Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlins Pathetic Payroll

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Re: Marlins Pathetic Payroll

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    If getting rid of Elijah Dukes counts as a smart move for the Devil Rays, that would make acquiring Dukes a dumb move and hence, not one of the "good trades lately" for the Nationals.
    I wasn't talking about the Dukes trade. I was talking about the Rays acquiring players to improve their pitching, which was their no 1 problem last season. But I see your point yes.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by RedsoxFan03 View Post
    I disagree, Marlins can go. Rays, Royals, Nats, Twins and the A's are actually good. If you want to dump them because they play low ball that's just sad, low ball is one o fhte ways GMs can run a baseball. It's very interesting to see how it would go. Nats pulled good trades lately, Royals are signing lots of free agents, Rays are off to a fresh start and smart moves, Twins and A's have been good through the past years.
    The Marlins can go? The same Marlins that have won two titles in 14 years of existence while the Rays, Royals, Nats, Twins and the A's haven't won one in that time span? Those Marlins?

I think we are all missing the big picture. THE MARLINS WILL HAVE A $8 MILLION PAYROLL!! Where is all this money going?? They get TV deals and luxury taxes and revenue shares. This is a ****ing disgrace to baseball!!

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Marlins can go? The same Marlins that have won two titles in 14 years of existence while the Rays, Royals, Nats, Twins and the A's haven't won one in that time span? Those Marlins?
    yes they can go, they currently have 8million payroll, they get nobody in their ugly orange stadium, screw the new stadium. They have to move to Memphis or Hartford or wherever that can take their firesaling team.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I thought you meant go as in contract.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I thought you meant go as in contract.
    no I meant go as in move to another city or new ownership

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Great stuff.

The Marlins have few fans, and Loria has almost none among the league office. Baseball's bigwigs dislike Loria and his sidekick president David Samson, who also doubles as his former son-in-law, as reasons No. 1 and 1A why the Marlins have yet to get the new roofed stadium they desperately need. MLB people believe Loria and Samson have unintentionally destroyed several deals by annoying the authorities of Miami and Florida.

But the real reason not to like Loria is that he uses his team as his personal ATM machine. The Marlins rake in close to $30 million in revenue sharing monies annually yet he kept their payroll to about $25 million last year. Which means they are already $5 million ahead before they sell a ticket. Plus, the trade of Willis and Cabrera will line Loria's pockets to the tune of another $20 million saved. Florida's 2008 payroll could go below $20 million now, 10 percent that of the Yankees.

Thanks to the considerable smarts of Loria's baseball people, the team has done the best it can considering the oh-so-limited resources he gives them. But something's not right when the top front-office people all are given contracts through 2015 -- that's right, 2015 -- and none of their players is working on anything longer than a one-year contract.
    SI.com - Writers - Jon Heyman: Tigers among AL's elite after trade - Wednesday December 5, 2007 12:48PM

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Wow! Good find Dirty.

Note to self: Go to business school and work for the Marlins.

MLB ERA

Portland, Vegas, Oklahoma City. Any city with fans dying for MLB team.
    You should have added Idaho to that list.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Sad thing is the Marlins win it all in 2011.
    I bet you they don't.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I bet you they don't.
    If they hire Mission as the GM, they will win multiple titles before 2011.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Right, because major league baseball games happen to be decided by a computer game engine. All you OOTP nerds need a bat to the head.

AA ERA

I live like 30 minutes from Louisville, I would love to see us get a professional baseball or football team. Louisville came close to getting the Grizzlies before it was decided they would go to Memphis, but I never really wanted a professional basketball team being that we have the Kentucky Wildcats and Louisville Cardinals who are already larger than life within the state.

I would just hate to see what they would change the name too, they had a contest when the Louisville's AAA team switched affiliates from St. Louis to Cincinnati, and the winning name was the "River Bats".. They've since changed it to just the Bats, but what a ridiculous name.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I bet you they don't.
    I'll take that bet.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox34 View Post
    I live like 30 minutes from Louisville, I would love to see us get a professional baseball or football team. Louisville came close to getting the Grizzlies before it was decided they would go to Memphis, but I never really wanted a professional basketball team being that we have the Kentucky Wildcats and Louisville Cardinals who are already larger than life within the state.

I would just hate to see what they would change the name too, they had a contest when the Louisville's AAA team switched affiliates from St. Louis to Cincinnati, and the winning name was the "River Bats".. They've since changed it to just the Bats, but what a ridiculous name.
    Cincinnati would never let that happen. Louisville will not have a professional team as long as the Reds are in Cincy. That would be dividing the same market over 2 teams. Ok City is where I see the next move happening.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12