New York Yankees, Major League Baseball - CBSSports.com

NEW YORK -- Yankees general manager Brian Cashman will support instant replay in baseball next season.

At their meetings in Orlando, Fla., next week, major league GMs plan to discuss whether to recommend using television replay to commissioner Bud Selig and owners.

"I am 110 percent for it and have been for quite some time," Cashman said Thursday, praising umpires but saying that replays could only help.

"This game moves so fast that the amount of times that they are correct is just amazing, and that's why they are at the top of their profession," Cashman said. "But why not utilize technology to your advantage to make certain that you get the play right on the field at all times, not just 99.9 percent of the time?"

Replays could be used to determine whether balls down the lines are fair or foul, and whether balls that hit near or at the top of fences are home runs.

"If it's considered, it would be very limited because I think it does stop the game," Milwaukee Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said. "There's too many events that can happen on a replay. For example, you can't do with a guy (on) whether it's a shoestring catch or not, because then you've got to put the runners back and all that. If there is, it would be a very, very rare type of situation, I think."

One thought has been to introduce replay only for postseason games, but Melvin thinks uniform rules should apply.

"I think you would have to do it regular season, too," he said.