Thread: The 2007 amateur draft to be televised?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The 2007 amateur draft to be televised?

For the first time, the June draft is scheduled to be televised, with either ESPN or TBS likely as the host, said a person who was part of meetings on the matter. The plan is to televise the first and second rounds, and the sandwich round in between.
    Link

This is sweet news if it happens. It's always seemed so lame that the MLB has never had television coverage. The draft is almost the unofficial start of summer for myself, and what better way to kick it off then by ensuring I will be glued in front of the TV instead of be tempted to go outside for awhile in between picks made by the Reds. And speaking of which, it will be just delightful to know all the faces of who is causing my misery with the idiotic picks.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    TBS, intriguing. This should be interesting to watch, and see who ends up .. "hosting" it. Ugh if it is Chris Berman or Stu Scott..
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    This would be totally awesome. You can't possibly tell me that you wouldn't tune in to watch this. Only problem is that it wouldn't be like the NFL and NBA drafts where ESPN shows you the players waiting in the green room, then some highlight footage from that player in college or high school, then cut to some insider analysis. The hugest downside is that when the players are drafted, they won't stroll up to a stage with their pimp suits, shake hands with Bud Selig, throw on the team jersey and a flat-billed baseball cap and pose for pictures.

MLB ERA
    I'd love it if they actually analyzed these guys too...

MLB ERA
    This will be awful. Teams don't even get together for the draft. They just phone it in.

Los Angelos Dodgers GM
    Rookie ERA
    It is very boring. I have been in the room while they were drafting and it wasn't that exciting. Television would be very boring. No way they get ratings/advertising to have this on.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I actually watched the first round and sandwich round on MLB.com's live draft show; they had hosts and all, as well as some MLB executive come up to a podium to announce the selections.

But if ESPN produces the show, I would assume that the show would be much more watchable. They'd at least hype it up.

MLB ERA
    I'm looking forward to it.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

AA ERA
    I would be interested as well. True, it may take true baseball fans to be interested enough to watch but all the same, I know I would be one that would surely tune in.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Rookie ERA
    If they actaully do this, it will be something really different. Of course I think it will be way better on ESPN the TBS.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    I actually watched the first round and sandwich round on MLB.com's live draft show; they had hosts and all, as well as some MLB executive come up to a podium to announce the selections.

But if ESPN produces the show, I would assume that the show would be much more watchable. They'd at least hype it up.

We'd see some 18 year old prospect outfielder doing Under Armor click clack commercials. Oh joy!
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Considering that the average fan doesn't know who these guys are, I don't think the show would get much viewership. These guys won't show up in the majors for 2 or so years, so the fans won't see the picks too quickly.
    In football and basketball, the guys are on the team next season and are very visible right away.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    This wouldn't be very interesting to watch and probably isn't worth producing.

But hey, that hasn't stopped them before.