just dress. I am guessing they have to play at least an inning for the rule to truly make sense.

MLB ERA

I don't like the rule. Personally, I don't think you can mandate anything like this, for 2 reasons:

1) The Mets spoke with MLB today and because Carlos Beltran, Damion Easley, Luis Castillo and Endy Chavez hurt and recovering from surgeries, there was no way to send that many regulars.

2) You have to keep in mind that the Mets have had experience with players getting hurt because of the long bus rides. Last year, Delgado's back locked up because of a 2-3 hour ride, and Detroit's ST home is far from Port Saint Lucie.

So, maybe other people like it, but i'd rather demand lower ticket prices, because personally, if I were going to an ST game, I'd go to see the prospects, not the "regulars" (for the most part).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

When have fans not screamed about ticket prices and everything else being expensive at ballgames? Four guys from a 40 man roster isn't that hard. Getting guys from the 25 man roster isn't that hard. One position player and three relievers isn't hard.

MLB ERA

What you're not realizing is that the Mets actually sent 4 guys from the 25 man roster. Marlon Anderson, Mike Pelfrey, Ryan Church, Ruben Gotay, and Ramon Castro were all sent for that game.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I do realize that. Play them! Its what fans pay out the ass to see, names they know.