Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Bonds Be At The All-Star Game?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Should Bonds Be At The All-Star Game?

Barry Bonds could become the home run king and fail to appear in an All-Star game in his own home park in the same season.

Although he's slowly closing in on Hank Aaron's career record, Bonds dropped into fourth place this week among NL outfielders in voting by fans, who will select the eight starters.

Players will elect eight more position players and eight pitchers for the game on July 10 in San Francisco's AT&T Park. Then St. Louis manager Tony La Russa, in conjunction with the commissioner's office, will select four pitchers and three non-pitchers.

And La Russa isn't saying what he might do if Bonds, a 13-time All-Star, is left out by players and fans.

"I'm not going to get into whether Barry Bonds is in," he said Tuesday. "He might get voted in. I'm not going to get into that."

La Russa helped lead the Cardinals to the World Series title last season, earning the right to manage the All-Star team with their victory in the NLCS.

"I'll get input from our coaches and MLB, whatever," he said. "The more people who are involved, the better chance you don't miss somebody."

In the latest balloting results released Monday, Alfonso Soriano of the Cubs had opened a 42,009-vote lead over Bonds. Mets standout Carlos Beltran led with 1,017,795 votes, followed by Cincinnati's Ken Griffey Jr. with 759,484.

Bonds hit his 747th career home run Monday night, leaving him eight behind Hank Aaron's major league record 755. It was only his second homer since May 8.

"You try to make the best choice you can for the last picks," La Russa said
    The man is going to break the record of all records and this All-Star game is going to be played in the park Barry built. He should without a question be in the game. Griffey is going to be there having the tiniest advantage in stats. If the Giants had to have one All-Star to represent them, I would pick Molina who is having one of the best seasons among NL catchers. But Bonds who is in 4th place deserves to be there. It also might be his last season. Holliday, Brynes and Rowand also deserve to be there.

MLB ERA

Re: Should Bonds Be At The All-Star Game?

Hell yea Bonds deserves to be in the allstar game, if you can ****ing vote Ripken in while hitting a lousy .200 then I dont see what the problem is with Bonds!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83 View Post
    Hell yea Bonds deserves to be in the allstar game, if you can ****ing vote Ripken in while hitting a lousy .200 then I dont see what the problem is with Bonds!
    Good rationale...because Ripken sure deserved to make it that year.

Anyway, I think Bonds makes it based on statistics...to me he's a borderline starter because of all the walks but also because of all the games he hasn't started and he's merely pinch-hit - I think he will be named to the team and it won't have anything to do with legacy or the park where it's played. It will have to do with his contributions to the team which are good enough IMO.

Also, Reefer you chose some good names but don't forget about Soriano and Lee for NL OFs on the team.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I vouch for Andre Ethier to make the All-Star starting lineup.

MLB ERA

with the all star game "mattering," they shouldn't be pulling any strings to get anyone special on the rosters
    nor should they allow fan voting

but since they allow fan voting, hell yeah throw him on the team.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post

Also, Reefer you chose some good names but don't forget about Soriano and Lee for NL OFs on the team.
    Soriano is #3 in votes so that was a given. Lee will most likely be the lone Astro at the game.

MLB ERA

Yes, he should be.

Biggest record, he's playing well, it's tradition.

Turn 2

He should make the team. I really think he has earned it , but to start no way. Players like Matt Holliday, Ken Griffey and IMO Carlos Lee deserve to start.

He shouldn't be a starter and nor does he deserve to be one for this particular year.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Should Bonds Be At The All-Star Game?

NO!! his stats are not deserving this year, plus he will probably want to rest anyways.

He should not start.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bwitty24 View Post
    He shouldn't be a starter and nor does he deserve to be one for this particular year.
    Yea ok, I'm pretty sure you would be saying the same shit about Ripken when he was hitting .200 and got voted in as a starter.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    NO!! his stats are not deserving this year, plus he will probably want to rest anyways.
    .293 avg, 15 hr, 35 rbi, .496 obp, .586 slug
    He leads the NL with 72 BB, .496 OBP, and 1.081 OPS

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Should Bonds Be At The All-Star Game?

ok. let me ask you this, you really want your man risking injury at the All-Star game? More importantly, do you really think Barry wants to be there? I don't?

I just think it is time to let the newer stars shine? But then again, the All-Star game does NOT have the same affect on me as it once did. I watch it, but not the whole game. It is just a showcase.

MLB ERA

He will only get injured if he plays, he's about the break the greatest record in sports, and the allstart game is at his homefield, and this migh be his last year, he can be a reserve off of the bench of if they wanted him to start, he can play 1 inning get 1 AB and thats all.

And for young players, if there were any young players who were having a better season then yes they deserve to be there over Bonds, but young players get left out all the time. So its not a big deal, but I do understand where your comming from though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast