Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Realigning MLB

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Realigning MLB

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    I have yet to see one argument against instant replay in baseball that makes any sense.

I want instant replay in baseball and it has nothing to do with "making it more like football" and everything to do with making the game more fair.
    Thank you, we have a winner.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

The only argument ever made for it that has some ground is that it'd "slow the game down"

But that point is completely negated when you take into consideration the fact that every time a situation occurs where instant replay would come in handy and be used...the game is slowed down anyways by umpire conferences and managers arguing.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If you have it for homeruns only then yes but in no other situations could it be used. But umpires get homeruns calls right 99 out of 100 times so what's the point. Now that umpires get together instead of being stubborn like they used, it hasn't been a problem.

MLB ERA

Home run calls, any other hit along the lines that's either fair or foul, catches vs traps, safe or out, calls at the plate (especially if it's the would-be winning run of an extra inning wildcard playoff ).... pretty much anything but balls and strikes if you ask me.

9 times out of 10 slow motion replay shows the right call clear as day, and I'd be willing to put up with that 10 percent of occasions where it's kinda foggy due to camera angles (such as the play I hinted at)

(And I think I'm being generous giving the not-so-clear plays 10 percent)

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I wish people would stop trying to make baseball like football. It can't happen nor should it. I hate football now because it has become a pussy sport. Too many rules and is way too slow. I don't want instant replay in baseball and I don't want another WC team. The NFL playoffs are brutal and so is the NBA's. Baseball playoffs going into November is also a bad idea. Things I am for, the Devil Rays and Marlins finding new homes.
    Baseball already copied the WC concept from football.

And baseball is not a pussy sport? You got guys making 10 times the money than football players, but if they break a ****ing pinky nail, there on the DL? Unlike football players, play through injuries and dont go on the IR if they get injured(depending on the injury)

Adding another division and another WC team, would work real well, you get teams who play 182 games and not make the playoffs because there was just one WC spot? I personally think its demoralizing.

And NFL playoffs are not that long man, its been the same since the early 90s, or even before that, number 1 and 2 teams only have to win 2 games in order to get to the SB, all the other teams have to win 3 games, its basically rewarding the teams with the better record, and in football the WC teams do play there own divisional opponent depending on where in baseball they dont allow it, which is bullshit IMO.

And if baseball went with a 6 team playoff and reward the top 2 teams with a 1st round bye and let there pitching staff rest up.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

There are just so many ways it could improve the game...I can think plenty of calls during the past few years that would have been changed at important moments in important games. The funny part is, if baseball gets it, once it starts working correctly everyone will say how great an idea it was while people are bashing it now...it just makes NO SENSE not to have it. There's not one good reason why they shouldn't.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83 View Post
    And baseball is not a pussy sport? You got guys making 10 times the money than football players, but if they break a ****ing pinky nail, there on the DL? Unlike football players, play through injuries and dont go on the IR if they get injured(depending on the injury)
    Give me a break.

Football players sit out games all the time for injuries.

And don't feed me this stereotypical bullshit about baseball players not playing through injuries when I'm constantly having to defend Jake Peavy's bad playoff record because he pitched one game with broken ribs and another with tendinitises in his pitching shoulder.

MLB ERA

I forgot to comment on the instant replay part, IMO there should be a instant replay on these
    -If the ball is a fould or fair, if it went past the foul pool, did it hit the foul line, did the 1B and/or 3B touch the ball while it was going foul, and ect
    -Homerun, see if the ball went passed the homerun line, ect

Thats about it, not balls and strikes, because every ****ing AB there will be a instant replay, only on the two things I stated.

If anyone else wants to add another scenario for instant replay, go right ahead.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Give me a break.

Football players sit out games all the time for injuries.

And don't feed me this stereotypical bullshit about baseball players not playing through injuries when I'm constantly having to defend Jake Peavy's bad playoff record because he pitched one game with broken ribs and another with tendinitises in his pitching shoulder.
    Do football players sit out when there injured, ofcourse, but not all the time, compare to baseball players.

If Jake Peavy had a poor performance in the playoffs because he was injured, then he should't have been pitching IMO, I dont wana sound like I'm talking shit about the Padres or anything, just saying.

And not often baseball players play through injuries as compared to football players.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Safe and out? Catches and traps? Balls hit down the lines? This can't work!!

No way is baseball going to stop and review plays at first base or any other base. Even in the WC game no one could tell for sure. This takes way too long and don't try and bring up the coaches coming out to argue argument. Already heard and don't buy it. If you keep reviewing plays throughout the game, I'd rather have arguments.

Catches and traps are already taken care of now thanks to the 2004 ALCS. Even then you can't tell if the ball hit his glove or dirt.

Balls hit down the line are tricky too. What if he calls it foul when it was fair? What then? Automatically give them bases? It just can't work!! Baseball is long enough as is. No reason to make it a 4 1/2 hour affair when its not needed.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83 View Post
    If Jake Peavy had a poor performance in the playoffs because he was injured, then he should't have been pitching IMO, I dont wana sound like I'm talking shit about the Padres or anything, just saying.
    But then we have a catch 22 here.

Had Jake Peavy sat out he'd be another example to you of "pussy baseball players who don't play through injuries"

damned if they do, damned if they don't I suppose

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Safe and out? Catches and traps? Balls hit down the lines? This can't work!!

No way is baseball going to stop and review plays at first base or any other base. Even in the WC game no one could tell for sure. This takes way too long and don't try and bring up the coaches coming out to argue argument. Already heard and don't buy it. If you keep reviewing plays throughout the game, I'd rather have arguments.

Catches and traps are already taken care of now thanks to the 2004 ALCS. Even then you can't tell if the ball hit his glove or dirt.

Balls hit down the line are tricky too. What if he calls it foul when it was fair? What then? Automatically give them bases? It just can't work!! Baseball is long enough as is. No reason to make it a 4 1/2 hour affair when its not needed.
    I'm replying in the appropriate thread, I'll see you there

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Wild Card teams dont belong? I guess Florida better hand back their WS championships, Boston is still waiting on one cause they were WC, I could go on. You're saying that media wouldnt have been all over the race for the wild card with upstart Seattle and AL Champ Detroit battling for that 2nd WC spot? It would have been worth its weight in GOLD and you "reward" a team for having a great regular season. You go back to 2 division format and St Louis doesnt even sniff the playoffs last year, and you lose a lot of the momentum that has been developing that any team can win.
    Did I say Wild Card teams don't belong? I don't see it anywhere in my post. I see where I said "adding more divisions and Wild Cards would put in teams that don't belong". I was referring to teams that get into the playoffs simply because they are in a weak division. One example that comes to mind immediately is San Diego last year, just over .500 made it due to the division. I'm all for the Wild Card, it's made the races far more exciting, and they definitely belong, one would be stupid not to see how many times they have won it all. I just don't want any more teams in the playoffs, they are fine the way they are now, 4 teams in each league. The more teams you add, you just keep adding weaker and weaker teams.

Here's a question for all you people wanting to add divisions and Wild Cards...

Who is it that you feel deserved to be in the playoffs this year that didn't make it?????

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

There have been a few teams that were more deserving but it didn't really bother me.

MLB ERA

Here is an idea I have take a team out of the NL Central and put them in the AL West.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast