Thread: Arod says he's not as close to Jeter as he once was

MLB ERA

Arod says he's not as close to Jeter as he once was

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Tell me something I don't already know...
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Rookie ERA
    Because they failed to reach the World Series miserably ever since the Yankees got A-Rod? Sometimes friendships always don't work very well in same team especially best friends.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    And now for Jeter's response...

TAMPA, Fla. -- Maintaining they have a fine relationship on the field and in the clubhouse, Derek Jeter resolutely refused to discuss the deterioration of his friendship with Alex Rodriguez away from the ballpark.

One day after A-Rod finally acknowledged the pair no longer are best friends, Jeter sat in the same first-base dugout at Legends Field and was asked to respond.

"I don't have a rift with Alex," the New York Yankees captain said Tuesday. "We go out there. We work together. This is our fourth year to be playing together. It's annoying to hear about it all the time. Everyone assumes they know what our relationship is. Everyone assumes -- they see us on the field, if one person gives another one a look, it's a story. If we're at opposite ends of the bench, people say it's a story."

Shortly after arriving at spring training on Monday, Rodriguez said it was time for him to stop pretending that his relationship with Jeter was as close as it was in the 1990s. The pair have drifted apart since Rodriguez made critical remarks in a 2001 Esquire article.

"I don't see the relevance of it," Jeter said. "It has no bearing on us playing baseball."

Jeter refused to say how close he and Rodriguez are away from the ballpark.

"How would I characterize it? I would characterize it as it doesn't make a difference," he said. "What we do away from the field, how much time we spend together, really makes no difference when we're playing."

Coming up through the Yankees' organization and becoming a key component of the unit that won four World Series titles from 1996-2000, Jeter has worked hard to avoid discussing his private life.

"I understand my job is public, but your personal life is your personal life. Once you open that door, it doesn't stop," he said. "Away from the field, people want to keep tabs on how many times we go out to eat, things like that. That has no bearing on what we're trying to do."

Jeter was criticized by some last year for not voicing sufficient support for Rodriguez, who struggled during the regular season and was booed at Yankee Stadium.

"From Day One I've said I support Alex," he said. "The only thing I'm not going to do is tell the fans what to do. ... I don't think it's my job to tell fans to boo or not to do."
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Welp it must be baseball season as ESPN and the East Coast media have swung into full drama central around the Red Sux and Yank-Me's.

Why is this news? Does anybody really give a crap?

I think that it would be hard for anyone to be friend with A-Rod right now. With all he is going through + he is already a cocky person. Jeter is more relaxed not to mention loved in NY.
    2007 NL MVP AWARD WINNER: ANDRUW JONES

MLB ERA
    Yeah usually friends stick for friends, but Jeter thinks he's too ****ing good to stick up for Arod, when Jeter can easily stick up for the roider Giambi, but not Arod? Who the **** would want to be friends with that *****? I sure as hell wouldn't!

MLB ERA
    Two words for everyone, followed up by 2 more...

Who Cares
    And why?

Who they chill with is their business not all of Americas.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes