Thread: Top Free Agents Available: Thirdbasemen

Top Free Agents Available: Thirdbasemen

This will be the fourth in a series that I will bring to you all that will encompass each position on the diamond, and the best free agents available. I will give a brief about the player's past season, as well as some pros and cons that come with each player. I will finish up with a list of teams that might have interest in the player.

1.) Aramis Ramirez
    Skinny: Far and away, Ramirez is the best third baseman on the market this year. He was signed to a deal through 2008, but exercised an opt-out clause in his contract that makes him a free agent. While the predominant theory at the time was that Ramirez would just sign another contract with the Cubs, he looks prepared to listen to other offers.

Pros: Name anything. Ramirez is extremely balanced. Last season, he hit .291, with 38 homers, 119 RBIs, and scored 93 times. One of the better defensive third basemen in the league, with a rocket for an arm. Ramirez possesses a great work ethic, as evidenced by an average that his risen from the .260 to .290 level over the past few seasons, and a cutdown on strikeouts.

Cons: There really isn’t anything not to like about Ramirez. When he has a problem, he sets to work on correcting it. The big knocks on him- plate discipline and strikeouts- have been corrected over the past few years, and now Ramirez is headed for a large payday.

Interested Teams: The Cubs certainly want to bring Ramirez back, as Derrek Lee and Ramirez is a potent 3-4 combination for their lineup. The Phillies are also interested in a third baseman, a weak spot ever since trading Scott Rolen. In addition, teams like the Orioles and Red Sox who have flexible rosters and options, could make a push for Ramirez.

2.) Aubrey Huff
    Skinny: Huff had another up and down season in 2006, finishing with a .267 average, 21 home runs, and 66 RBIs. After being traded from Tampa Bay to Houston, Huff struggled, which is surprising when one considers that Minute Maid Park is a hitter’s park. It is for right-handers, but not for left-handers like Huff. His average with the Astros dropped .33 points to .250 while with the Astros.

Pros: Very good left-handed power hitter, who can put up 25-30 per year, and drive in upwards of 100 runs. Has a career .285 average, and .342 OBP. Can play third, as well as first and the corner outfield spots.

Cons: Will strike out close to 100 times, and isn’t very adept at drawing walks. Huff can play multiple positions, but his defense is average at best.

Interested Teams: The Nationals could look to Huff to provide a solution in left field, as well as a potential first base replacement if Nick Johnson continues to struggle with injuries. The Padres are looking for more offense, and could make a move for Huff. Back in the American League, the Angels could take a look at Huff for a left-handed bat in the middle of the order, and who could play at various positions, as well as DH.

3.) Pedro Feliz
    Skinny: The Giants everyman for the past few seasons finally received consistant AB’s at one position last season, and turned in an admirable year. Feliz had a .244 average, with 22 homers and 98 RBIs.

Pros: Flexible with where he can play. Feliz can play third, short, first, and the corner outfield positions. He can play either one with good defense, and rotate. He also can hit 20 or so home runs, providing a solid power presence near the bottom of the order, who can also bat runners in.

Cons: Average has dropped from .276 in 2004, to .250 in 2005, and .244 last season. Feliz has struck out 100 times in each of the past two seasons.

Interested Teams: Any team looking for a flexible player who can start. The Cardinals front office has vowed not to stand pat, and Feliz could be an addition for left field, as well as insuration in case Scott Rolen’s shoulder acts up again. The Phillies could use him as a consolation prize if they lose out on Ramirez. He would be a cheap solution for the Dodgers if they do not re-sign Garciaparra, to split time with James Loney, and to provide depth at other positions.

4.) Rich Aurilia
    Skinny: At 34, Aurilia had a revival playing around the infield for the Reds. He averaged an exact .300 on the season, with 20 homers, and 73 RBIs. It was his second time hitting .300 in his career, the first time was back in 2001.

Pros: Can play around the infield wherever required. Can hit double-digit home run totals, probably topping out around 20, and will probably come cheap to a team.

Cons: Now being 35, Aurilia will not be seeing much time at shortstop, and will likely spend most of his time at third. His .300 average looks to be an aberration, as Aurilia is a career .278 hitter. Not known to draw walks, either.

Interested Teams: The Giants could look to bring Aurilia back to replace Feliz, especially now that Barry Bonds is gone. The Dodgers could be interested in adding Aurilia as insurance at third, but more than likely a platoon player with Loney if Garciaparra isn’t brought back. One thing for sure, it is doubtful Aurilia will leave the NL.

4.) Scott Spiezio
    Skinny: Spiezio comes straight off of a World Series victory, and onto the free agent market. He played a valuable role for the Cardinals, as he played both first and third when Albert Pujols and Scott Rolen were on the shelf with injuries. In 276 AB’s, Spiezio hit .272, with 13 home runs and 52 RBIs.

Pros: Solid bat for the bottom of a lineup. Double-digit home runs, and around a .260 average. Can play the corner infield positions, and a few seasons ago, played some in the outfield. Perfect player for a platoon, or for injury replacement.

Cons: Not a true starter at either position. Spiezio just doesn’t have the power to justify a full-time start at either corner infield, and even the outfield. In addition, he struggled the past two seasons, with a .215 average in 2004, and .064 in just 29 games last season.

Interested Teams: The Cardinals could bring back Spiezio, because both Pujols and Rolen have potential long-term injuries that could flare up again. With shoulder problems dogging Derrek Lee, the Cubs may bring in Spiezio to provide a quality backup for a season or two.

-------------------------------------------------

Feel free to comment about any player on the list, or a player you think should be on the list. Throw out another team for some of these players. This was meant to serve as a free agency primer for you guys, so lets get some discussion going.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Pedro Feliz, Rich Aurilia and Scott Spiezio as top free agents available =

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    And sadly, all but Aramis are used often at other positions. Great class for 3B's no doubt.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Feliz sucks and he is Marvin Bernard all over again especially if the Giants give him a fat deal.

MLB ERA
    You forgot to include Tony Batista. I do believe he is not under contract for next season (for a very good reason).
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by A'sDiehard
    Feliz sucks and he is Marvin Bernard all over again especially if the Giants give him a fat deal.
    Amen brotha!

MLB ERA
    Scratch Aramis Ramirez from the list. He resigned with the Cubs. http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6163558
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Akinori Iwamura is probably #1 now that Ramirez is gone, and he's not even on your list.

And if you're using Spiezio and Huff, you might as well list Nomar, because he may be signed to play third(although it wouldn't benefit his health).

Quote Originally Posted by Witlon
    Akinori Iwamura is probably #1 now that Ramirez is gone, and he's not even on your list.

And if you're using Spiezio and Huff, you might as well list Nomar, because he may be signed to play third(although it wouldn't benefit his health).
    I didn't do any Japanese, Korean or other foreign players for these lists. Simply put, I don't know enough about them, never having seen them play. At least with the major league players, I've seen them play a few times a year. I would be lying if I tried to make an evaluation on Iwamura or Matsuzaka, and it isn't fair to you readers to be mis-informed.

MLB ERA
    I appreciate the honesty. It is difficult to tell how a Japanese or Korean player will adapt to the game and life-style here. There have been examples of them doing very well -- Ichiro, Matsui (NYY), and examples of them not doing as well -- Kaz Matsui, Irabu.