Thread: Are GM's just being lethargic or are they playing chicken?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Are GM's just being lethargic or are they playing chicken?

So far the rumor mill hasn't been as active as usual for this time of the year but we've heard a lot of grumblings from Teixeira to the Braves/Angels, Buehrle to the Brewers and others until he signed that four year extension to the stay in South Side Chicago, and then others like Dunn, Dotel, Gagne, Dye, etc.

We've heard that GM's who are sellers are hoping to cash in like what has became an expected event at the deadline but then GM's looking to buy aren't willing to give up the kind of talent the sellers are seeking making this a buyers market in the end (as some will crack.) So what's the deal this year? Personally, I think if Teixeira goes, this deadline action will start to heat up as prices will be set for talent below his level and if he went to the Braves in the NL East, the Phillies and the Mets will feel obligated to make corresponding moves to nullify the effect of the Braves getting a slugger like that.

Do you guys anticipate it will remain slow or is everyone saying they want to trade, want to improve but no one has the guts to potentially overpay in a big way if no other GM's will follow suit? Or could there be the first proverbial domino to fall (whether it's Tex or not) to get the action going hot and heavy?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Are GM's just being lethargic or are they playing chicken?

The rumor mill wasn't that active last year either. I can't even remember a major deal from last season's deadline, can you? A lot of it has to do with the Wild Card. The Wild Card is good in that more teams have a chance to make the playoffs and teams like the Red Sox, for example, would still be looking for their 1st WS in a very long time. Around this time of the year, however, we see the negative impact of the Wild Card.

With so many teams "still in it", there are less teams that want to sell off their players. Since there are less teams, the supply is less and the demand is more. The teams selling then ask for a lot because they know there aren't many other options out there. Then it falls on the teams looking to acquire players from the seller. They have to decide if they want pay a ransom and most don't want to so nothing happens.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It really wasn't hot with big deals, but I recall more activity and more grumblings (true or not) from last year.

I think another effect is the free agent market. With players like Dunn and Tex being possible 3-month rentals for teams, do they really want to pay the talent they deserve for only three months? And then at the same time, teams at the bottom saw the ludicrous spending and thusly jack up the prices for any affordable contracts they have because they feel that is additional added value.

MLB ERA

Also another aspect is that there arent that many "big name" players on the trading block like in the past, you have always had 1-2 key big name players rumors and being traded in the past, not this year.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    It really wasn't hot with big deals, but I recall more activity and more grumblings (true or not) from last year.

I think another effect is the free agent market. With players like Dunn and Tex being possible 3-month rentals for teams, do they really want to pay the talent they deserve for only three months? And then at the same time, teams at the bottom saw the ludicrous spending and thusly jack up the prices for any affordable contracts they have because they feel that is additional added value.
    I thought that Tex was signed through 2008? Maye I saw wrong.

That would then be a 15-month rental.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

We're both right and wrong in a sense. Teixeira's contract runs out at the end of this season and then he is eligible for arbitration in 2008 before he hits free agency in 2009. So it would be at least a 15 month rental which makes a lot more sense as it wasn't adding up for me for the Braves to be interested in a player with risk like that.

I think Tex played college ball for Georgia Tech so maybe there is more hope from the Braves side to resign someone with Georgia ties.

MLB ERA

True, but I think he has more ties to Baltimore than Georgia which is where he grew up.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Of course, I (and everyone else) just know the Braves love anyone and everyone with some ties to the state of peaches.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

i believe the real reason for less trading, is because teams... their own teams, other teams, etc... are all becoming more and more aware of prospects, and youth, and are probably more hesistant to deal young kids. and with that, letting a free agent walk and getting the first round pick for him, is a much better plan to some teams than trading for 1 or 2 guys who arent really yours... where as with the first round pick youre scouting 12 months out of the year, and will usually come to pick the guy that you want.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

You also have teams like the Yankees, who finally realize it doesn't make sense to throw away all your prospects and don't feel like throwing away the future is enough to garner possibly getting better in the present (i.e. Teixeira's asking price of Hughes and/or Chamberlain)
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Of course, I (and everyone else) just know the Braves love anyone and everyone with some ties to the state of peaches.
    Yeah that certainly makes the temptation even more for Atlanta, but I think in the end they won't pull the trigger unless they can convince Texas to take a lesser deal.