Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a win method?

AA ERA

What is a win method?

Alright, ladies and gentlemen. Let's use our thinking caps here. Describe what the win method is in your mind. It's been ingrained in our minds by our esteemed poster, joek. When I think of win method, I think of guys that have the personality, charisma, and the intangibles to lead and win. I think that's what joek is trying to mean anyway.

MLB ERA
    A method by which we are annoyed.

Win Method Means I Am The ***** Of The Yankees.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Rookie ERA
    win method - a phrase some guy, somewhere, pulled out of his ass in order to use on an internet message board about baseball for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of non-Yankee fans; no real meaning

And Yankee fans. I hate WIN METHOD.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    I really dont know what is it means but I'll give it a shot

A team that sukced last year(for instance my D-Backs 111 losses) and really wants to show the fans they can win do better. Or a team like the Yanks, that cant afford to loose

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    An extremrly flawed system of evaluating talent.

AAA ERA
    I implore JOEK to give us a full explanation of the win method. (sans bells & whistles) It could be like an article for Baseball Digest. Lets see it, Joek!

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmark6
    I implore JOEK to give us a full explanation of the win method. (sans bells & whistles) It could be like an article for Baseball Digest. Lets see it, Joek!

yea i would love to see it

ERA
    Call NASA

Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Hmark6
    Within the limits of my contract with Mr.S., there is only so much information that con be given without me violating the deal. I wrote the following last year and have been using it in email inquiries, pm inquiries and such.

To discuss the WIN METHOD you must put aside your previous beliefs about what determines the qualities of a ‘best player’. The Win METHOD is used by only one team in baseball. The WIN METHOD is designed to select players who meet the qualifications of the WIN METHOD and the needs at any given time of the team. The purpose of the WIN METHOD is to find players who MUST want to play for the team. They MUST want to win the World Series. And they MUST put individual achievements as secondary goals. The one on one interview process asks many questions, the answers given may then bring forth other questions. The WIN METHOD more than anything is interested in getting into the psyche of the player. I have interviewed players and they don’t even know why they are being interviewed. These interviews have consistently gotten the best results. It is similar to you being interviewed for a job, only you do not know it. We interview soon to be free agents, sometimes as far as a year or more ahead of their free agency. College prospects are interviewed, prospective minor leaguers, and players in different countries. The inroads made in Japan in the past two months will reap benefits for a long time.

Gettig to the nitty gritty. The WIN METHOD nor I make any deals or trades or any signings. The WIN METHOD is an evaluation tool as to whether or not a player will help the team succeed. NOT INDIVIDUAL SUCCESS BUT TEAM SUCCESS. Not every player signed has been a WIN METHOD selection. As you gentleman feel, there are people with the YANKEES who feel the same. Stats, stats, stats. I have gotten many reasons why a player do not want to be a YANKEE. My question right after that gets some fantastic responses. The question I ask is “Tell me why you don’t want to win and be the best.”
    Think of the WIN METHOD as a scout giving a report on the players he is scouting.

The entire idea of believing in the WIN METHOD is a matter of personal psychology. Do you want to believe a player is best because of what he achieves for himself or best for what he achieves for the team. But a team is 25 players. Yes, and when they win they are the best 25 players, be it for a game, a series, a month, a season. Being a baseball fan for over 50+ years, preceding free agency, when players where signed by scouting or acquired by trades, I often wondered why did a player achieve more when he was traded to one team or another as compared to who he was playing for. As time passed I realized players achieved more because they where in situations they preferred and thrived on. Others did worse because they where not in situations they where satisfied with. I started talking to players relatively consistently in the seventies after I met with Mr.S. He helped fund my work.
    In the nineties I and the WIN METHOD where ready. Mr.S. and I made a ten year deal, which was just recently renewed for ten more years. Getting back to basics. The WIN METHOD became most feasible with the onset of players being allowed to sign with whomever they wished. The magic words “whomever they wished”. Some poster in a recent thread stated Pedro Martinez would never play for the YANKEES and would rather play on the dirt fields in the Dominican Republic. Fine, then ask yourselves, why on earth would the YANKEES want to sign him? Why would any team want to sign him if he would not be in a situation he was happy with? Getting to our psychological difference in looking at players. The statisticians and the stat fans feel the best players are the one who attain the gaudiest of individual stats, whatever they may be. And it makes no difference if the player or his team wins. Now the difference, the WIN METHOD people believe that winning is why baseball is played and winning makes for who is best. Right the team wins. That is the point and the goal of the game. NOT INDIVIDUAL SUCCESS. The team consists of 25 players and the 25 best players win the World Series every year. The WIN METHOD is based on stats also. Just a different way of judging the. ‘A’ hits 50 HRs in 600 ABs. ‘B’ hits 40 HRs in 400 Abs. As stat people you can see the stats in two perspectives. Who is best. Depends on how you wish to see it. The WIN METHOD sees everything in the terms of WINS. The team wins because of what its players do to help the team win. And the team doesn’t need to have any player in the top of any individual achievement category. It may have, but it doesn’t have to have. The only category the team wants to lead in is WINS. The best players achieve this for the team and therefor themselves. In essence you guys measure a player on his individual stats, the WIN METHOD people measure a player on his ability to allow a team to WIN. A difference in psychology.

MLB ERA
    Someone gave me a negative comment from this thread. That hurt. If it was from any other comment I made, that would be fine. I expect that. But this one hurt.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Negative comment? Man people that do that are just plain weak.

MLB ERA
    If I had a soul or a conscience, I'd be crying now.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    If I had a soul or a conscience, I'd be crying now.

MLB ERA
    Where has "win method" ever been used outside of the forums? Is this a media catch phrase or just some local goofball's idea?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast