Thread: We are going global!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

We are going global!

Baseball tournament to be played in '06
    Full details to be revealed during All-Star break
    By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- The World Baseball Classic, a World Cup-type tournament that Major League Baseball has been planning for at least two years, is on.
    The tournament, which will include Major League players in international competition for the first time, is to be played during Spring Training 2006, Commissioner Bud Selig announced on Wednesday after the 30 owners' quarterly meeting.

The tentative dates are March 4-20, with an Asian qualifying tournament played at the front end of it and the finals a possibility for San Diego's PETCO Park. The full details will be formally revealed by MLB a day before the July 12 All-Star Game at Detroit's Comerica Park, Selig said.

"Our goal is to grow the game globally. I have very strong feelings on that subject," Selig said at a press conference. "This is something we've talked about for a long time. The time really is now. This is the centerpiece of that."

The tournament, originally targeted for this past spring, was delayed for a year primarily to accommodate the Japanese, who couldn't field a team in 2005 because of contraction and restructuring of their major leagues, Nippon Professional Baseball. It is likely Japan's team will be part of the expected 16-squad field next spring.

If all goes according to plan, the tournament would be held again in 2009, and then every four years after that.

Paul Archey, MLB's vice president of international business operations, said invitations will be sent out to countries in North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia. Some of the likely participants are Japan, Korea, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, the Dominican Republic, the Netherlands, Italy, Cuba and, of course, the United States.

All, except Cuba, would be able to pull from MLB talent to stock their national teams. The Cubans would bring their own nationals.

Archey said that having Cuba involved is a necessary component to staging a successful tournament. Cuba has been a world powerhouse in baseball for decades. It has won numerous gold medals in the Olympics, the International Baseball Federation (IBAF) World Cup and the Pan American Games.

A precedent for Cuba playing in the U.S. was set in 1999, when the national team took on the Orioles in a pair of exhibition games. One game was played in Havana, the other in Baltimore's Camden Yards.

"We're going to issue an invitation to Cuba, and we're working with [the U.S.] State Department on the matter," Archey said. "Cuba has dominated competition on the international level for many years. We certainly want them to attend."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I am sorry but I hate this idea. This ruins players spring training and divides up teams. The baseball season is already long enough without this. What the hell are the Olympics for?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Olympics are for Amateurs, not Pros.
    Wow what is the point for spring training, they are still playing competive baseball. I get tired of just seeing starting pitchers to 3 innings and go rid a damn bike and Star Hitters getting one AB and go play golf.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    And dividing teams? They will have a week and a half to be with their teams before the season starts. That's not gonna cut it. And what if the star of your team gets hurt in a meaningless game in March playing intense baseball rather than playing his normal 5 innings? Then I will hear you *****ing.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep, I like the idea of it being competetive against other countries. But it is stupid to have it during ST. I would have it done after the season is over. Make an All Star team, kind of like the one that went to play in Japan (I think it was there) not long ago. Do it after the season when players usually have winter leagues. Make it a short tournament that way.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    And dividing teams? They will have a week and a half to be with their teams before the season starts. That's not gonna cut it. And what if the star of your team gets hurt in a meaningless game in March playing intense baseball rather than playing his normal 5 innings? Then I will hear you *****ing.

would it be any different if he got hurt in the meaninless ST game either?
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    I am sorry but I hate this idea. This ruins players spring training and divides up teams. The baseball season is already long enough without this. What the hell are the Olympics for?
    I agree with you. I am not into the All-Star Game to begin with. I can care less about the World Cup. I doubt fans would care either. It's a waste of time for everyone. The only reason MLB is doing that just to make more money. MLB is a cash cow as it is, but apparently, that's not enough.

I guess it was bound to happen with lot of Latin Americans, Asians, and Canadians being in this sport now as MLB was going to try copy the NHL's format of North Americans vs. Europeans in their All-Star Game.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    IIRC they were thinking of doing away with baseball as an olympic sport...this is to replace that and allow pros

MLB ERA
    man this is going to be awesome, fun to watch i cant wait

I think if this was set even a month earlier, it'd be a better idea considering they use pros.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    would it be any different if he got hurt in the meaninless ST game either?
    Yes it would. It would be them playing for their own team. In spring training they can take it easy and not go 100%. Inthese type of games where people are gonna take it seriously, more risk of injury.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Yep, I like the idea of it being competetive against other countries. But it is stupid to have it during ST. I would have it done after the season is over. Make an All Star team, kind of like the one that went to play in Japan (I think it was there) not long ago. Do it after the season when players usually have winter leagues. Make it a short tournament that way.

yea good idea they should wait till the seaon is over

During Spring Training is just a bad timing. Not many players are going to take it seriously. They won't risk it to hurt themselves before the regular season. Why can't the 12-game(?) Japan tour expand? We could include other countries as well for a tournament.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by aTrUeCUBsFaN
    During Spring Training is just a bad timing. Not many players are going to take it seriously. They won't risk it to hurt themselves before the regular season. Why can't the 12-game(?) Japan tour expand? We could include other countries as well for a tournament.
    Very true. Thats an ideao expen the 12- game Japan tour expand