Thread: Article: Zito to Boston?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Red Sox Article: Zito to Boston?

A better and more realistic option for Boston might be Oakland's Barry Zito. If the A's don't sustain this momentary rebound from a 14-24 start, it's a given Zito will be available this summer in what shapes up as a big seller's market for starting pitching.

"We need a lefty to change up the other team's lineup and throw things out of whack every now and then," Johnny Damon acknowledged.

Damon and the Red Sox still hope that lefty will be Wells, but some serious doubt was cast after Wednesday: 1 innings, nine hits and seven earned runs against an Oakland team that hadn't scored more than nine runs in a game this year.

Hence, don't be surprised if things continue to sour for Boston's pitching that Theo Epstein keeps Billy Beane high on his speed-dial list ... and vice versa.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_2745364

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Ugh I dunno. I don't think we traded away both Mulder AND Hudson just to trade away Zito later. I'll be very surprised if this happens

As will I. The Sox don't have much to give in young talent, and if Mulder (who stunk at the end of last year) got Barton/Calero/Haren, the Sox can't give that without killing the farm, which Theo has tried to build.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Zito is not going ANYWHERE!

I am a Yankee fan first and just about everything else 2nd.

I get annoyed by the rumor mill or speculation that anytime big market team such as NY or Boston need something to complete their All Star team...that the small market teams will roll over. At times it is in their best interest if they get plenty of good prospects and young talnet but Boston doesn't have the ammo for Zito. Why would they want him with his slow start.

Even with his slow start, as stated, Oakland did not trade Hudson and Mulder to also later trade Zito, IMO. I certainly did not hear Barry Zito say that he longs to pitch full time in Fenway Park.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Granted he rarely gets run support, so I... would force myself to like the idea of him being ...a Red Sock.