Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breaking News

I'm not going to lay too much on Baird. He can only do what he can with the owners' cash. Did he really want to get rid of guys like Damon and Beltran? I doubt it. Did he have to due to money and to get something for them? I think so.

AA ERA
    Great point, Fisher. David Glass has been a disgrace. Doesn't he own Wal-mart? You would think he would use his Wal-mart money and at least keep one of his best players. Royals need an owner who loved the game. They haven't have that since Ewing Kaufman passed away.

It's not fair that Baird has to take the fall, but that's just the way it is when you are losing.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The owner for the Royals get 30 million in luxury tax and revenue sharing. He is a disgrace to the game and KC should put up a fight.

I'll defend Glass. He doesn't own Wal Mart, he just works for them. As for the luxury tax, people want these teams to spend it all every year. But that's not where the Royals are right now. Why spend that money on players that aren't going to truly help them? Put the money in the bank and let it build up some for when you have a chance to resign guys like Greinke or Bautista maybe we can keep a few of them. Or maybe when they young players start to mature and play well, add a piece or two to help get over that hump. Would Carlos Beltran really make this team a contender right now? The Royals had their highest payroll ever last year and they had their worst season ever. They need to spend it wiser no doubt, but spending it just to spend it isn't the way to go either.

Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    I love that kid, Andrew Sisco. He can throw some heat. I think they should have him as a closer. He reminds me a lot like Joe Nathan. I saw him pitch against the Twins few weeks ago and he was dealing.
    Andy is more suited as a starter. He can go long, but he needs have his attitude fix. (Hating Hendry for not protecting Anyd over 3 open spot in the 40-men roster).
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

KS: I see your point, but don't you think Beltran (and at the time, Damon) were young enough to be worth a long-term commitment, giving enough time for the prospects to come. I know they've kept Sweeney these past few years...

They HAD to keep Sweeney with every one else leaving or knowing they would leave. To Sweeney's credit he took less to stay in KC. Damon basically punked the Royals saying he would do the same but when it came down to it he wouldn't. Beltran was bound to get a huge contract and did so, even if it wasn't as big as many expected. He said he wanted to stay in KC, but it was obvious it wasn't going to happen. Personally I would had rather kept Beltran than Sweeney, but it's tough to trade Sweeney with him injured and the loyalty he has shown. Both Damon and Beltran also Scott Boras as an agent, which also didn't help the Royals. It also should be noted that Damon was here and gone after the new revenue sharing came about. Which by the way, David Glass has been a major advocate an a significant reason for the small market teams in helping them gain what little help they've gained.

It would have been nice to keep Beltran and Damon, but it didn't happen. But those guys show that the Royals can and have had good players develop in their system. Even now it isn't expected that we'll have most of these young players in six years if they pan out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123