Thread: Talk of The Park #1: Should he stay or should he go?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Talk of The Park #1: Should he stay or should he go?

This is a new thing we plan on doing here at S3F: a weekly discussion topic to spark up some conversation. Each week there will be a new topic in this forum to discuss. More info will probably follow but this is the first one, so let's start it off...

Much has been made of the Barry Bonds chase for 756, and just as much has been made of Bud Selig's decision to attend or not to attend the upcoming Giants games. With Bonds's legacy tainted by alleged steroid use, Selig has taken a touchy stance on the subject but did show up for some recent Giants games before heading off to Cooperstown to attend the Hall of Fame inductions. A few viewpoints are prevalent here:
    a) Selig should go because it is the most hallowed record in baseball, if not all of sports
    b) Selig should not go because Bonds was a cheater and a steroid user
    c) Selig should go despite the alleged steroid use, because he knew about it and did nothing to get MLB out of this mess

It's been talked about many times, but now it's your turn to discuss - if you were Bud, would you go to the games or not?
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Talk of The Park #1: Should he stay or should he go?

Bud should go because he already said he would go because Bonds is "innocent until proven guilty."

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

d) none of the above. he doesnt need to go because its not the commissioner's job to be at any kind of record breaking event.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

If I was Bud I'd hang myself

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think C) fits best for me. I never have liked Bud Selig and for him to show his disfavor toward Bonds and not big time sluggers in the past is simply hypocritical. I really think he should be obligated to go if he has changed his stance on this whole thing.

His decisions have an effect on baseball fans. I hate to say it but the direction he leans, baseball seems to lean as well. The media has hyped this label on Bonds as a "cheater" and I took a massive bite on it myself. But I like to learn from my mistakes and take a much more humble approach in knowing that this is a huge deal. Barry Bonds is about to break the biggest record in sports and I can't wait to see it. We should all be greatful and so should Selig.

I do think he is a cheater still, but that is besides the point. That is why I choose C) here. I think McGwire was a cheater during the single season HR record chase and so was Sosa. But regardless of what I think, Bonds still is hitting more HRs than everyone else who used steroids in this era.

MLB ERA

I agree with redsrbetter. Selig helped create this mess and fuel the fire for the so-called "Steroids Era." Bonds, while the evidence against him is overwhelming, has technically never tested positive for anything, at least to the general fan's knowledge, so Selig would be condemning Bonds by not going. And as much as we all want to condemn Bonds, there's still the technicality of it all. I have no doubt in my mind Bonds got to the record using steroids but Selig should crown Bonds the champion until proven otherwise.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Does anypone have a problem with the excuse being made for Selig having to travel from town to town until the record is broken? I am just throwing that on top of everything else.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Does anypone have a problem with the excuse being made for Selig having to travel from town to town until the record is broken? I am just throwing that on top of everything else.
    in a word: no
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Bench Warmer
    Rookie ERA

I'm gonna go with C. No opinion needed from me since redsrbetter has words down nicely.

MLB ERA

Selig has said he will go to LA for the upcoming Giants/Dodgers series, so the Hall of Fame inductions were only a temporary break for him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Was Selig there for the tie tonight? I haven't been keeping up with his schedule. Shows how much he makes me care.