Thread: GMs vote 25-5 in favor of recommending instant replay

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

GMs vote 25-5 in favor of recommending instant replay

GMs vote 25-5 to use replay to aid home run decisions

ESPN.com news services

Updated: November 6, 2007, 1:47 PM ET

ORLANDO, Fla. -- For the first time Tuesday, baseball general managers recommended instant replay be used to help umpires make close calls.

The recommendation, by a 25-5 vote, was limited to boundary calls -- whether potential home runs are fair or foul, whether balls go over fences or hit the top and bounce back, and whether fans have interfered with a possible homer.

Five general managers -- Dan O'Dowd (Rockies), Josh Byrnes (Diamondbacks), Jim Bowden (Nationals), John Mozeliak (Cardinals) and Billy Beane (A's) -- were in charge of the recommendation.

"We have a very technologically savvy group of GMs," Solomon said. "I was surprised that we had five teams that said no."

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig opposes the use of replays but said last month he was willing to let GMs examine the issue. "I don't like instant replay because I don't like all the delays. I think it sometimes creates as many problems or more than it solves," Selig said then.

But Jimmie Lee Solomon, an executive vice president in the commissioner's office, thinks Selig's stance has changed a bit recently.

"He seemed to be softer, at least on the consideration of the subject," Solomon said Tuesday.

He added it was unclear how the proposal will proceed and acknowledged there is "glacier-like movement in baseball" when it comes to innovation. Solomon said if Selig is willing, the commissioner probably would run the idea by owners. The plan needs approval from the players' association and umpires.

Solomon said GMs favored having a Major League Baseball official in a central place with access to all camera angles. If there is a disputed call, that official would be contacted and would view the television replay to make a decision.

A baseball executive told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney that instant replay is not likely to be implemented in 2008.

Solomon also said that to speed up games, baseball was considering limiting the number of times a hitter could step out of the batter's box during an at-bat and the number of times any player could visit the mound.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: GMs vote 25-5 in favor of recommending instant replay

Smart people know all it can be used for is homeruns and that's it. I have no problem with it.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Smart people know all it can be used for is homeruns and that's it. I have no problem with it.
    Not according to Trevortime.

MLB ERA

IMO Good move. So 2008 will be a new era for baseball.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Good idea for the most part. I guess if it is used correctly, it is a great idea!!!

I have had a change of heart with the instant replay. I still think it needs very strict guidelines or it will take away the human element. In most circumstances the umpires are right.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

ARG I'm gonna have a hard time adjusting to it. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea if it's used only when needed (aka sparingly). But I'm just an old stick in the mud and I don't like change very much so this might take some getting used to...

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I agree hot corner gurl... nice point.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 777rak View Post
    IMO Good move. So 2008 will be a new era for baseball.
    No one said that they're implementing instant replay for 2008. It's just the owners voting to recommend instant replay usage.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think that this is something that is needed for baseball. As long as they don't overdo it that is.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

And its only for homeruns. If instant replay is brought in, it can only be for homeruns.