Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best owner in baseball?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Best owner in baseball?

Who do you think gets this award?

I give it to Arty Moreno of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Yeah the name change may look bad, but he is trying to market to the entire Los Angeles area. That could be his only possible flaw though. He has raised the team's salary and has purchased great talent toward a great looking team. He has not raised the ticket prices either. His revenue is coming from other areas, but he is still giviing the fans the ability to watch it live. The entire organization knows he is an owner that cares about the team winning, and the fans are lucky to have this guy own their team.

Do I even have to say

Steinbrenner has his bad moments, but he's a great owner, and I would have to say the best amongst the MLB.

AA ERA
    Call me a homer and I know Lynch will hate me for saying this, but I love Carl Pohlad. For my money, he is the best owner in baseball. He reminds me a lot like Devils GM John McMullen. He lets his GM do his job and he trust his GM. He always find a way to have his team do well with a tight budget every year. I think it's a great thing. I rather win with homegrown players than spend on mercenaries like big-market teams do. Also Carl always keeps his best homegrown players over the years.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Atre Moreno for the same reasons that Redsrbetter said.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by GoYankees
    Do I even have to say

Steinbrenner has his bad moments, but he's a great owner, and I would have to say the best amongst the MLB.
    I disagree. It's great he spends money but he needs to keep out of baseball decisions. When we had our latest dynasty he was not involved and it was built from w/in when he was suspended but in the past 4 years he has again been too involved in making baseball decisions and he crumbled the dynasty.

ERA
    Call NASA
    On the other hand, no one, no team wins all the time. The dynasty has not crumbled, is always under going repair, and will continue to be consistently the best in the world. Considering what Mr.S. got when he bought the franchise, there is little to no question he has been and is the greatest and wisest owner in all sports.

MLB ERA
    Definately not Angelos.... and this is coming from an O's fan

Moreno has done some great work

MLB ERA
    Uh, neither? It's hard for me to like any of the owners.

I like the owners who let the GMs do their thing. So, not Steingrabber. Props to him for ponying up though, but stay out of it, George.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Carl Pohlad? Ick. It's Ryan's doing or luck or the players on the field that have the Twins doing well, not Pohlad's padlocked safe.

I'll take Moreno anyday, or even the job Henry and co. have done in Boston.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joek
    On the other hand, no one, no team wins all the time. The dynasty has not crumbled, is always under going repair, and will continue to be consistently the best in the world. Considering what Mr.S. got when he bought the franchise, there is little to no question he has been and is the greatest and wisest owner in all sports.

Its been what 4 or 5 years since they won the WS. Dynastys dont go that long without winning one, last time i checked. Moreno is doing a better job than Mr.S.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

ERA
    Call NASA

Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    Its been what 4 or 5 years since they won the WS. Dynastys dont go that long without winning one, last time i checked. Moreno is doing a better job than Mr.S.
    It appears you think you have the determining say in what makes a dynasty. We will see at seasons end whose team gets furthest along, Mr.S. or Mr. Moreno. Also, please clue me in when Morenos team acquires the level of success as consistently of Mr.S.'s.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Any person with a brain knows that the going 4 years without a championship is no dynasty. I guess the Marlins are a dynasty? I guess the Dodgers were the dynasty of the 80's?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joek
    It appears you think you have the determining say in what makes a dynasty. We will see at seasons end whose team gets furthest along, Mr.S. or Mr. Moreno. Also, please clue me in when Morenos team acquires the level of success as consistently of Mr.S.'s.

Considering he just became the owner a couple of years ago. Only time will tell will it.

All I know is that Steinbrenner has fielded a competitive much more often in the 30+ years has owned the team than any owner in any sport.

Even the horrible 80's for the Yankees, they had some 2nd and 3rd place finishes. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/alltim...chise?team=nyy

Yes, he gets too involved but he fields a competitive team and does what it takes to win. No one can win every year in this age with so many great athletes everywhere but the Yankees have won the East Division 7 years in a row dating back to 1998 and made the playoffs every year since 1996. Braves fans maybe yawning but the Yankees have racked up 4 World Series titles and 6 pennants since 1996.

Since 2000(the last World Series title)...4 Years 4 Divison titles and 2 Pennants. How many teams would like to be in that slump?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast