Thread: 4-for-4: Earning Pinstripes

MLB ERA

4-for-4: Earning Pinstripes

1. Are the Yankees back, or are they just beating up on the AL West's weakest teams?

Sometimes it takes series against weak teams to get back to winning ways, and the New York Yankees have definitely done that by producing a nine-game win streak against Oakland and Seattle.

The schedule still favors the Yankees – they have two more games in Seattle and then return to New York for three-game sets against the Mets at Shea Stadium and Detroit at home. So they should remain hot and continue to win. But the true test will be Memorial Day weekend when they face Boston again at Yankee Stadium. We'll see how the Yankees' pitching holds up – because that's where it all starts for them.

The Yankees just got back to .500 and that's always the first sign for a team on the rise. Once you get to .500, you can make a move. But I'm not ready to declare that the Yankees are back. They're in striking distance of AL East-leading Baltimore, but they're not back to being their old selves. They're still five games out of first place.

2. Why isn't Lee Mazzilli getting credit for the Orioles' surprising start?

I haven't heard his name once, and I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned. Someone has to take credit for the Baltimore Orioles' pitching and the way it has been effective. And that someone should be Mazzilli.

Ozzie Guillen came out publicly that he was going to change the attitude of the White Sox, and that has definitely gotten some play during their fast start. What's going on in Baltimore, especially with the surprising pitching, is a reflection of the manager. Mazzilli had the offense. But when it comes to handling pitchers and making sure the right guys are in the game in the right spots, that's the manager and pitching coach. So let's give Lee Mazzilli and pitching coach Ray Miller some credit.

What's interesting about the Orioles and White Sox is that they are very comparable yet are very different in aspects of the game. Chicago is strong in pitching and Baltimore is strong in hitting. They're evenly matched clubs and their splitting of a four-game series last weekend makes a potential postseason encounter that much more interesting.

3. Is Manny Ramirez a Hall of Famer?

I think the Boston Red Sox outfielder has taken advantage of Fenway Park. He's very comfortable there hitting balls off the Green Monster, and he's been very constant in what he contributes year in and year out with his run production.

At this point of his career, Ramirez reminds me of Jim Rice and Andre Dawson. Both of them hit over 400 home runs in their careers, but they're not in the Hall of Fame yet. Ramirez could have six or seven years left and wind up with 500-plus home runs. At that point, you could talk about Manny as a Hall of Famer. But not now.

Five hundred career home runs used to be the magic number to get into the Hall. Rafael Palmeiro and Sammy Sosa reached the 500-home plateau the past couple of seasons. They'll test whether 500 homers is still a first-ballot lock due to baseball's explosion of home runs from all different factors – first and foremost the steroid issue.

4. Will we see Jeff Bagwell playing in the majors again?

It's always tougher to come back from an injury later in your career. Bagwell, being 36 years old, will have a difficult time coming back from arthroscopic surgery on his aching right shoulder. But the Houston Astros first baseman has a tremendous work ethic and has always enjoyed lifting weights. I don't think he would want to retire before his buddy Craig Biggio quits, too.

The shoulder was a constant pain; that's why Bagwell opted for surgery. The biggest thing will be to see how well he can throw after surgery. If he's pain-free, we'll probably see him on the field again. If he isn't, then he should retire with Biggio as a package deal.

THE FINAL THOUGHT

The interest in the Phoenix Suns is back in full force in the Valley of the Sun, and the team has really had quite a following throughout the league this season because of the way they play. Since Steve Nash has been named MVP, it seems like he has raised his game even more in the NBA playoffs. It appears as if he feels he has to play like an MVP. Because of Nash, I'm predicting the Suns will win the next two games and beat Dallas 4-2 to advance to the Western Conference finals. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA
    A five game lead is a pretty good chunk for the Yankees to make up, even this early in the year. It's still way too early to bury the Yankees, or to send them to the World Series. Look at each Yankee, and ask if he's playing to his talent. Some are, and that might not be very good anymore.

Brian Roberts, Miguel Tejada, and Ray Miller should probably get more credit than Lee Mazzilli.

500 homeruns has never been a magic number. There are more than 17 position players in the Hall of Fame, with Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and Rafael Palmeiro raising it to 20. Manny Ramirez is significantly better than Jim Rice and Andre Dawson, and it's not close. He destroyed the ball in Cleveland, and should easily make the Hall.

Bagwell will retire.

AAA ERA
    Yes we are back, not all the way back in the standings but playing well again and the favorite to win the division. Sure Oak and Seattle aren't great but let's remember that a few weeks ago we lost 3 of 4 to Tampa Bay, the quality of the teams is irrelevant, to win 10 straight against anyone is impressive and let's niot forget that Seattle after losing 3 straight to us last week took 2 of 3 from Boston and then after we swept Oakland they just beat Boston the other night. We are playing(and most importantly pitching) very well and we are back.

nyjunc did said that Lee has gotten credit for the team's success He also said the Orioles's lineup is probably why Lee has not gotten much attention.

nyjunc did said that Manny should be a HOF for what he did for the Indians. He mentiond how the numbers speak for itself.

nyjunc mentioned that Jeff should be playing in the majors.

This is Steak. I just want to apologize for editing. I meant to quote him and respond, but I acidently hit the edit button. I feel so awful for what I did. It was a honest mistake, but with that said, I deserve to be criticized. I feel awful for what I just did.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckFoston
    If he isn't, then he should retire with Biggio as a package deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

I know that you just posted this for shock value but what an totally absurd statement.

I do believe that Bagwell's doctors will find nothing that can be repaired in his surgery and he will retire, His father and grandfather have suffered from arthritis and the last time he was scoped, they suggested shoulder replacement.

Why must Craig Biggio retire with him?

Biggio is currently third in slugging percentage amongst all 2nd basemen and is currently 6th in BA (players with at least 100 AB).