Thread: Selig's Retirement Plans

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Selig's Retirement Plans

Commissioner Bud Selig said Saturday that he plans to retire after his contract expires in three years.
    Selig originally indicated he'd retire at the end of his previous contract. Now it seems like he's moving closer to stepping down for good. "My contract runs for the next three-plus years. I’ll be 75 years of age and ... I want to teach and write a book and do some other things," he said.
    Teach? Teach what? How to turn your back to baseball's problems?

MLB ERA
    My first reaction when I read the title was "good". Mr. Selig has not been a good commissioner, IMO. His reign has been one of turmoil and labor unrest, much of which was his doing (again, IMO).
    Possible candidates for this job would have to include at least one former player -- Cal Ripken maybe -- Bob Costas (or some other media person), and someone from academia, ala Bart Giamatti.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Well we got something to look forward to in 3 years.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Baseball just has to survive until then, which I'm sure it will. Baseball is a resilient game and will be OK, I'm sure.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I agree catman... I know Selig has done some great things for baseball. I love the wild card format as it is now. I still like interleague play. It gives fans of each league an opportunity to see the other leagues players in person. I just wish interleague play was tweaked a bit. Like maybe play every team in the opposite league in a two game series, and keep their natural rivalry series format the same. We can still play the last 2-4 weeks of the season against our division foes, so that still gives us an opportunity to make a playoff run!!! The MLB plays 162 games a year, my goodness lets split it up more. I have always wished for that since I was a kid. During the season play a 2 game series in ine half at home and then at their place the second half!!!!!!

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Three years from now? Three years from now and they are making a big deal outta this? We can thank God for small miracles when he is gone. He shoulda stepped down years ago.
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    costas would make a great comish i think, he lives for the game of baseball and is very oldschool.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I agree ghetto!!! I have always thought that myself!!! I just don't think Costas would do it!