Thread: Canseco: "Big names missing from Mitchell Report."

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Canseco: "Big names missing from Mitchell Report."

Canseco: Big names missing from report
    Thursday, December 13, 2007

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- When Jose Canseco tried to get into the Mitchell Report news conference Thursday, the man mentioned most often in those 409 pages wasn't welcome.

Major League Baseball officials refused to let him in, saying it was a "media only" event.

The former Oakland Athletics slugger didn't force the issue and was unimpressed with what he heard of the report.

"It's a slap on the hand," he told Fox Business Network. "The report proved nothing. It just proved what we already knew."

Canseco's name appears 105 times in the Mitchell report, more than that of Bonds (103) or Clemens (82).

"I saw the list of players, and there are definitely a lot of players missing," he told Fox Business Network. "I don't know what they accomplished or what they are trying to prove."

Prodded further about players not included, Canseco said this of Alex Rodriguez: "All I can say is the Mitchell Report is incomplete. I could not believe that his name was not in the report."

Canseco was one of the first to admit using steroids in his 2005 book "Juiced." There, he gave specific names of other players who allegedly used, including teammate Mark McGwire.

In Mitchell's report, Canseco is reported as the first target of public speculation about steroids in baseball. In 1988, Washington Post writer Thomas Boswell claimed Canseco was "the most conspicuous example of a player who has made himself great with steroids."

Canseco, coming off the first 40 home run-40 steal season in baseball history, denied using steroids at the time. He won the MVP award that year.

He changed his tune in his book, in which he recounts his use of anabolic steroids and human growth hormone, and claimed widespread use throughout the league.

According to Mitchell's report, former Oakland manager Tony La Russa told "60 Minutes" in 2005 that Canseco used to laugh about how other players were spending time in the gym, and how he didn't have to, because he was doing the other 'helper.'

"You know, the easy way," La Russa had said.

Vancouver native Dave McKay, an Oakland coach from 1984 to 1995, told the Toronto Sun at the time: "We had one guy who talked about steroids and that was Jose. ... The most common question I was asked was: 'I won't get too big, will I?"'

When interviewed in connection with the report, however, La Russa and McKay said they had no direct knowledge Canseco used steroids.

After Canseco's book came out, he and McGwire were among the players subpoenaed to appear before the House Committee on Government Reform. McGwire refused to answer specific questions.

In the course of the Mitchell investigation, a number of people who knew McGwire were interviewed. No one other than Canseco alleged use by McGwire.

MLB ERA

Re: Canseco: "Big names missing from Mitchell Report."

As much credibility as Jose fell ass backwards into, this bullshit he's spinning that he keeps building up about the "evidence" he has on A-Rod is going to ruin him.

He keeps saying "It'll be in the next book, just wait until then." I hope the evidence is that he heard from a friend that A-Rod maybe used steroids once.

**** Jose. He did a lot with Juiced but since then he's nothing but an attention/money craving shitbag rumermonger.

AAA ERA

Of course this list is incomplete, the list was a joke. There are so many more players and big name players that used but they are getting away w/ it b/c they didn't have a clubhouse attendant or trainer involved in the investigation.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by McKain View Post
    As much credibility as Jose fell ass backwards into, this bullshit he's spinning that he keeps building up about the "evidence" he has on A-Rod is going to ruin him.

He keeps saying "It'll be in the next book, just wait until then." I hope the evidence is that he heard from a friend that A-Rod maybe used steroids once.

**** Jose. He did a lot with Juiced but since then he's nothing but an attention/money craving shitbag rumermonger.
    exactly. now he's just another publicity whore. for as much as he did with juiced, even a lot of that was exaggerated at the least.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

If he had something on A-Rod, why didn't he mention it in his first book? He talked about A-Rod. He talked about how he isn't the "angel" he is perceived to be, but then he cited his phoniness with the media - not some connection with PEDs. Or did he just decide to save the best for last?