Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best owner in baseball?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I would love to be in that slump for the M's but the fact of a matter is they are a consistent team. But so are the Braves but we dont call them a dynasty either. They arent the Celts of the 60s.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

ERA
    Call NASA

Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Any person with a brain knows that the going 4 years without a championship is no dynasty. I guess the Marlins are a dynasty? I guess the Dodgers were the dynasty of the 80's?
    On the other hand, anyone with a brain would know what the YANKEES have accomplished over the past ten years defines dynasty. All I ask, has any other team come close to what the YANKEES have done as a team over the past ten years?

Steinbrenner is a great owner in terms of his will to win and he is willing to do what it takes to win. But overall he is overrated. He isn't near as good as many believe he is and a lot of owners would do the same as him if they could.

ERA
    Call NASA
    There is nary an owner in baseball who does not have the capitol to build their team. Mr.S. bought a floundering, miserable franchise with little to nothing to offer. He did what no owner has done in baseball for the past 40 years. He invested, reinvested, made brilliant decisions, reinvested, made more brilliant decisions, and reinvested and has built the greatest franchise in sports for an original @$11m investment. Simply fantastic and unparalled.

ERA
    Call NASA

Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    I would love to be in that slump for the M's but the fact of a matter is they are a consistent team. But so are the Braves but we dont call them a dynasty either. They arent the Celts of the 60s.
    And rightly so, the M's and Braves are not dynasties. Good consistent competitive teams, but no where near the YANKEE dynasty. How many WS have they appeared in and won over the past ten years. Combined, they do not come close to the YANKEES.

Guys, stop living in the past. This is a WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY league. As much as I hate to admit it, the s0x won it all last year. The Yanks got the division. The Braves got the division. The Cards got the NL title. That's it.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

1. We are talking baseball not basketball. The only ownership better Steinbrenner in the history of MLB was likely a former Yankee ownership.

2. For the 21st century, thus far...I think most any franchise even outside of MLB would be happy with the success the Yankees have had just 2001-2004 let alone throw in some titles 1996-2000. The Braves are awesome in their division consistency but they have not done jack in the playoffs except 1995. Their last World Series visit was 1999. That is why we do not call them a dynasty, they are good but not great.

Quote Originally Posted by Porter99

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by joek
    On the other hand, anyone with a brain would know what the YANKEES have accomplished over the past ten years defines dynasty. All I ask, has any other team come close to what the YANKEES have done as a team over the past ten years?
    Man that is quite laughable. Have fun with the Al East dynasty. The Braves are happy with their's in the NL East. Not winning in 4 years by definition is no dynasty. Sorry but there is no getting around it. You can say ten years all you want but that's not a dynasty either. 1996-2000=DYNASTY, 2001-present=nada.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Carl Pohlad? Ick. It's Ryan's doing or luck or the players on the field that have the Twins doing well, not Pohlad's padlocked safe.

I'll take Moreno anyday, or even the job Henry and co. have done in Boston.
    You may be right, but Carl is not a bad owner as he is perceived. This guy goes out of his way to form a relationship with the players over the years. Carl has always stepped up in signing his homegrown players. Most current and former Twins players have always raved about Carl. I think Carl loves baseball and he loves the Twins organization. He has his own way of running a franchise similiar to former Devils owner John McMullen (McMullen used to own the Astros in the 80s).

Has Carl made bad judgements? Sure. Every business men is going to make bad decisions. That's the way it goes. The contracthing thing was stupid, but now I think it was nothing more than a ploy. Twins were never going to be contracted whatsoever. Let's just remember Carl saved baseball in Minnesota by purchasing the team by Calvin Griffth. Griffth was ready to move the team back then.

ERA
    Call NASA

Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Man that is quite laughable. Have fun with the Al East dynasty. The Braves are happy with their's in the NL East. Not winning in 4 years by definition is no dynasty. Sorry but there is no getting around it. You can say ten years all you want but that's not a dynasty either. 1996-2000=DYNASTY, 2001-present=nada.
    Now you wish and dream in your imaginary world to define a dynasty to five year segments. Whatever makes your happy.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Dynasty means winning championships, not AL East titles. Why don't you get on the same page as everyone else in the world and agree to the terms we all know and undertsand. You are the one in a dream world. Ask MR. S if this is a dynasty and I know he will laugh in your face.

ERA
    Call NASA
    If you feel that what defines dynasty is only winning championships every year, then so be it. If you think you and 'everyone else in the world' see it only one way then so be it. I am sre there are a few other people somewhere in this world who may see things a little differently than you.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    So you aren't gonna ask your "boss"? Wonder why?

Thank god for the Braves Dynasty lolololololol
    The Twins dynasty is great. Oakland's in the West is impressive too. The Bills Dynasty in the early 90's was awesome.

For a guy who thinks he works for the Yankees, you sure don't know a whole lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12