Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 MLB Draft Day One Discussion (ESPN 2, 2 PM EST to 6 PM EST)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

2007 MLB Draft Day One Discussion (ESPN 2, 2 PM EST to 6 PM EST)

I am hoping to be on tomorrow for the draft, or at least a large chunk of it. If you have useful links, feel free to share them (and feel free to edit this post and the following post redsr and fish.)

If we're lucky, we can have a good group on tomorrow to discuss the first ever televised MLB draft.

Links on S3F
    redsr's Draft Predictions Article
    David Price Bet Event
    S3F Vegas Event

#FranchisePlayer Selected
    1.Tampa Bay Devil RaysLHP David Price (Vanderbilt)
    2.Kansas City Royals3B Michael Moustakas (High School)
    3.Chicago Cubs3B Josh Vitters (High School)
    4.Pittsburgh PiratesLHP Daniel Moskos (Clemson)
    5.Baltimore OriolesC Matt Wieters (Georgia Tech)
    6.Washington NationalsLHP Ross Detwiler (Missouri State)
    7.Milwaukee Brewers1B Matt LaPorta (Florida)
    8.Colorado RockiesRHP Casey Weathers (Vanderbilt)
    9.Arizona DiamondbacksRHP Jarrod Parker (High School)
    10.San Francisco GiantsLHP Madison Bumgarner (High School)
    11.Seattle MarinersRHP Phillipe Aumont (Ecole Du Versant)
    12.Florida Marlins3B Matthew Dominguez (High School)
    13.Cleveland Indians3B/1B Beau Mills (Lewis-Clark State)
    14.Atlanta BravesOF Jayson Heyward (High School)
    15.Cincinnati RedsC Devin Mesoraco (High School)
    16.Toronto Blue JaysSS Kevin Aherns (High School)
    17.Texas RangersRHP Blake Beaven (High School)
    18.St. Louis CardinalsSS Peter Kozma (High School)
    19.Philadelphia PhilliesLHP/1B Joe Savery (Rice)
    20.Los Angeles DodgersRHP Chris Withrow (High School)
    21.Toronto Blue JaysC JP Arencibia (Tennessee)
    22.San Francisco GiantsRHP Tim Alderson (High School)
    23.San Diego PadresLHP Nicholas Schmidt (Arkansas)
    24.Texas RangersRHP/OF Michael Main (High School)
    25.Chicago White SoxLHP Aaron Poreda (San Francisco)
    26.Oakland AthleticsRHP James Simmons (UC Riverside)
    27.Detroit TigersRHP Rick Porcello (High School)
    28.Minnesota TwinsLf Ben Revere (High School)
    29.San Francisco GiantsCF Wendell Fairley (High School)
    30.New York YankeesRHP Andrew Brackman (North Carolina State)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: 2007 MLB Draft Day One Discussion (ESPN 2, 2 PM EST to 6 PM EST)

Outside Links
    MLB.com Draft Tracker

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

information on ESPN2 and mlb.com's televised schedule:

The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Major League Baseball News

MLB.com continues to be the first place for fans to go for live multimedia coverage of the First-Year Player Draft. But a new era in Draft coverage will be ushered in on Thursday.

The Draft joins the television age when ESPN2 airs the first round for the first time today. The network's coverage will span four hours from The Milk House at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla. So you won't miss a pick online, MLB.com will simulcast ESPN2's coverage.
    That, of course, is just the beginning of the Draft coverage, and MLB.com will cover every pick of the two-day event. There will be live multimedia coverage on both days -- in Orlando and MLB.com's New York studios -- on BaseballChannel.TV. In addition, fans can get live interactive pick-by-pick results via the exclusive Draft Tracker. With reporting on all 30 teams, plus national stories and analysis, MLB.com is still the one-stop shopping site for all your Draft needs.
    ESPN2 and MLB.com's coverage kicks it all off at 2 p.m. ET and will air each club's first-round choice, with a maximum of five minutes between selections. The broadcasts will continue as the Draft is ongoing until 6 p.m. Each Major League organization is sending representatives to make the selection official on the broadcast. Hall of Famers Robin Roberts (Philadelphia Phillies), Tommy Lasorda (Los Angeles Dodgers) and Dave Winfield (San Diego Padres) are among the big names who will be in Orlando today.
    "Major League Baseball is delighted that ESPN2 will provide live coverage of our Draft," said Commissioner Bud Selig. "I am glad that this agreement will give fans access to see this critical function of an organization's development. This is an idea whose time has come."
    Once ESPN2's coverage ends, MLB.com takes over. At 6:15 p.m., BaseballChannel.TV will have every pick of rounds No. 2-5 and beyond if Major League Baseball goes past five rounds on the first day. No round will begin past 8:30 p.m. ET, and BaseballChannel.TV's coverage will end with the conclusion of the first day. Casey Stern hosts the action with analysts Jonathan Mayo from MLB.com and David Rawnsley from Perfect Game USA. As always, every pick of every round can be heard live exclusively on MLB.com

Day 2 coverage starts up at 11:30 a.m. from New York. Mayo and Perfect Game USA's Allan Simpson will be providing regular updates throughout the day during BaseballChannel.TV's regular programming. In addition, Mayo, Simpson and Seth Everett will do a one-hour show from 2-3 p.m. At 6 p.m., Vinny Micucci will host a one-hour show, again with Mayo and Simpson providing in-depth analysis. While waiting for the big day, do your homework and check out the 2007 Draft section. From a breakdown of Draft prospects by position to a first-person journal from the presumed No. 1 pick to a number of features on first-round possibles to previews on all 30 teams' Draft philosophies, there's
    everything you'll need to be ready for when the first pick is announced on Thursday.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

This is going to be a huge day for some teams. Others, eh, not so good. I am interested to see how it all unfolds. All you S3F gamblers out there, check out Fisher's new odds.

http://www.strike3forums.com/forums/...ft-thread.html

Anyone who sees any rumors floating around about where teams are leaning, feel free to post them. Lets have a good turn out and enjoy this new ability to view this year's draft!

Reds, go get Porcello!

I edited in the David Price event as well.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Keith Law's latest:
    Code:
    1. Devil Rays David Price LHP Vanderbilt 
    This one's in the bag. There's no deal done but the parameters discussed will work for both sides. 

2. Royals Josh Vitters 3B Cypress (Calif.) HS 
    The Royals seem to have switched focus in the last few days; it's looking very likely that they'll take a high school player, and they still haven't ruled out taking a Boras client. The Royals say that they haven't made a final decision yet, but there's a strong sentiment that they've settled or are close to settling on Vitters and will move him to first base. 

3. Cubs Matt Dominguez 3B Chatsworth (Calif.) HS 
    The Cubs were hoping for Vitters, but he may be gone. They would love to take Wieters, but they can't spend that kind of coin. Tim Wilken typically likes to take top-flight high school hitters in the first round, and Dominguez would be the best one on the board. The Cubs also have serious interest in Jarrod Parker, but they're leaning towards taking a position player. 

4. Pirates Ross Detwiler LHP Missouri State 
    The Pirates were really hoping for Vitters, but Detwiler has been a target for them for weeks. They flew Dominguez in for a workout earlier this week. Pittsburgh could also cut a deal and sign catcher Devin Mesoraco at a discount. 

5. Orioles Phillippe Aumont RHP Ecole secondaire du Versant, Gatineau, Quebec 
    Baltimore's choice is down to Aumont and a college player, assumed to be Wieters. However, ownership has hinted that they may mandate the selection of a college pitcher -- just as they did the year the O's took Wade Townsend and lowballed him. If Detwiler is gone, their options will be limited. 

6. Nationals Mike Moustakas SS Chatsworth (Calif.) HS 
    Most folks I've talked to have this pick as more or less of a lock. Here's my question: If Washington believes that Rick Porcello is the best player in the draft (as I've been told), but that they can't sign him, why would they take Moustakas when his price tag is the same as Porcello's? They're also interested in Daniel Moskos, who would make more sense if they don't want to go way over slot. 

7. Brewers Matt Wieters C/RHP Georgia Tech 
    This isn't a lock, but Milwaukee likes Wieters and needs a catching prospect, anyway. Their top alternatives are Dominguez and Moustakas. Milwaukee's worst-case scenario has Wieters, Dominguez, and Moustakas all gone, in which case they'd look at a deal with Devin Mesoraco. 

8. Rockies Jason Heyward CF Henry County HS, McDonough, Ga. 
    Colorado flew Aumont in for a workout and he threw well, but even if Aumont gets here, they're more likely to go with Heyward or Moskos. 

9. Diamondbacks Daniel Moskos LHP Clemson 
    Moskos is atop Arizona's realistic list for this pick, just ahead of Jarrod Parker and a bit more ahead of Nick Schmidt. Arizona would put Moskos in the bullpen and move him through their system quickly; a lot of teams are concerned that even though Moskos has three and possibly four average pitches, his physique isn't suited for starting. 

10. Giants Jarrod Parker RHP Norwell HS, Ossian, Ind. 
    Expect San Francisco to take a premium arm here, especially since most of them will still be on the board for this pick. Parker is the best non-Boras prep arm in the draft and has a case to be the best overall. 

11. Mariners Nick Schmidt LHP Arkansas 
    Seattle is looking at Schmidt and closer Casey Weathers; either way, their plan is to rush the player to the big leagues, possibly as soon as Labor Day. 

12. Marlins Madison Bumgarner LHP South Caldwell HS, Hudson, N.C. 
    Bumgarner is one of the hot names of the moment, sitting at or near the top of the boards for Florida, Cleveland and Atlanta. Florida would love it if Aumont reached them, and they also like Parker. 

13. Indians Blake Beavan RHP Irving (Texas) HS 
    Cleveland is also keeping its options open, with Bumgarner and Beavan high on their lists, as well as Moskos and Beau Mills. 

14. Braves Josh Smoker LHP Calhoun (Ga.) HS 
    Atlanta would prefer to get Bumgarner here, but I don't see that happening. Smoker's reduced velocity in his last two starts has scared away a number of teams. 

15. Reds Casey Weathers RHP Vanderbilt 
    The Reds may have to go with a college pitcher here; they like Moskos and Schmidt, but both will be gone as will Beavan. They also like Julio Borbon here. 

16. Blue Jays Beau Mills 3B/1B Lewis-Clark State 
    The Jays are looking above them and noticing that someone's likely to fall; if the Reds go with Borbon, the Jays could take Weathers here instead. 

17. Rangers Tim Alderson RHP Horizon HS, Scottsdale, Ariz. 
    Texas would love to get Beavan here, and they might go with another high school arm instead, such as Alderson. I've heard Chris Withrow linked to them, but that's probably for the sandwich round. 

18. Cardinals Matt Harvey RHP Fitch HS, Groton, Conn. 
    Harvey's price tag, while above slot, isn't in the stratosphere like Porcello's is. Expect St. Louis to take a high school player or a high-risk/high-reward college guy in the first, then to draft more conservatively after that. 

19. Phillies Michael Burgess RHP/RF Hillsborough HS, Tampa, Fla. 
    No big changes here. Top alternative is Mesoraco. They would consider Mills and make him a left fielder. 

20. Dodgers Travis Mattair OF Southridge HS, Kennewick, Wash. 
    The Dodgers have been in on a number of top high school players, including Mesoraco, Bumgarner, Beavan and Derek Norris, but Mattair appears to have moved up their lists, especially after having a very strong workout at their stadium over the weekend. 

21. Blue Jays Peter Kozma SS Owasso (Okla.) HS 
    The Blue Jays appear to be focused on acquiring a shortstop with one of their top three picks, and Kozma has moved ahead of Nick Noonan on their board. 

22. Giants Aaron Poreda LHP San Francisco 
    Poreda has been tied to the Giants for a long time just because he pitches in their backyard, but they legitimately like the tall left-hander, who is near the top of the college board in velocity. 

23. Padres James Simmons RHP UC Riverside 
    The Pads are on a small set of college arms here. Poreda may be their top guy, but he's probably gone. James Adkins is also a possibility. 

24. Rangers Julio Borbon CF Tennessee 
    Texas could take Borbon at 17, but it's not likely he'll go between their picks, so look for them to play the board a little bit and try to nab him here. I've heard they're on Withrow -- a Texas high school pitcher -- but that's probably not until the sandwich round. 

25. White Sox Nick Noonan SS Parker HS, San Diego 
    The White Sox are looking to emphasize up-the-middle players and arms. Alderson is a top choice, but he doesn't seem likely to get here. 

26. Athletics James Adkins LHP Tennessee 
    The surprise here is that they're considering Joe Savery, a starting pitcher from Rice who's already had one shoulder operation and who, like other Rice pitchers, has been worked very hard when he wasn't hurt. 

27. Tigers Andrew Brackman RHP North Carolina State 
    Detroit hasn't shied away from big-ticket players in recent years, going over slot in three of the last four first rounds -- and they also have a working relationship with Boras. They haven't gone in heavy for high school arms, so while they might consider Porcello, Brackman's a little more likely. 

28. Twins Drew Cumberland SS Pace HS, Milton, Fla. 
    Minnesota is on several raw high school players, but Cumberland appears to be gaining favor because he's not as raw as Will Middlebrooks or John Gilmore. Cumberland is a plus runner who has had a hamstring problem for most of the last month. 

29. Giants Wendell Fairley OF/RHP George County HS, Lucedale, Miss. 
    Fairley also played in the All-American game; he has a great, easy swing, and should hit for big power. This is a top-half of the first round talent falling because of some makeup concerns, but it's a potential steal for whoever takes him low. 

30. Yankees Rick Porcello RHP Seton Hall Prep, West Orange, N.J. 
    I think the Yankees are just waiting to see who falls to them, and if it's a Boras client and they have to pay over slot, so be it. If they don't take Porcello or Brackman, they might look at college catching.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Porcello to the Yankees at 30 would be a mini-steal, talent wise of course.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Law also has the Tribe taking Blake Beavan who I would love for the Reds to snag. Sure he's a high school pitcher but his makeup and ace potential is all threre.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Doesn't Baumgarner want like 2.5 mill?

Too much for the Marlins, for sure.

MLB ERA

I don't know much about the drafts but since it's televised I will be looking to see who Atlanta picks. I don't see a lot of the young talent until they reach the big leagues, for example McCann and Francoeur. I didn't even know who they were until there debuts.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yes Gillette, I love technology in my deodorant, especially when it frightens the ladies who walks past it. That's just a bit weird.

Here's Selig, scatter applause to start that then picks up (with maybe one or two guys booing).

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I will be sick if the Reds select junk like Borbon, Aherns, etc like they have been rumored to be interested in. They just aren't 15th pick talent.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DravenX View Post
    I don't know much about the drafts but since it's televised I will be looking to see who Atlanta picks. I don't see a lot of the young talent until they reach the big leagues, for example McCann and Francoeur. I didn't even know who they were until there debuts.
    What about Salty? You didn't look into him with all the prospect experts sucking him off?

MLB ERA

I heard of him because of General. I didn't know about Salty until I came to this site.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    I will be sick if the Reds select junk like Borbon, Aherns, etc like they have been rumored to be interested in. They just aren't 15th pick talent.

I agree. While I dont feel Ahrens is junk, he can be taken with the sandwich pick.

Here we go guys!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast