Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S3F High-Heat Matchup: Twins vs Tigers (7/1, ESPN, 8 PM EST)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

S3F High-Heat Matchup: Twins vs Tigers (7/1, ESPN, 8 PM EST)

vs

The Tigers were on the road for the last High-Heat Matchup facing off against the Braves and for this weekend game they return home to Comerica to face division rivals, the Twins, as they continue to battle to maintain first place in the AL East. And yet again, we're blessed to have a potentially great matchup of two young pitchers with Scott Baker (Twins) and Jeremy Bonderman (Tigers) squaring off.

Baker, who was highly touted as a prospect, has struggled both this season and last season with not showing the kind of dominance that many Twins fans had hoped for after his promising rookie debut of roughly 50 innings in 2005 of 3.35 ERA ball. To be fair, his season effort to this point has only consisted of around 40 innings, but he has been hittable (.299 BAA, which is down from last season), the strikeout totals per nine have risen above 7 for the sample size season so far but the walks have also been on the rise as well, and while his homerun proneness has decreased after the ridiculous 17 given up in 83 IP last season it still isn't anything to write home about. The positive in all of this is that his ERA has been on the decline over his past few starts including a great outing against the Blue Jays on the 26th of 7 inning one run ball with only four hits given up and nine punchouts (which obviously helped all of the numbers I previously listed for his season to this date.) Perhaps Baker has found his groove and will start pitching at the higher caliber the Twins need him to pitch at.

Taking the mound for the Tigers is now the young veteran Jeremy Bonderman who is quickly approaching 1000 career innings pitched (its hard to believe he isn't even 25 yet.) Bonderman has been a bit up and down in terms of performance since his return from the disabled list in late May, but on the whole he is pitching about like you would expect him to. At 8-2 with a 3.90 ERA, Bonderman is posting the 8.00+ K/9 that a kid with his kind of stuff seems to be able to post in his sleep and what could be the true sign of his maturation as a pitcher is his improved control with his K/BB improving for this fifth straight year of his career (every year since his rookie year) to 4.10. An 82-20 strikeout to walk line is something I am sure about every GM would love to get from a 24 year old like Bonderman who is making his offseason contract extension look to be a very wise move from Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski.

This should be another good one folks, I hope you guys and gals join in for this one, especially if you have never been on one before as I think the majority of folks will tell you that it is a fun way to kill a Sunday night. The more, the merrier.

If you have predictions, let's hear them.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: S3F High-Heat Matchup: Twins vs Tigers (6/24, ESPN, 8 PM EST)

I predict that the Tigers will win this one...let's say 6 - 2. Yup, sounds good to me. I'll be around to chat tomorrow night during the game.

I'm on the Bonderwagon!

4-1 El Tigres
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

7-2 Twins will win. We have score like 28 runs the last three games. So lay off the drugs and see things clearly. Baker last game was his best game yet.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

yes, because the Twins will continue to score runs at that rate for the rest of the year

Talk about needed to lay off the drugs

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Lets talk about who is owning the Tigers! I know your club is beating up a team in the Yankee's that could not beat the Rockies. So your 7 runs scored against them was NOTHING to be happy about.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

what do the A's and Yankees have to do with this game? nothing. Tigers will avoid the sweep. Detroit is still up by 4 games after the 2 wins by the Twins and they're leading the Wild Card. I think they're in pretty good shape right now.

MLB ERA

I always like a team to win in the last game of the series when they have already lost the first 2 games, unfortunatly I have a baseball game at 6, I wont be able to watch it.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

This game is going to be weird as the Tigers will edge the Twins 15-14 in the 12th inning.

Whats up guys?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Fearless Prediction:

Joe Morgan will be layed out in this thread about 50 times. Anyone have an over/under?

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

tigers will avoid the sweep as they will light up baker
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

The Tigers will prove they need another power bat in their lineup to make this team complete.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

good pitch there
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Its weird how All-Star managers really have little effect on who plays in the game these days. I didn't realize the players picked so many to go. The players select 8 after the fans select their 8.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Color of Money is on at Classic, you know, in case this game is as bad as Morgan's understanding of the game he played all his life.

(Morgan Zing Counter: +1)

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast