Thread: Girardi to Orioles: No thanks

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Girardi to Orioles: No thanks

BALTIMORE -- Joe Girardi has declined an offer from the Baltimore Orioles to become their next manager, his agent, Steve Mandel, told ESPN on Thursday.

Girardi interviewed with the Orioles on Tuesday, and ESPN's Peter Gammons reported that the team offered him its vacant managerial job. And ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported that as of Wednesday night, the two sides had agreed to work on an agreement that would make Girardi the team's next skipper.

The discussions with Girardi came after Baltimore fired Sam Perlozzo on Monday after two-plus seasons as manager.

Girardi was a first-time manager last season, leading the Florida Marlins to a 78-84 record and keeping his youthful club in contention until late September.

The former big league catcher was fired at the end of the season following a rift with owner Jeffrey Loria and then was voted NL Manager of the Year -- the first to win the award with a losing record.

A former coach for Yankees manager Joe Torre, Girardi returned to New York this season as a broadcaster for the YES Network.

Meanwhile, as first reported on Monday by ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, Andy MacPhail was hired Wednesday as chief operating officer of the Orioles. MacPhail has run both the Cubs and the Twins.

MacPhail and Girardi overlapped in Chicago during MacPhail's tenure as Cubs president, which began in 1994 and ended in 2006. Girardi was with the Cubs for two stints totaling six seasons, the last from 2000-02.
    This doesn't surprise me at all, the Orioles are a wreck right now and Girardi certainly can get a better job this offseason after the work he did with Florida.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Girardi to Orioles: No thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBomberz View Post

If you're a Simpsons fan, you'll probably fit right in here.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Girardi to Orioles: No thanks

ah, I hope the O's fans are ready for Dusty. He could possibly be your next manager.

MacPhail really likes him.

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA

Davey.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...bedard2006.jpg

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Orioles have a good core of young talent. They need to trade Tejeda and get rid of some of those terrible players they signed like Patterson, Millar and just throw Wright in the goddamn trashcan!