Thread: Larry Doby

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Larry Doby

Ok I'm not quite sure if this belongs here, but it'll have to do since I can't think of any other place to put it.

July 5th came and went and not a thing was done about ballplayer Larry Doby. What was so great about him you ask? He was the second African American to break the color barrier, as a player and as a manager. He was also the first African American player in the American League. His debut came along just 11 weeks after another player by the name of Jackie Robinson made his debut. Larry Doby endured exactly the same ridicule and hate as Jackie Robinson, but with less help and support, and yet that historic day came and went and not a thing was done about it. He was overlooked simply because he was "number two". It was 1997 that broke his heart. While all of baseball was remembering number 42, all he could do was sit at home and watch, being ignored by all of baseball. When he died in 2003, even president Bush said that he should be remembered by baseball as one of the bravest players of all-time. And I agree. Why should he be forgotten just because he was number two? Why? Is it because he was not as good as Jackie? Was he not as good of a player? Was he not as good of a person? Or did Selig just have better things to do than honor such a great man? We may never know, but I'll tell you this. Doby deserves recognition for his accomplishments, not just from the Indians but from all of baseball, and I'll see to it that he gets exactly what he deserves.

Turn 2

Re: Larry Doby

Good point HCG, I saw a documentary on ESPN about him highlighting his career and he did alot for the game as did Jackie Robinson. He however gets overshadowed by Robinson because Robinson was the overall 1st in the majors, but like you said that should not take away from Larry Doby's accomplishments and from what he had to endure in the league as well. He had to endure the same ridicule as Jackie did and he handled it with as much grace and dignity as Jackie did as well. Congrats go out to both Larry Doby and Jackie Robinson for improving this great of baseball.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

larry was the forgotten man unfortunately, but thats what usually happens when you are #2.

I dont think he should have his number retired across baseball. I didnt agree with that when they did it with jackie, i dont like that its been called for in the case of clemente, and I dont think it should be done for larry.

that said, larry absolutely needs to have his number retired by the indians.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I don't think his number should be retired throughout all of baseball either, and I still don't get why Jackie's was, but even still I think baseball should've done something for him.

The Indians have retired his number. In August they will commemorate him and his career by having all the players wear that number 14.