Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twins now say....

MLB ERA

Re: Twins now say....

Not sure I would be that optimistic as to the number of wins for Santana/Liriano or the Twins. I can see Santana (a happy Santana) winning 18 games and Liriano should be good for 10, as I do not see him getting more than 25 starts. I see the team finishing with 84-88 wins and being competitive for the WC next season. If they get Johan signed to a long-term deal, and then sign Nathan and Liriano to shorter term deals, they could be back in the ACLS in 3 years.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

your total is way to low!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

I hope I am wrong about my prediction, but I just do not see the team making that big a jump from last season, unless a couple of holes are filled. The bullpen should be improved. The rotation will be no worse, and possibly better. SS will be better defensively. 3B is still a problem and now CF is as well.
    I just don't see this team contending without some major improvements from some players -- Punto, Buscher, Priddie, Kubel.
    I would like to see the Twins ask Johan which players he would like them to go after, and do it. This would give him incentive to stay with the team. Had they done this with Torii, it is possible he would not have declared for FA in October.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Im willing to go out on a limb.

Seattle is more likely going to win 90, before Minnesota goes out and wins 100.

Minnesota has a lot of holes on offense outside of a fragile Joe Mauer and a streaky Justin Morneau.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

I don't see Minnesota turning it around that quickly. Santana/Liriano are not enough better than some of the other AL staffs to make up for Minnesota's lack of offense. That lineup has holes all through it. To further complicate matters for them they are in the same division as Cleveland and Detroit. Cleveland should be just as good as they were last year, and Detroit has bettered themselves more so than any other team. Minnesota is in for a long season I believe.

MLB ERA

Wait a minute here fellas. We lost Hunter who was the only top player. We gained a younger better hitter in Young to play rf for us. We also filled SS and 3rd base. SS is a wash, and 3rd base we got better in. We lost Silva which is NO loss at all. Is he worth 48 million hell no. The big plus to this season is we get back Liriano, who is now healthy and by all reports ready to go! If you all remember Liriano was dominating before the injury. NO ONE could hit off him. Sure there will be a change in his pitching but I see it for the better.

We had 79 wins last season with more injuries than most teams get in 3 years combined. I do see at least a 10 game improvement, IF we can stay healthy and have Santana signed watch out. When Santana went into Polad's office and asked about why we traded players for nothing and received the "were cutting payroll crap again" is when the team went in the tank. We were in the race then. A unhappy Santana is not a good thing for the club. When your owner does not want to spend money to make the team better how do we win?

Finally

I think in all honesty we need to move Santana and get either Ellsbury or Cabrera to play cf, then get the sp and other pieces we need. Then you cant say were not a contender.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

Although I agree that the team was decimated by injuries last season, I do not see them gaining more than 5-10 wins over last year's total, and they have the Tigers and Indians within the division that are likely both going to win 92-98 games next season. If the Twins can stay in the race and make a couple of deadline deals (which they should have made last season), they could finish "in the money" again. I do not see them having a "long season", but they will not be in the upper tier of teams in the AL, IMO.
    I do like Adam Everett at SS, but there is a reason Mike Lamb was cut loose. I do not see him as an answer at 3B.
    I'd like to see the Twins offer Jason Tyner a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training. He could help them again.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Twins now say....

I agree with you catman. Lamb is an "older" player, he is not the answer the Twins need at 3B. He will be a good filler until someone like Macri or another minor leaguer is ready to come up.
    As far as wins go, I don't see them getting higher than 85. Yeah, Liriano will be back, and we are all saying he's going to be just as good, but I don't think the club is going to re-sign Santana. Boston is not going to give up Ellsbury, so the trade that all the Twins fans are wishing for is probably not going to happen.
    I think the mindset of management right now is saving up to be able to field a competitive team for the new stadium in 2010. I hope I'm wrong.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I feel the Twins need another bat withsome punch in the middle of their lineup and possibly another starter. Just my take as an outsider.

MLB ERA

we were at 78 wins last season. SO and 10 wins and it's 88 for 2008. But you never know what will happen. If we hit 90 wins its a good season for us. Less than 80 to me is a bad year!

What do you think the potential Twins lineup will look like? Lets get this started and see what we all think..
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

How about moving the discussion back to the Twins board here? That way, people interested will be able to find it, and those not interested won't have to wade through it to find what they want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12