Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rick Ankiel

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rick Ankiel

I was very surprised to see that the Ankiel story was not a topic in here. Surprised and disappointed. Ankiel has been the best story in baseball and it just took a hit, a slight hit. In case you don't know reports came out that said Ankiel received HGH from Jan. '04- Dec. '04. There is no way to test for HGH in MLB so who is to say whether he took it before or hasn't stopped. But let's stick with the evidence at hand. In '04, Ankiel was still trying to make it as a pitcher. He was coming off elbow injuries and was trying the make his name worth something again rather than be used as a running joke. All of us would have done the same. The report also said he quit buying HGH at the end of '04. This means he stopped using before he made his transition from pitcher to outfield. Just think, this enhanced his performance so much in '04 he had to quit his job and start from scratch This story should not take away from the fact that he has had to overcome so much. He started in '05 and worked his ass off to even be invited to Spirng Training in '06 where he blew out his knee. You can make all the accusations you won't but the eveidence shows that what he did was legal (unlike Gary Matthews) though immoral, did this in '04 when he was still just a pitcher and that all the HGh in world won't change a pitcher into a ML outfielder.

I apologize if this is all over the place but I am heavily medicated right now and my mind is mush.

I was also not allowed on the Jim Rome show with these views because they were not Jim's. He failed to give the facts that he was a pitcher then and this has nothing to do with the progress he is showing now. Rome also tried to reason this was tainted by stating that he obtained HGH by the internet which is not on the up and up. I told the screener that this was untrue. Ankiel's doctor oredered them and Ankiel picked them up at the clinic, not his house. Facts like these somehow got away from Rome and I wasn't allowed on because of it.

Re: Rick Ankiel

If it's true that he used HGH, I lost respect for him.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Say it ain't so Rick!
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

**** 'em.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

so he used HGH? big deal. if hes still using nowadays thats a problem. but if he isnt, thats no big worries. doesnt bother me really.

just like i dont get all hot n bothered by barry, and even big mac.

It is what it is.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

**** Jim Rome, dont even bother calling if he and his producer are going to be this ****ing ignorant. Also LTR do you have a link that says that Ankiel's doctor prescribed HGH to him?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I was going to leave a story this morning but i thought there was someone would put it up.

I really hope this Ankiel thing is false. Hes been the best story outside of Seattle to me this season.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

I'd go Ankiel > Hamilton > Seattle

but yeah, the mere fact that he obtained HGH and used it in 04/05 casts a whole lot of doubt on what he's doing.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Seattle = Hamilton.

Who expected Seattle to be near their win total in early September.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

who expected a dude who hadnt played baseball in several years, coming off of severe drug addictions, to have a .900+ OPS

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think we also need to mention Carlos Pena for Tampa Bay. He's having a monster year this year.

MLB ERA

ah yes, mr. pena
    too bad he won't get a damn bit of attention since he's in TB

man it's been a good year for stories

MLB ERA

Rick Ankiel used HGH under the supervision of a Dr, who prescribed them for him. When MLB banned their use, he stopped. This is a non-issue to me.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Exactly, very similar situation with David Segui.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

You know he stopped using? There's no accurate way to test for HGH. I think we're all sitting here hoping this isn't true and at the same time wondering how a guy - who came up as a pitcher - could dominate the PCL and NL pitching so quickly.

I wish it wasn't true, but I have a feeling we're all going to get a McGwire-esque "denial" statement from Ankiel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast