Thread: Jackie Robinson overrated

ERA
    Call NASA

Yankees Jackie Robinson overrated

Robinson only played 10 seasons. He had 1518 hits, 137 home runs and 734 RBIs. These are the stats of a mediocre baseball player.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/robinja02.shtml

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Jackie Robinson overrated

But he did steal home 19 times. You're a moron for making that statement!

Los Angelos Dodgers GM
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
    Robinson only played 10 seasons. He had 1518 hits, 137 home runs and 734 RBIs. These are the stats of a mediocre baseball player.

They would be nowadays, but back then they are good. Look at his OPS+. It is very good, with a career of 132. 100 OPS+ is average. That means that Jackie Robinson was much better than average for his time.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Jackie Robinson overrated

Are you serious about Jackie Robinson being over-rated. Are you crazy. Could you af stood the enormous stress of playing in his shoes at the time he was playing. I know that I would have quit on several occasions. He had his life threatened and he culd go in the same bathrooms, use the same drinking fountains, go to the same restaruants, etc. The discrimination that he felt every moment of every day. Please, Please tell me you honestly don't think that had any bearing to his play. If his race/color didn't have any impact on his daily play, his stats would have been even better. When you live each day under that much stress, pressure, and even fear, it takes a mighty, mighty toll on your emotional well-being. When you are emotionally fatigued you do not function the way your body normally does. I admire what Jackie Robinson stood for and having the courage to put up with all the threats and stress, whatever you want to call it, on a daily basis. That is the definition of a true man, leader, and saint.

And I am not even an African-American, I am a white man, and can't even begin to imagine what his life was before MLB decided to allow him to play, during his play, and after he retired. I firmly believe that he is resting with God above watching the game he loved peacefully!

Good Joke. Now I don't think anyone is going to argue that he is the best player ever, but to do what he did when he did is extraordinary.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Jackie Robinson has won a World Series, and thus is WIN METHOD certified.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    Nicely done.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

OK, I think Mr. Colyer is just trying to be a funny guy and stir up some controversy here.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    Sweet.

Hey Colyer go to the Hall of Fame and read the letters that detail exactly what this man had to endure. Hell it's probably online if you "google it". As far as everybody wearing #42 it's the typical corporate overreaction (for all those kiddies in college) as well as the "let me feel better about myself" that's mainstream in today's politically correct society. It's on a par with "but I have plenty of black friends" bullchiat.

IMO Jackie Robinson is up there with George Patton as far as real American Icons.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post

He wasnt known to be a superstar player stats wise. But how bout you be a young black man that crossed over to the ML and had to deal with death threats every single day. Having to eat in diffrerent venues that wasn't as good because of the segreated times. After let me know if you can repeat anything what he did for his 10 seasons. I can't believe we are even discussing this at all. HIS CAREER WASN'T ABOUT THE M****ERF'N STATS. I don't wish that type of stress on anyone. Thats why people look up to him all the damn time and is very well respected.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

.311 Career AVG and a .409 OBP is pretty impressive if you ask me.

Also, nice post on the WIN METHOD DK. Where is Joek when you need him the most?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Is there ever a time we need him the most?
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.