Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trade deadline winners and losers

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Trade deadline winners and losers

I personally feel Ensberg was an awesome pickup for the Padres!!! He just needed a change of scenery, and going to a playoff contending team will certainly re-ignite the pilot light in one's personal focus/drive/excitment again!!!!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Trade deadline winners and losers

Quote Originally Posted by Element View Post
    A suitor for Sexson? is that a joke... he's hitting .200, and should be dfa.

I'm glad the m's didn't make any moves. No impact playes, and I'm glad we didn't give up jones or wlad.
    Im sure the Yanks could have taken him .
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    I have to disagree. Teams needing to compensate for other moves or address weaknesses they have, if they are serious about the playoffs are losers for failing to address that. Just like teams with a commodity others wanted, no shot, and those players not being key to a possible plan a few seasons around, you have to trade at peaks and some teams failed to do that.
    Sorry about the lateness of this. But I've been planning a rebuttal but never got around to it.

I agree with the second part, trading away a commodity, in order to pick up something for the future. It's a valid plan that many quality GM's have undertaken, and with great success.

I also agree with your point about addressing a weakness in your team. It's called making your team better, which I believe is key to winning, which is part of the sport. Though some GM's are good at this, others may be not.

The part I have a problem with is the compensation of others moves. Take for instance the Gagne to Boston deal. Yes we knew that Gagne was going to be moved in the most likely hood. What we didn't know was where he would end up. I don't recall anyone mentioning Boston as a final destination. Maybe other GM's may have heard this, but these are people in the know. They hear alot of stories about who is going where, and I don't think that they ever make a deal to compensate on someone's word.

In baseball we saw that the GM's made their move late, leaving little time for reaction from others. That's why I believe you can't consider these teams that didn't make a move losers, they were just unfortunate. What were the Yankees, or Jays to do in the wake of the Gagne deal. Ya the Jays couldn't pull anything out for themselves, but they barely have a clue how too. But the Yankees have the ability to do something, but didn't, and I am sure that Cashman, and "The Stein" had an inkling of what was going to go down.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Porter99 View Post
    Im sure the Yanks could have taken him .
    I'd rather have Andy Phillips than Richie Sexson.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Kudos to one of the consistently outstanding franchises in MLB... Atlanta! They may just rent Tex for a year or two, but they have the balls to go for the playoffs.

The Orioles and others seem to be stuck in neutral.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    My prediction is that Gagne will do just fine in Boston. He had pitched in big spots for Los Angeles and he was fearless.
    doh!

Gagne asplode.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123