Thread: The Subway Series and interleague play has lost its luster

AA ERA

The Subway Series and interleague play has lost its luster

I see the NY media is doing their usual gibberish as they are hyping the Subway Series as the event of the year in NY Sports. The Post and the NY Daily News did like 10 pages on the weekend matchups in Thursday's papers and I am sure there will be a lot more this entire weekend. Heck they cover a lot of it this entire week. I guess the media and Mets fans are the only one who seem excited about the Subway Series because I have sense a lack of enthauism on the Subway Series from players to Yankee fans to sports radio.

The Subway Series hasn't been much appealing in the last few years. I think ever since the World Series between the Mets and Yankees in 2000, the matchups has never been the same. Mets became really bad since then and the Yankees normally dominated them. It wasn't even close. Yeah the Mets swept the Yankees, but I doubt the Yankees took them seriously then. Let's face it. The Yankees don't even take the Mets seriously. They view them as irrelevant. Just ask the players. These guys view the Mets as an exhibition game and nothing more. I agree with them. The Subway Series means nothing just like how these crosstown series in other cities means nothing other than for fans who need to have their self-esteem. These players don't get caught up with that stuff and rightfully so. It does not mean much in the standings. The only reason both teams even agree on crosstown rivalry is because they want to make money out of suckers err fans.

This bring me to the next point which is interleague play. Has anyone had enough with interleague play? I sure had enough of interleague play. It was great when it first started, but the novelty has worn out. It was great seeing different NL team and different AL/NL matchups, but now it just have zero meaning. I really hope MLB end this farce next year and get back to what it was with no interleague play. I like to see more matchups with AL East vs. AL West or NL East vs. NL West.

I just think the interleague play and the crosstown series has ran its course especially the Subway Series.

AAA ERA
    I think there is some genuine excitement around this year's Subway Series. I think it got boring after the WS b/c nothing can live up to a WS meeting and b/c the Mets became bad quickly but the Mets are an exciting team and the yanks find themselves battling in the reg season for the first time in 10 years so I think ther is real excitement about this one plus the Mets have Willie, pedro and beltran wanted to become a Yankee. it should be alot moe orinteresting than the past 4 years.

AA ERA
    What genuine excitement? I haven't heard much buzz on sports radio at all or in the city yesterday. The Mets are a mediocre club at best. Nothing to write home about even though I think Willie has done a great job getting his team prepared to play every game. The papers will always hype up this Subway Series, but it means nothing because NY papers hype everything up. You got Jeter and Posada going out of their way saying that the Subway Series should end. Read this article from today's Newsday:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...-yankees-print

It was a good novelty for the first three years, but I think that become as expired like a milk from a refrigrator. Maybe this year or next year will be different, but I just think it has lost its meaning.

The only way the Subway Series or any crosstown series in this country will have any meaning is when baseball abolishes the AL and NL altogether and just create a division via region like Atlantic, Midwest, and Pacific. You can have both teams in the same city in one division and then it would have meaning.

MLB ERA
    To me, interleague play is just another game. Whatever. Nobody outside of the NY/NJ metro area gives a shit about the Subway series, BTW.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    Nobody outside of the NY/NJ metro area gives a shit about the Subway series, BTW.
    Where the hell did I even said that people outside of NY/NJ metro area gives a crap about the Subway Series? If you were smart enough to read this thread throughly, you would realize that the Subway Series has lost its appeal in NYC. That was point of what I was trying to make in this thread. Also people in New Jersey don't even follow major league baseball.

MLB ERA
    You felt that way enough to start it's own thread on the main MLB board..

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    You felt that way enough to start it's own thread on the main MLB board..
    Again if you reread this thread, I mentioned that the Subway Seriers lost its appeal in NYC. I never mentioned anything about how the Subway Series having an appeal nationally. That's why nyjunc decided to respond as he disagree with me about how the Subway Series lost its appeal in New York City.

Just because I post in the main baseball thread does not exactly mean that I am talking about the Subway Series nationally.

Dude, I went to the LAST Subway Series...Shea was half empty. Today, Shea looked 3/4 empty. Agreed, Steak.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    What genuine excitement? I haven't heard much buzz on sports radio at all or in the city yesterday. The Mets are a mediocre club at best. Nothing to write home about even though I think Willie has done a great job getting his team prepared to play every game. The papers will always hype up this Subway Series, but it means nothing because NY papers hype everything up. You got Jeter and Posada going out of their way saying that the Subway Series should end. Read this article from today's Newsday:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...-yankees-print

It was a good novelty for the first three years, but I think that become as expired like a milk from a refrigrator. Maybe this year or next year will be different, but I just think it has lost its meaning.

The only way the Subway Series or any crosstown series in this country will have any meaning is when baseball abolishes the AL and NL altogether and just create a division via region like Atlantic, Midwest, and Pacific. You can have both teams in the same city in one division and then it would have meaning.
    That article tells me nothing, it hasn't been big for the yanks since probably the first one. They always have mroe to lsoe than the Mets so they hate it. I never siad it was as big as it was in the late 90s BUT there is definitely more of buzz this year than the last 3 b/c the Mets are better, the Yanks are coming on, the Mets have Willie,... It's never going to be as big as it first was(unless we meet again in another WS) but it's always going to be something people care about around here. If not then why are all the games sold out?

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    That article tells me nothing, it hasn't been big for the yanks since probably the first one. They always have mroe to lsoe than the Mets so they hate it. I never siad it was as big as it was in the late 90s BUT there is definitely more of buzz this year than the last 3 b/c the Mets are better, the Yanks are coming on, the Mets have Willie,... It's never going to be as big as it first was(unless we meet again in another WS) but it's always going to be something people care about around here. If not then why are all the games sold out?
    You basically proved my point. It hasn't been big for the Yankees hence why the lack of buzz. I would like to think a crosstown series means a lot to both teams not one team. That's why I think it's time to end this gimmick call Subway Series and interleague play. It's six exhibition games. It means nothing in the standings. What buzz? I haven't heard any hype on sports radio and in the city all week. Just because the NY papers cover like 11 pages of it does not mean there is a buzz. The papers got nothing better to do considering the NBA Playoffs stunk and the fact the Knicks did not make the playoffs this year hence why the 11 pages of coverage. Generalissmo pointed out the empty seats at Shea Stadium last night. That's all that needs to be said.

Mets are better? They are an average .500 team at best. You think Florida and Atlanta wake up at night worrying about the Mets? They don't. Now if the Mets beat those two teams next week, then yeah your point makes sense.

Just because games sold out means nothing. Shea sounded like a morgue last night in what was a very boring game last night.

Also Yankees fans view the Mets as irrleveant. You did not see them go up in arms last year after the Mets had that fluke sweep of the Yankees, did you. Yankees fans don't get up for the Mets like Mets fans get up for the Yankees. They get up for the Red Sox and that's basically it. Most Yankees fans I know don't even get up for the Subway Series hence why I wrote this thread.

I like to think I am off-base with how the NY sports market works, but I am pretty sure that there is no buzz no matter what sports radio or the papers tell you.

Went to today's game...I guess people come out to see RJ, Shea was almost full.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

ERA
    Call NASA
    You may want to alert the authorities, the IRS, MLB, and whoever else is involved. But the first two games of this series where total sell outs.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    Dude, I went to the LAST Subway Series...Shea was half empty. Today, Shea looked 3/4 empty. Agreed, Steak.
    What are you talking about? they are all sellouts, it was empty by the end of the game b/c it was over before the 9th.

You basically proved my point. It hasn't been big for the Yankees hence why the lack of buzz. I would like to think a crosstown series means a lot to both teams not one team.
    I'ts big for the fans though.

It means nothing in the standings. What buzz? I haven't heard any hype on sports radio and in the city all week.
    I'm not sure what station you are listening to but it has been hyped all week.

Mets are better? They are an average .500 team at best. You think Florida and Atlanta wake up at night worrying about the Mets? They don't. Now if the Mets beat those two teams next week, then yeah your point makes sense.
    They are competitive, they aren't winning the NL East but they are competitive and have some exciting players.

Also Yankees fans view the Mets as irrleveant. You did not see them go up in arms last year after the Mets had that fluke sweep of the Yankees, did you. Yankees fans don't get up for the Mets like Mets fans get up for the Yankees. They get up for the Red Sox and that's basically it. Most Yankees fans I know don't even get up for the Subway Series hence why I wrote this thread.
    I know i'm surrounded by jealous Met fans so I get into it, I like to beat them. If we lose it's not the end of the World but winning adds to their misery and it's fun.