Thread: Nats' Watson sets IL record...

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Nats' Watson sets IL record...

Brandon Watson established a new International League record by hitting safely in his 43rd straight game as Columbus fell to Ottawa, 9-8, in 11 innings Sunday.
    "It's unbelievable. I don't have any words for it," the 25-year-old center fielder said. "I believe that I've been fortunate to surpass such a record."

The 25-year-old center fielder flied out in the first inning and lined out in the third before ripping a single in the sixth to break the 95-year-old record set by Rochester's Jack Lelivelt.

"[Ottawa starter J.D. Durbin] threw a slider, and I just stayed on it enough to get it up the middle," Watson explained. "Today was a little tougher because it was the day to break the record."

Watson struck out in his second at-bat in the sixth and again in the eighth before being replaced in the ninth. He is batting .360 (63-for-175) with six doubles, a triple, 19 runs scored and 10 RBIs during the streak that began May 1.

"My dad is a big baseball fan. To do something of this caliber on Father's Day is special," he said.

The streak ties three other players for the seventh-longest in Minor League history. Eddie Marshall hit in 43 consecutive games with Milwaukee in 1935, Howie Bedell matched the mark with Big Spring in 1947 and Orlando Moreno did so with Louisville in 1961. And Watson could only find one other career moment to stand with it.

"[In] my first Major League game, I hit a homer," he said.
    This is too funny to be true.

If he's so good...why couldn't the NATIONALS of all teams find a spot for him?
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Re: Nats' Watson sets IL record...

He's not good.

He's flukin' out hardcore.

MLB ERA

It's like... you know how Alex Sanchez hit .330? It's that.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Nats got this guy back, wow. I think there was one large collective groan when the Reds claimed this kid (at least that's how I think he was acquired)... and I know I shouldn't be surprised that when a former Red (even if he is an ex-National) is put onto the market that Bowden sees it as the most tantalizing possible move he could make at the time, but Watson?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's a fluke? That he's hitting minor league pitching?

Sure he's no major league talent(unless it's as a 5th outfielder), but it's definately not a fluke that he can hit in Triple A.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ha. At another forum, here is one comment from a Reds fan regarding the Reds not keeping one of the wonders of the world, Brandon Watson.

this ignomineous orgainzation withits infinite stupidity released him after one at bat
    I love the internets.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

And then he went hitless the day after. For shame.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.