Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball's Congressional Hearings

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Baseball's Congressional Hearings

Reports are that Pettitte said Clemens talked to him about using HGH in 1999 or 2000.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Surprised no one commented on this today. Ok, I'm mot really since ESPN hasn't talked about anything other than Clemens vs. McNamee. It was very interesting today but Congress dropped the ball when they decided not to let Knoblauch and Pettitte testify in the same room with Clemens and McNamee.

AAA ERA

Unfortunately it looks like Roger lied and if so he deserves jail time.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Unfortunately it looks like Roger lied and if so he deserves jail time.
    try to prove it though. because in a perjury trial, mcnamee is going to be called in again, and with HIS lying and his baggage, a defense lawyer is going to have an absolute field day tearing his tale to shreds.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It wouldn't be that hard to do really. Present the facts of the case and call Andy Pettitte to the stand. McNamee might have lied in the past but what rat hasn't?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    It wouldn't be that hard to do really. Present the facts of the case and call Andy Pettitte to the stand. McNamee might have lied in the past but what rat hasn't?
    If Andy takes the 5th they have no case...Clemens is off scot free...I still take his word over McNamee's.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You take Clemens word over McNamee's? Are you kidding me?

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    You take Clemens word over McNamee's? Are you kidding me?
    i would take bonds' word over mcnamee's as well (if it was bonds instead of clemens)
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Wow! Un-****ing-believable. McNamee told the truth about everyone except Clemens. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post
    If Andy takes the 5th they have no case...Clemens is off scot free...I still take his word over McNamee's.
    Totally agree they have no case on Clemens if Andy pleads the fifth. However, you're saying you take Clemen's word over McNamee's, so that must mean you take Clemen's word over Pettite's too?

Bottom line, both Clemen's and McNamee are classless individuals. They are both liars, the difference is... One of them has admitted he's a liar, and the other just continues to lie and expect us to be foolish enough to believe him just because there is no admissable physical evidence to prove he is a liar at this time. Clemen's whole situation reminds me of Barry Bonds, time after time insisting that they never used, never used. Nobody believed Barry and within the last week a failed drug test has surfaced. There is little doubt in my mind that Clemen's is lying, whether physical evidence will ever surface I do not know.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Difference between Bonds and Clemens is that Bonds admitted steroid use, just that he didn't know about it. Clemens expects us to believe McNamee told the truth about Knoblauch, Pettitte and Roger's own wife but not about Roger himself. Everything McNamee has said has been backed up, even the Canseco party.

Well Reefer, I know you are a Bonds fan, but I don't believe he didn't know what he was taking, and even if he didn't, he's responsible for knowing what goes in his body. But back to the Clemens subject. During the hearing, Clemens even stated that other than the particular items pertaining to him he felt the Mitchell Report was pretty accurate. I also found it quite humurous that Clemens himself admitted the part about his wife, after McNamee brought it up of course. Clemens just disagreed on the particulars of the incident. There is no way that Pettite, who is supposedly one of Clemen's best friends, sided with McNamee's story unless he was completely sure of what went on. Clemen's is claiming a "misunderstanding", well if there was any doubt, any doubt what-so-ever, Pettite would have given Clemens the benifit of the doubt.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Lance324 View Post
    Well Reefer, I know you are a Bonds fan, but I don't believe he didn't know what he was taking, and even if he didn't, he's responsible for knowing what goes in his body. But back to the Clemens subject. During the hearing, Clemens even stated that other than the particular items pertaining to him he felt the Mitchell Report was pretty accurate. I also found it quite humurous that Clemens himself admitted the part about his wife, after McNamee brought it up of course. Clemens just disagreed on the particulars of the incident. There is no way that Pettite, who is supposedly one of Clemen's best friends, sided with McNamee's story unless he was completely sure of what went on. Clemen's is claiming a "misunderstanding", well if there was any doubt, any doubt what-so-ever, Pettite would have given Clemens the benifit of the doubt.
    I agree with what you're saying however aren't we just trying to calculate the levels of lying or half-truths about these players? Barry Bonds was making a lot of money and helped pay for that new stadium in SF so should it be OK that I somewhat understand his defiance on EVERYTHING? Clemens is doing the same thing albeit with a different approach. These guys are trying to protect their legacy and in the end they're the ones that have to answer to themselves and their kids first. Selig, the players union, all of them did what they had to do to restore the financial foundation after the strike and now it's obvious how far they went. Like DK said at least Clemens is going down swinging.....

I guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12