Thread: Offseason Scorecard: NL Central

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Offseason Scorecard: NL Central

Give a grade and reasons for your grade based on their offseasons. I chose to start with the division with the defending champs.

St. Louis Cardinals- B. The only reason they got this high of a score is because they extended Chris Carpenter's contract which was huge. They got better defensively at second in Kennedy and they will move Wainwright to the rotation. Resigning Mulder will give them a lefty for the last stretch of the season. They added some veterans like Franklin and Springer to help out that young bullpen.

Houston Astros- C+. They went out and got the power hitting run producer (Lee) they have needed to back up Berkman. Problem is they lost two of their starters along with some really good prospects. Replacing Clemens and Pettitte with Woody Williams and Jason Jennings isn't good at all. Plus they have their future second baseman playing centerfield and he is coming off shoulder surgery. They didn't address the back of the bullpen

Chicago Cubs- B-.
    They got probably the best position player on the market in Soriano. Then they signed Wood for cheap and also added Lilly and Marquis to the shore up the rotation. The Lilly contract blows ass but they still got a lefty in there. The DeRosa contract was a huge mistake which brings the grade down to minus. But adding Soriano to a lineup with Ramirez and Lee is that sandbox of a park is going to get them a lot of runs for guys like Zambrano and Prior.

Cincinnati Reds- D. The Reds haven't really done anything to better their ballclub. They got worse at least offensively at SS by signing Gonzalez. They addressed the bullpen situation, which was a sore spot, by only signing Stanton. Granted, this team had a lot of pieces already in place but the rotation needed a lot of work and the only thing they did about it is get Saarloos which still isn't that impressive.

Milwaukee Brewers- B. The Brewers upgraded offensively when they traded for Estrada. They also got a solid number three starter in Suppan to back up Sheets and Capuano. They also strenghtened the bench by getting Counsell and Graffanino considering the injuries to Weeks, Hardy and Koskie. Making room for Hall in the everyday lineup and removing Clark is a big plus.

Pittsburgh Pirates- C-. The only significant move was getting Adam LaRoche. That's great if they bat him behind Bay which so far doesn't seem like that's what they are going to do. They did absolutely nothing to help their main weakness which was starting pitching. Plus the don't have a very good bench at all.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Ok.. Here I go!

St. Louis (B-): Signing Carpenter was their key move. If Mulder can return to form then the Cardinals grade goes up to a B+ or A-.

Houston (C): Signing Lee was huge, Letting Pettite go will hurt, and that probably means Clemens will NOT be back either. Woody Williams and Jason Jennings will cushion the blow a little, but it is a huge step backwards. Williams health is always a ? mark. SO the Astros struggled to score runs the past couple of years and now it looks like they may have a hard time not giving up runs!

Chicago (B+/A-): Soriano is huge offensively, but they don't really know where he is going to play in the field, I know CF is proabably where he will end up. If Lilly and Marquis give them anything, the Cubs will be tough, and if Wood can become their closer also! On paper the Cubs look to be improving, but I think there are too many ?marks still! Lots of what if's.

Milwaukee (B-/B): Signing Suppan is good, and getting Estrada and some utility players is a bonus. But what hurts the Brewers is not being able to get rid of Jenkins, Mench, and/or Clark hurts they ability to the pitching more and minors as well!

Cincinnati (D): The Reds are trying to be aggressive and sign players, but why are they signing the players that they have? Getting Saarloos and making an attemot to pursue players are the only reason they got a passing grade from me!

Pittsburgh (C): Getting LaRoche helps, but losing Gonzalez hurts! I give them an A for effort in attempting to sign and/or trade to upgrade the team!

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    i still dont understand why the derosa contract was a huge minus. cubs are a large market team and can more than afford to overspend for a superutility player. I'd agree with your grades, reefer but wouldnt downgrade for derosa, but instead for marquis.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I personally liked the DeRosa signing! IMO, he is finally coming into his own and realizing his ability. I have always enjoyed watching him when he was a Brave, I think he just pressed too much early in his career!

ON SIDE NOT, I WISH TBS WOULD BRING BACK THE BRAVES' GAMES, CAUSE LIVING IN THE MIDWEST, I GET SICK OF CUBS/WHITE SOX ON T.V. ALL THE TIME!!! I USE TO WATCH THE BRAVES ALMOST EVERY NIGHT. CAUSE I DO NOT LIVE IN WISOCONSIN TO WATCH THE BREWERS. PLUS MY WIFE DOES NOT LIKE IT WHEN I WATCH MY TEAMS ON THE TUBE, CAUSE I AM STRESSED OUT AND FRUSTRATED QUITE A BIT, AS YOU CAN ALL IMAGINE BEING A BREWER FAN TAKES PATIENCE AND I DON'T ALWAYS DISPLAY PROPER BEHAVIOR, IF YOU CATCH MY DRIFT!!! HAHAHAHA.... ME WATCHING BREWERS/STEELERS ON THE TUBE!!!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I am going to update my Cardinals grade because they look to be loosing Weaver to the Mariners and I feel that this is a MAJOR blow to their plans for 2007!!!

CARDINALS NEW GRADE (C/C-)

The only team that did a great job overall this offseason is the Cubs. They've improved their sucky team vastly by firing Baker, signing Lily, Soriano, Derosa.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Now after the 3 signings by the Astors yesterday, I am going to change their grade as well. Not re-signing Petitte and Clemens still hurts their grade!!!

ASTROS NEW GRADE (B-)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500
    i still dont understand why the derosa contract was a huge minus. cubs are a large market team and can more than afford to overspend for a superutility player. I'd agree with your grades, reefer but wouldnt downgrade for derosa, but instead for marquis.
    Its the fact that DeRosa's not that good and making a shit ton more than he's worth. I know they can afford it but he simply blows and that's the reason for the minus. He's just not a good signing.